Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LSL to charge for the App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭kk.man

I believe a fairly large beef processor is the beneficial owner of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭emaherx

Any source for them being controlled by the same people? Surely if that were true they would merge them before creating a paid subscription model?

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/monthly-fee-set-for-farmers-viewing-some-marts-online/

In a statement to 

Agriland

, Jamie Nolan from MartEye confirmed that online bidding platform MartEye “has no plans” to introduce a monthly subscription payment.

Post edited by emaherx on

If the contracts didn't include the possibility of a subscription model it may well give marts an out from existing contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭148multi

The source of the information is a mart manager, apparently lsl and mart eye have been bought in, by a third party.

But Seamus Mallon has still a say.

The marts were paying a fee per head until 22, now set fees per mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭148multi

Know one exporter that won't buy where lsl is. Reckons that all the data is bieng harvested and they are in competition with Mallon.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

yes this is true. Only buy maybe 7-8 months of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Danny healy ray

i hear rip.ie will charge you before long to check death notices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭amacca

Guess I'll be saving on funeral attendance expenses from now on....two birds one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭visatorro

The chief listens to local radio for the death notices. Said recently there wasn't too many on it anymore . Was talking to the undertaker at a wake and he said he doesn't inform them anymore because they charge to announce deaths. He said it was wrong because they started off as a community radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It's probably harder to administer RIP.ie since Covid when they introduced a condolence section. Maybe that could be knocked on the head now. Ever notice with a tragic death all these anonymous contributors have to throw their tuppence worth in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭jfh

I pay 98 for the subscription, I take it that's the full charge, will they be adding to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭alps

You'd be inclined to take stock to sell to the mart that's not using LSL. Be thinking there would be a little more competition around that screen.

Cork marts use 2 different platforms. Hard to see them having clients charged at one mart and not at another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's an opportunity here for a non for profit selling platform to be run by the IFA. Only picked the IFA as it's a large farmer union already there. Setting it up would could get the government or EU to fund or part fund as well. Argument would be for the good of agriculture in Ireland and transparency and fairness it brings to the farming community.

LSL, Marteye, etc, are only there because of Covid. And it was a case of anyone quick will do. But covid is gone now and the benefits of the online platforms are shown without doubt. But it's gone a stage where the private platforms are looking to use their advantage to make the big bucks and it will remove the last line in my first paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That a brillant idea and if all the main farming orgs chipped in and let it be part of the benefit of being a member of farming orgs. In reality what lsl propose to charge is only the start of higer subscriptions in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭alps

The marts themselves would be best positioned to replicate a system and control the direction of cost.

I wouldn't underestimate however the enormous cost of running something like this. It needs to be staffed every minute that a mart is in progress as a technical difficulty can't last for more than a few minutes.

What would the cost be of staffing this with even 4 or 5 techies. Some on here will know better but there mightnt be change out of 500k (might be way off)..but there's a lot of gathering in that at 500/month/mart.

No doubt the developers of these platforms, as with most tech, see their payday not in the operational profitability but in selling a the majority proportion of the business to a company that can move it on to another stage.

Many of these type of developers move through and twist new start ups every 5 to 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The 'EU fund' on your Mart docket should cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I doubt it. Marts were paying a fee per head which bigger Marts did not like. Heard of figures of up to a euro/head.

500/ month is handy enough money for access to a sales platform for bigger Marts. Take Gortalea selling maybe 2k+animals a week it works out about 6-7 cent per head.

I would not pay for the subscription to the rag either actually avoid buying it. Young lads buy it 1-2 times a month. Trying to get him to stop no point funding the enemy.

Have LSL annual premium subscription for a couple of years so I can view previous sales. A bit peeved as Castleisland take down there sales videos at midnight the day of the sale. Ennis only show the previous/last sale. Hope if everyone has to pay a subscription that marts are forced to show sales for previous 2-3 months.

I never leave the yard without having something bought. At this stage it costs me less than a euro a head for cattle that I buy. It saves me a fortune in diesel.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭amacca

I can see why it would be worth it to some

Be Interesting to see how it goes..I'm not sure where I'm landing at the moment...I instinctively don't like it and hope it doesn't mean less buyers at some marts I sell at as some potential buyers just won't pay and may not bother attending physically....although maybe lads like that wouldn't be buying stock anyway

Also wondered about land auctions on it....if they dont have a physical auction and you want to view one of those then you are stuck with at least one month's worth of sub/fee too

I suppose I just instinctively don't like subscriptions....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Robson99

Find Lsl much more user friendly than Mart eye or mart bids as you can look back at previous sales etc in some marts on it…

Imo it's €100 which can be offset against tax. It's better value that €100 to the IFA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Silverdream

A better system would be if they added a euro on to the commission of the animal to pay for the online. Give the farmer the option to opt out if he wants.

Having only some animals available for online bidding would be a balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I would have thought that it would be on all lots that would be offered for sale in an auction with online bidding enabled.

It would normally but I was responding to the idea of a different model suggested above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s Mickey money for the ability to put manners on those seeking to control opening bids and the ring.

Not really first off its as much advantage to sellers as buyers. A lot of sellers watch there cattle selling from at home or work. As well the lad buying on line has put manners on tanglers who used to control around the ring

TBH for most lads it will not work out too expensive.you can always link up with a brother cousin or friend and use the same login to buy and just switch them into the correct herd number

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭edward901

You can watch the Marts on 4 different devices at the same time.I phoned their customer service yesterday to find out this. Which means that you could share your subscription with someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

you know how there was a subscription already if you wanted to look back on Marts. Will that feature be tied in with the new subscription I wonder or will it be extra again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭DJ98

• Advertisement

The cattle are not transferred into the herd number until you pay for them in case there is any issues. So when paying you instruct as to the herd number for cattle.

Now and again we pick up a few cattle for a friend of mine and a relative of my wife's. Cattle are put straight into there herd number

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement