Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log Splitter

• 05-08-2024 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a Log Splitter as lots of timber to cut and split an with so many trees dying it looks like there will be plenty of work for it going forward.

So what's the best makes out there and best value ones.

Is the auto-return a must have on them or not - other than that I don't see much difference in them.

Been looking at donedeal and see loads selling Malone, Kentec, MB, Tusk, Mann etc.

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've a carrolls, very good and well made, The table on it is about four foot wide and if I was buying again I'd make sure it had a four foot table. I haven't an auto return but I should have it auto return, probably wouldn't be that much more expensive

https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/logsplitter/26680490?modal=gallery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

Don't think you'll buy a new one with auto-return, a good size table is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For safety reasons, the operator should be able to stop the movement of the splitter at all times. Also two hands have to be on the controls at all times. Auto return could be dangerous if a log gets caught in the wedge and lifts up with it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have one here from Moyvalley Engineering in Kildare, not sure if they are still about, no auto return but I manage ok. Having a large table say 4ft wide would be would great and that the table is at waist height so not bending down. Table to be smooth with no pointy bits on the table that catch the timber under the log splitter. Much easier to move around timber on a smooth table. For me top priorities

1- well built

2- Table at waist height

3- Large table

4- Auto return

Likely to be some on display at Tullamore show this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Oh I get ya not having the auto return is a safety feature and as mentioned by @148multi it doesn't come on new splitters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭divillybit

I've a Tusk log splitter 3 point linkage log splitter, it's one that doesn't have the stand section so it can be lowered to the ground and a big heavy round of timber can be rolled onto it and then raised it up using the lift arms to waist height. The table could do with being bigger but that's only for the really big rounds of tree you'd need the bigger table.

What price are the Tusk ?

I priced a couple myself yesterday:

Malone - 1250

Kentec - 1350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Big table is a gift even if you are doing small rings. If you have help then you can have somebody lining up the rings on the table and fierce handy for the big ones that need more than a single split as you have less bending down for the broken pieces. The one I have only has a 3' table but I made another 4' one that is the same height that I use alongside it. If I was buying again then I would definitely go with the biggest table possible. Some kind of a log lifter too for the future when the back might not be so strong would be another addition I would make.

The Tusk was 800 euro 3 years ago when I bought it new in Headford. I got the painted one rather that the galvanised one. I drilled part of it so I can bolt on a ball hitch and hook on the builders trailer and bring out a load of split timber without needing to take off the splitter off the tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

Hand engineering do a nice log splitter as-well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Biggest table ya can get is a must. Some pain in the back having to pick up split bits for another run. Plus big rings are a total hoor as ya'd have to hold them while splitting.

Auto return is fierce handy but be careful if a piece gets wedged it will lift it back. Ideally ya could stop it on the way back up so be able to turn on/off the auto return feature.

Don't use it on a tractor with a turbo. Or so I was told. Not sure why but I presume it's bad news for the turbo to be ticking over for a long time.

Any issue or concerns the fact the wedge is welded on as opposed to bolted onto the ram on the Tusk and Malone ?

No I'd have no concerns that way. Log splitter have their limitations too in that if you have a gnarly knotty bit then it's best not to try split that as the wedge will go into it alright and the bit of timber won't split so the wedge gets stuck in the timber. Needed the sledge to beat off a knotty bit of timber that the wedge embedded itself in before. So the operator must be aware of the bits of timber that will difficult to split so best to leave them aside. Any bits like that I put on my log holder and secure it and cut it again with the chainsaw..

Use the log splitter like you would an axe. Pick where to split each time so it doesn't get caught. I find splitting at the edge first good. Big tables are better too. I'm going to extend the table on my home made one, when I get the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Are the electric ones any good? Or to be avoided?

NNo problem getting a tractor here but Just wondering if there are any advantages to the electric ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

I definitely need to buy a log splitter huge number of dead ash here to be knocked. Never seen a log splitter in action. So excuse me asking dumb question. Is the table to save your back stooping? Saw the one wrangler has on Donedeal looks good and seemed widest table out there. Anyone thoughts on one below? Like fact you can use it in a shed just dump the timber in and not need a tractor on the go. Thanks

https://www.hartnett-products.ie/products/new-16-ton-electric-pto-dual-mode-log-splitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

Hartnett do a good looking 12 ton electric splitter, I'm going in to have a look at it next week to see what it's like. I had an hydraulic one but sold it lately as the tractor is loud and a pain to be trying to put it on and take off so I'll go with an electric and see what it's like at least there won't be a tractor running and I can split away inside with more room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

And some of the older tractors have very slow pumps mf 35s 135s etc and they're very slow and you might be better off with Electric

This is the same as the one I bought, very manageable for putting on or taking it off the tractor. I find the size of the table is fine. Twas the cheapest one too that I priced, €800 I gave for it and will last a lifetime. It's great to be able to lower it to the ground to roll big rounds onto it and lift it up to waist height. Have to knock off the constant pumping when lifting the arms though. Hydraulic top link helps alot too as with a big round you can angle back the splitter towards the tractor so the rounds wouldn't be inclined to fall towards the operator. I had considered an electric one from harnetts but a tractor mounted one is more versatile in that you're not limited by having to be near a power supply required for the electric ones.

