Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭mcburns07

That'll be the wildfire smoke drifting over from Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A colourful or hazy sun/moon is always due to haze, smoke and dust in the atmosphere. In this case it's likely down to the Canadian wildfire smoke as others said above. You are much more likely to see a red moon if you get an unobstructed horizon view as the lower horizon is the most hazy or dusty part of the sky before the moon gets earthshine losing detail and colour. It tends to go through a spectrum of colours from red to orange to yellow to white as it rises higher in the sky. The wildfire smoke looks like aiding that process going on for a lot longer and muting the earthshine.

There was also a very red sunrise this morning for those that had a clearance in the mostly cloudy sky. Image by SaveTheHellfire, not mine as I was asleep for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

amazing to note, thanks all! Looks brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

There was a really noticeable orange tinge to the clouds all over us and the UK when I looked at sat24 earlier, I was wondering what it was and assumed it was a glitch on their graphics but I guess that probably explains it

Edit: Actually you can view back 24 hours so you can still see it, maybe more brown/pink than orange but definitely really noticeable

Post edited by Thunder87 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Met E forecasting a max of 19 for next Wed, are they serious? mid 20s more likely even in cloudy conditions

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mention earlier of smoke from Canadian wild/forest fires in atmosphere. Probably explains the red moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Back in Dublin for a lovely warm breezy Sunday . Sun in and out

In the West for the last few days Thursday the best day but still nice enough to go out every day

Yesterday driving back , very grey and windy .

Got a couple of sea swims which was perfect and water was nice and warm .

Hope that's not it for my summer .

On a positive got all my washing dry on the line .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Lovely day today in Meath, plenty of hazy sunshine and warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is Sat24 stuck on yesterday's image?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

The warmth this past week in East Wicklow was lovely

Very comfortable in shorts and a t shirt,every day hitting 20 or above

Currently still above 20c at 715pm

Always happens when its an Atlantic breeze

This evening is just glorious

the sinking evening sun filling the kitchen with a lovely pink tinge, never seen anything like it with a westerly airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful day in Dublin today, lovely and warm too

Watery sun in Sligo today. Got "up" to 17c. Clouds rolling in now ahead of a wet week with 50 or 60mm of rain likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

We really have been spoiled in Dublin this August another lovely day, dark now though by 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭alentejo

Question for the experts. Very much a watery sun in Dublin today. Did the Canadian wildfires impact the sunshine levels in Dublin today?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭glightning

I certainly don't think they get consistently hot summers. But they do get hundreds of hours more sunshine than Ireland. London and Paris are very similar in climate with Paris obviously tapping into continental heat more often I agree. Overall, Paris does have the better climate for sure - but not massively so. It's roughly 1600 vs 1800 sunshine hours when comparing London and Paris in a typical year. London sunshine hours is similar to many northern mainland Europe cities such as Berlin. On a hot summer's day, the max temp in Paris will typically be around 2c warmer than London (Typically that is. I appreciate that Paris sometimes will tap into much higher 850's than London).

The South of France is a different story and cannot be compared. You are at the Mediterranean once you are down there with sea temps of 26 to 28c in summer. Completely different climate. Over 500 miles further south than Paris, so of course they get 30c almost every day in summer.

Best way to describe the London climate in summer is a half way house between the crap we deal with and what Central Europe gets.

I agree with your imaginary line though for where proper summers occur south of it!

I noticed that weird hue to the sky today too with milky sunshine despite clear skies. Must be those aerosols.

wouldn’t consider myself an expert but I do know you don’t get a red moon rising like now when our weather is coming off the Atlantic, these red moons usually happen during summer heatwaves when our weather is coming from the continent meaning a lot of dirty air and pollution in the atmosphere.

Yes, smoke in the atmosphere from Canadian fires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The UK Met office are giving a particularly nasty day for us all tomorrow with very heavy rain and gusty winds. Some serious heavy rainfall echos showing up, especially down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Sunset in Mayo this evening. Very unusual for it to look like this without a long fetch easterly wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Today (Sunday 18th), was the last day of 2024 with temperatures above 20 degrees. Summer was good while it lasted, will have the jacket out this week, till next year lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭compsys

Another nice day in Dublin with temperatures getting up to 20º in most of the county again.

This is the 13th day that temps have gotten over 20º in Dublin - so not bad considering that the overall synoptics haven't been amazing.

However we are getting to the stage now where the sun is beginning to lose its strength and good temps get harder to reach unless there is decent weather with warm uppers.

It can obviously stay warm and pleasant and get into the 20s well into September (last year being an example). But unlike from late June to early August where even a bit of sun between the clouds will usually see temps shoot up to comfortable levels, we'll have to finally see some good, settled conditions for that to happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭boetstark

Just wondering do you consider 15 / 16 c warm sea conditions

Just shows everything is relative to the individual. Some people consider 22 c roasting.

No later in August and September I am confident it will be over 20c many more days.

However the next 7 days look brutal.

Orange moon following the orange sun.

Here it is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This has been a poor summer overall if far too much wind and lack of sunshine is important and that's very important to me. However this August has been no means great, but it's the best month this summer and better than many of the Augusts over the past 20 years. It's now 19th of August and I've had about 9 sunny and warm days which is pretty good by our August records of the past 2 decades.

The ensembles seem to be overplaying the heavy rain risk most days and this will probably continue for another few weeks. In 10 days time I'll be back in Fuengirola but between now and then I think we will get at least 3 or 4 pleasant warm days which will do me the world of good before I venture out into those +20 to +25 uppers for 2 weeks.

The moon was very red and dim here in Ulster last night. Looked like a total lunar eclipse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Advertisement