Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Romulus [Fede Alvarez]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Yes, and the CGI just wasn't good enough to be convincing I'm afraid, especially the mouth movements when speaking. But here is what I would have done. The character is an android so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to vocalize without actually moving his mouth. So keep the mouth still, emote with the eyes, and it becomes much more realistic. Easy to do in the story because it is a badly damaged android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I seen this today. It was OK. A bit slow at times. Some good laughs in it. Plenty of tension which is good bug you never really care about the characters which I think is a pity.

I thought it was a little dragged out do and could have easily been 20 minutes shorter. There is plenty of easter eggs and call backs to both Alien and Alien's do which is good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

I think it’s a solid 7 out of 10. I love the alien franchise, aliens being quite comfortably the best and probably my favourite movie of all time. But I’m not precious about it in the “they didn’t need to make that or tell us the space jockey origin” kind of sensitivity.

I enjoyed Prometheus and Covenant as movies , without the “not my aliens baggage”. They are solid horror movies on their own and the fact they exist together and within aliens franchise doesn’t bother me , flaws and all.

I was concerned seeing very young characters/actors and thought this was gonna be twilight aliens. I was also worried that the usual Disney “let’s have lots of diversity and shove it in everybody’s face” culture sh*t would take away from it. Unless I missed anything I’m glad to report the movie would be at home in 80/90s where a horror action movie isn’t trying to teach us anything or lecture us. It’s people getting obliterated by aliens, thank you for that.

In terms of a review, spoiler free , it had enough ingredients to be considered a positive addition. Doesn’t break new ground , has some nods to other movies and it had a couple of cool ideas.

I have to say “it rehashes old stories or elements” as a criticism just doesn’t cut it with me. What exactly do people expect going to a movie prequel or one that admits it wants to be respectful to originals.

In this movie , people die , aliens chase them and there’s a space station. There’s callbacks to old movies. Not an awful lot of originality, but all I wanted was to be entertained and in general I was.

I’d give it solid 7 out of 10 but understand if people are a point or two up/down from it. I think as a stand-alone horror movie it works well and it kind of hits a sweet spot of “I’m not disgusted” and “I’m actually enjoying parts of this” which is enough for me. Not sure how much if rewatch it , prob would when it’s out on demand but I hope it does well.

I’d love to see more made like this, the feel and look , like with some of the books on a mine planet or even would they dare make alien isolation? A version of AI using this sort of film making would absolutely work and if done well would really bring the franchise back to the fore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Went to see it in the Point.

The end was a bit dragged out but overall I thought the Director did the best he could and I enjoyed this a lot.

A very good Alien movie. Can't complain about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

There was a scene where they have to match the roll of the ship and the station. Had a smile thinking about this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I enjoyed it but I'd probably put it below Alien 3, which I absolutely love and appreciate more the older I get.

If you're a fan of the franchise this is definitely worth seeing in the cinema.

The fan service bits didn't work for me and that's what probably dragged it down. I've no problem with a bit of good fan service but it was a miss here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good

why did she inject herself? I didnt think she was present n/or conscious for the discussion of the contents of them.

People on reddit are saying she was semi-conscious :/ hmm so clear then…

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I really enjoyed this. I would say there was probably one too many call backs to previous movies. It played like a greatest hits of the first four films.

I didn't expect the cast to be so young. I kept waiting for the grown ups to appear. But they were good, especially the lead actress.

Loved the grungy production design. Loved that it took its time to get to the action. Great pace to the second half and some very good set pieces.

Very decent effort for this installment. The set design was very nicely done. The initial planet set-up and the situation the protagonists found themselves went at a good pace. First half was quite well executed.

The early twenty something cast was a good plot driver. Some of the decision making and conflict is the kind you would see organically among a group entirely consisting of such. The lead actress was a fine choice.

On the negative fronts, a lot of the characters were extremely bland and interchangeable. Covenant did a better job at times with for instance, religious guy or grieving widow. Could have trimmed ten minutes of run time easily. The get away from her line was excruciatingly poorly done.

Would certainly watch it again down the lines, particularly after having re-familiarized myself with the other films. Would certainly recommend making the trip to the cinema as there seems to be very little Sci-fi offerings these days.

Post edited by Hande hoche! on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭head82

Just back from seeing this and I tend to agree with most of the above reviews. It was… 'grand!' It was never going to be comparable to the first two movies but holds its own comfortably within the remaining entrants in the franchise.