Another thing that might be of interest. Pic above from Hand Eng. I find it useful on mine. 3 different heights to split. So I split the smaller stuff first and if there are some pieces too big to fit, I change the ram to a higher setting and split these last. Simple but useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭flyer_query

that’s the crowd that were on tg4 contractors, the show featured them making and demoing it, looked well thought out and made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I do quiet a bit of timber for the house. I never put the splitter anymore onto the back of the tractor. I leave it in a shed and just got a set of hoses made up to keep the tractor 30 ft away and outside the shed. I just gather the timber off the fields in the summer, tip in the calf shed and cut up for the winter. The idea be hind the long hoses is that you can hook up easy even if you have a machine on the back of the tractor and do half an hour splitting quick and easy in the dry.

Kentec splitter here for over 12 years. A tapered wedge from hardox and pinned in the event that you have to take off the ram. The taper pushes timber apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

As someone who suffered a fractured skull due to exploding ash from a splitter.

Dangerous machines.

Between Kentec and Mann which would ye go for?

https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/kentec-logsplitter/32573289

https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/log-splitter/32721594

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Unless you have a lot of work for a log splitter i would not buy.. i rent one that you pull behind the jeep from the local hire company..it runs on petrol..it has plenty power.. if you have rings lined up you would get through a savage amount of work in a weekend..i cant remember exactly but i think it was 120 for the weekend last time i got it out....just an alternative option..

Or another option would be to buy the splitter between 2 or 3 neighbours to soften the money blow.

With amount of work you'd have for it very doubtful any of ye would want it the same day.

Hard to know both look good quality.

The wedge is a better shape on the Kentec but the table is bigger on the Mann.

How much is the Mann ?

I see one box section and the other is RSJ. Which would be better, my gut feeling says the RSJ.

The mann is 1150 vat incl

Kentec is 1350 vat incl

• Advertisement

Didnt notice the difference in cobstruction.....I would have thought box section would be stronger...assuming it's a decent thickness...

If you took an RSJ and box section made with equal thickness steel and applied a twisting/bending force I'd think the rsj would bend/twist first

But that's only a guess based on the rsj being a single piece with two ends to form the h shape...to deformed the box I'd guess you have to twist deformed four faces and they might distribute a load better than rsj.....assuming it's not a weak weld keeping it together down one seam that would pop.…

Paid €800 for a new kentec with a longer ram and stroke in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I think you can buy direct from Kentec themselves also, they might be able to do a bit better than the above.

No they are 1350 direct also as priced them about 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

I made one a good few years ago .

ThThe ram i used had more than 2.5ft of a stroke on it.

You can line up 5 rings under it. Then with a 4 way wedge, it can split a lot of timber quick.

I have brackets on it to use it on a front loader too, so you can lift and lower it to where you might want it. You can split timber off a trailer at trailer level, into a wheelbarrow.

Any chance of a few photographs, would love to see this mighty contraption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

Picture quality a bit poor. Log splitter is at the back of a shed and hasnt been used in a while.

Main beam is 12x6 rsj. Wedge is 1ft of cutting edge sharpened with a belt sander welded to the end of the ram..

Table is 10mm checkered plate approx 2ft by 2fr. Ram is off the back actor of a 50b. I have a 4 way wedge that bolts on .

Legs are removable so can drop to within a foot of the ground.

Brackets on it to go on the front of the 50hx which runs it at tickover.

Most of tge parts on it were scrap tgat got repurposed. It was a project when i was 16

Cutting firewood is all about keeping the handling to a minimum. I slide the heavy rings of timber from the side of the trailer directly on to the splitter. My timber shed has a low roof so can't get the tractor in there. If I had a proper setup I'd fill an IBC cage and lift it with the forklift arms. For the moment I use these plastic tubs to move the logs into the shed. Simple but effective.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

I got the tusk one with the stand last year for €1150 delivered. It’s galvanised and I got him to put the auto return on it. Find the auto return great, you can be gone getting the next piece and it’s always ready to go. I have split 8 13x8 trailer load so far with it. Stand is handy too as I have actually never put it onto the tractor, it’s left at the shed and I can just plug the pipes into the tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

I have a kentec as well, I find it fine but it sticks in big old knotty blocks sometimes initially until you can get some of it going, does that ever happen to you? I have an old zetor and I found it wouldnt really work it at all so I have to run it on newish tractor with good hydraulics so just wondering if maybe something not quite right

I find it the person behind it that is trying to bulldoze it thru the middle of the knot. Tackling it from the sides often works well. If that doesn't work I lob that one to the side and give them a tip of the chainsaw at the end. Might be 2-3 rings for the year. The zetor has good hydraulics.

Would I be without the splitter, god no, it's a lifetime purchase for a farm if bought right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

ya same as that, I keep turning it block around till I find a spot that splits, just wondered if it was the norm. could do with table being a bit bigger but its deffo a handy tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Advertisement