My one major complaint was the quality of the screening (or is it the 'look' of the movie itself?). A lot of the time I struggled to make out what was going on. Now I'm fully aware as an 'Alien' movie it was going to be dark and grungy but I'm also of an age to have seen the original 'Alien' and 'Aliens' on their first cinema release and never had an issue with them. My teenage son who accompanied me didn't have any complaints.

So for the two hours I sat there I'm thinking, "you're just an old fart with failing eyesight". Which may very well be true.

I don't frequent the cinema much as I'm quite satisfied with my modest home cinema set-up and happy to stream or wait for home media releases. But this rare cinema outing for me didn't inspire me to return. It just felt like there was a lack of definition or perhaps if the cinema was darker the clarity might have been better. This was the cinema complex in the Pavilions, Swords if that makes any difference.

Perhaps I need to go see the 'Garfield' movie to get a better indication of what a proper cinema experience is like 😁

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught this tonight and was largely pleasantly surprised - for me it's probably the 3rd best film in the franchise (though admittedly I haven't seen the assembly cut of Alien 3). But it's not without its flaws, and I suspect that I'll be resorting to a fanedit version that can address/minimise those in future.

Things I liked: the opening sequence did a very nice job of setting up certain details, the production and environment design are great in that grungy, tactile way that the first film did so well, and the characters aren't the "my personality is 1 sentence" caricatures from the previous prequels. The cast handled themselves pretty well, particularly David Jonsson as Andy.

Things that irked me: the fan-service was as subtle as a brick to the crotch, and about as welcome. Mainly because most moments felt artless and clunky, with nothing amusing or clever to recontextualise them beyond "hey, remember this bit of this other (better) film you like?". There are also a couple of idiot-ball moments, which is a pet peeve. Oh, and while most of the production design was great, the VisFX for the Rook character were absolutely pish. Like, sufficiently bad that I noticed changes to parts of his appearance between shots that played one after the other. Would have much preferred that whole thread to be handled a different way, e.g. a voice-only performance via a terminal connection or something, but if they're going to do what they did, they absolutely need to spend the money to do it properly ffs.

I agree that it could have been 10-20 mins shorter with no great loss. If they do another follow-up, I hope that it has the confidence to not constantly have to reference earlier films, because there's enough to like in this film that shows it's possible to do more than just endless rehashes of previous films. Oh, and I'd also like to see a ban on constantly trying to come up with new ideas for Alien hybrids, for a while at least. It's led to more misses than hits so far, so just park the idea - the creature is already terrifying enough as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭klose

It’s pretty good and definitely worth a watch, behind Alien and Aliens needless to say as they will be forever untouched, better then Alien 3 and resurrection IMO, it is however more of the same.

Love the sets and ambience of the film, looks great on a reported “small” budget bar a few bits.

But can we get something other than the Aliens being sucked into space and/or decompression saving the day? The humanoid Alien at the end just looked funny if anything, it was obvious what they were edging towards with the women being pregnant and injecting herself with the black goo but it just didn’t work for me. I assume the creature had a nod to the engineers in the look of it?

Nice however to tie Prometheus and the now famous black goo into the alien universe.

I’d have preferred more of a focus on what happened when the captured the cocooned alien from the nestromu was experimented etc on, thought that would have been more interesting.

All in all it’s still good, but I still think Scott’s Prometheus side of the alien-verse had so much potential and it’s something he will regret how they turned out.

Interested to see what Disney's alien TV show they’re doing turns out, onto the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I like Prometheus but I don’t like the David story in Covenant. I would’ve preferred Shaw to continue her story, big mistake imo.

I thought this one was good and I hope we get another. It was really well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭klose

Spoiler Warning

Yeah I’m a fan of Prometheus and the engineers and not of what happened in covenent myself, still open threads from that film and Romulus so plenty options for future films in the franchise whatever route they go down. Seems the black goo is a bit of wildcard for the franchise in that it can seemingly do a lot of things so they’ve plenty avenues with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw this last night. Had high hopes for it.

SPOILERS warning

The good -

The design and aesthetic of the film - throughout - was very good. It was consistent with the first movie.

The music score was good. Again, harking back to the original.

Rain and Andy best of a bad bunch acting wise.

The set up story (capturing the alien cocoon in space) really did give a sense of dread and horror to proceedings.

The CGI FX and creatures looked believable for the most part. Except for Rook … see below.

The Bad -

One dimensional, forgettable characters who I barely cared about and sort of lost track of when they were picked off.

The pacing was not right.

It was stupid how the facehuggers/aliens would sort of appear in the action then “go quiet” for the next phase of the plot, only to appear again.

1 scene had the facehuggers rushing toward a glass door and beating the glass to break through - then once our heroes locked the door, there was no panic - it was like the facehuggers had just “called off” the attack for now, to let the dialogue section happen. Silly. Similar with the aliens themselves later on.

Rook - Did they really need to go there with this deceased actor? The noticeably bad CGI and the whole black goo subplot was just unnecessary

The plot was more or less a rehash of the older films - they still rely on decompression to get rid of the creatures out to space. It’s like watching the same plot each time.

The hybrid - ppl in the audience were openly laughing at that yoke. It was comical at times.

No doubt the director was trying to link the movie to Prometheus lore but it fell flat on its face.

I feel like it was a huge missed opportunity overall.

6/10.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

I think using Rook was an acknowledgement from the Director that the 1979 film will be never be bettered.

Its a bit like bringing back Harrison Ford in the Force Awakens.

Anyway, having thought about it a bit more definitely a very good Alien movie for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,665 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, Harrison Ford was actually alive, so quite a difference there.

More akin to Disney digitally resurrecting other late Star Wars actors in other films, which was just as distasteful and ethically dubious (even if the tech wasn’t so weird and uncanny).

The black goo making an appearance was so jarring I wouldn't be surprised if Scott mandated for it to be included.

It did feel a bit at times like the Rogue One of the Alien universe.

• Advertisement

My view on using posthumous actors is if the family gave permission, which in this case they're saying they did, and they're getting paid, then it's fine as long as it fits the narrative. Dodgy effects aside I thought it worked OK here, as in it was pretty key to the plot.

True.

I think all the actors who have played androids in the Alien films have done a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

Fairly good movie. The aesthethic, vibe and pace were top notch and overall it really respects the original movie. Characters a bit forgettable and you didn't really give a damn about their fates whatsoever. But not a major gripe, main actress was decent, overall a good movie and worthy of a 7/10 for me.

I have a lot of time for Prometheus, and obviously Alien and Aliens are all time classics, but Romulus might not be that but I would say is very decently better than everything else.

I actually expected it to be a bit more gruesome than it was - had seen it described as gory, intense, etc and anyone who's seen Alvarez's Evil Dead 2013 would know what I'm talking about. Sure, it had violence, but I didn't find it particularly violent and definitely not something I'd describe as gory.

Anyway. Big thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"say the line Bart"…I'd imagine there's some studio interference/insistence in here. I don't think any director worth their salt enthusiastically wants to be doing this in their movies (definitely not in a clumsy way) which are supposed to be their own thing. I don't mind fan service that's subtle fwiw because it can be creatively done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm a big fan of the Alien films, so I'm always onboard when something new comes around, while not necessarily expecting much in the way of quality.

Reading through the thread here it looks like the consensus is generally positive. I have to say that I don't share that opinion - I think it's serviceable as an average sci-fi action/thriller, but a bit of a travesty as an Alien film.

I think the first 30-40 minutes are pretty good. But the wheels come off big time once faces start getting hugged and the film after that becomes just a succession of slavish re-hashes of recycled moments from the original quadrilogy.

There's absolutely nothing new here. And some of it is so incoherent and pointless: why was there any need to digitally bring that actor back? And, on top of that, please don't do it if you can't pull the effect off convincingly.

I might get flack for this, but, if you include Prometheus and Covenant and count seven "canon" Alien films - I think this is the worst of the lot.

All of the original four were better: 3 & Resurrection, for all their faults, at least possessed a strong unique directorial vision and character and tried to further the lore and the central story of the franchise. Admittedly, Prometheus & Covenant were not great, but I'll give them some credit: there was ambition there. Okay it didn't all work, a lot of it was a mess, but there was an attempt on the part of those movies to wrestle with new ideas, to do something at least vaguely original. They tried, sometimes failed, but, at least they tried.

Romulus has none of that. It has no original ideas and worst of all it becomes so fixated on trying to "play the hits" from previous outings that it actually became, for me, corny and annoying. There's lots of moments in the second half of the movie where it makes no sense for characters to say certain things, other than just for the line to exist as a reference.

I was onboard for the idea of doing a lean and mean back to basics Alien film. But, after watching this, I feel like perhaps the franchise is creatively dead.

They tried a different tack with P & C, with mixed results, so I understand why they went a different route with this. But, they made a pig's ear of this IMO. So much of this movie is witless, pointless, fan service - or rather, what the studio thinks fan service is: call backs, references, rip-offs. At the expense of anything new or exciting. And also, for an Alien film, it's not that threatening or not that scary.

Big disappointment. 

Post edited by Arghus on

The fans service is one area where it might end up feeling closer to The force awakens rather than Rogue One. Admittedly the only Alien franchise film I have seen in the last year or so prior was Covenant. If one sat down and watched the previous installments before Romulus it may take the shine off it a bit. The line was particularly badly utilized, so it deserved a mention. With the caveat that it's a good decade plus since I have seen Aliens, still had me shaking me head.

Seems to be doing quite well at the box office (thus far) so we may well see a sequel sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

I agree that line felt weird and far too blatant fan service when the rest of the film opts for far more natural references but when the film is as decent as it is, I don't dwell on it too much.

As for the likes of Covenant, I can certainly appreciate it's more ambitious in trying to build a little on that world, but that alone doesn't make up for the many shortfalls and flaws of that movie to me personally.

Romulus felt to me like it genuinely and very naturally belongs in the world of the original trilogy, tonally, visually, everything.

Everything else - Resurrection, AVP, Covenant, to me just really don't, even if they have some moments or entertainment value. I won't go into Prometheus given that was originally designed to be an offshoot but got awkwardly shoe-horned back directly into Alien with Covenant.

I enjoyed the concept of Prometheus and Covenant but they were empty. If you compare Prometheus to a film like Interstellar, where both had big ideas, the latter was bold enough to follow through, Prometheus didn't.

Covenant only really got interesting at the end, where David possibly has the workings of creating an Alien Queen, and we won't see the result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

So Alien Romulus...

I have some thoughts, stop reading now of you want to avoid spoilers.

Positive.

First half is fantastic, the opening scene was wonderful to watch, and really did a great job of setting up the film's general sense of dread.

The imagery is spot on, a modern take on the 70's sfi-fi aesthetic. Fits perfectly with the first and second film.

David Jonsson's acting was very impressive. Not familiar with the actor, but yeah, he did a phenomenal job here.

Face Huggers are still creepy and scary.

There is a very strong sense of tension, and suspension in the film, found myself going 'Nope' quite a bit.

The Negative.

Oh boy, there are a few here.

First half of the film, was going really well... and then it happened. The ghoulish trend of digital Necromancy. A digital Zombie of the late Ian Holmes, and a very bad one at that. While I understand that his family have consented to his likeness being used, it still smacks of being very unethical, as they themselves can not consent, on account of being dead. As I mentioned it was badly done as well... which begs the question, why bother? Only those of a certain age are going to get the reference, for younger viewers, they may not, as Alien is a 45 year old film.

A lot of scenes are scenes from the numerous Alien films... this gives the overall feel of it being an AI Fan created film. In one scene one of the characters says 'get away from her you Bitch'... which, without the context of the second film, feels like it is added just so fans can go 'I got that reference'. Is that what films are going to become, just visual vehicles for references to older films?

Do you know I am sick and tired of being used in horror films, the trauma and pain of women's birth played for cheap horror. Now this could be me being overly sensitive, but seeing how there is a lot of real world politics around female reproductive rights. Using it for gore just feels a bit juvenile, This is where I think the film really fell apart, at the end. The Human Alien Hybrid via the black goo (again with the Prometheus scene/idea added), part could have been cut and the film would be a lot better for it I think.

Overall, I did enjoy it, but felt that it was a collection of scenes/concepts taken from previous Alien films and woven together form a 2 hour film... still, better than Alien Resurrection.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭santana75

This was a pleasant surprise. I thought the last film, Covenant, was poor, but this was a bit of a belter. The pace is what it makes the movie, it flies out of the blocks and doesnt let up at any point. Caliee spaeny is really good, I dont know what height she is but compared to everyone else she looks tiny, but even so she pulls off the action hero thing in a very believable way. I thought she was great in "Priscilla", which is one kind of film but this looked like it might've been a very difficult shoot, so she really does a great job. They left the door wide open for another one so they may milk this particular cow until it keels over.

Advertisement