Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Love a 3133, me!

Very nice, and a lovely model.

I've had a few, including a Blue Angels Chrono, a dressy one with a metallic, icy white dial and Roman numerals, and a Sturmanski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Bought this over 30 years ago….I don't wear it anymore though

I have a soft spot for these.

Good build quality, solid, long lasting movement, and general timelessness about the design.

All you need, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

new boots on my Seiko.. thanks to @H_Lime for the links to suggested straps

this is a Condor Straps Thick Rally Leather Watch Strap with Stitching.

Makes the watch lighter to wear.

PS.. getting the Seiko bracelet off is a nightmare.. a nightmare

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Looking great on that and likely more wearable as they say. Super looking watch.

143 pre dip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Bath day…

Decided to do a bit of a clean up of everything in my watch box, so they all got de-grimed. I have my eyes open for an ultrasonic cleaner to take it up a level, but for now everything is sparkling and ready to be worn out!

@Pablo_Flox Very nice!

Spotting a bit of a theme here, can't quite put my finger on it…

😁

Very nice collection. Nice Montas in particular.

Just my tuppence but I'd be using the ultrasonic cleaner on bracelets only. You may have inferred that I dunno, not trying to teach yer granny to suck eggs.

I only use mine on bracelets, clasps and bare cases. On some bezel inserts (some in anodised ally but not all) it can cause a reaction that can blemish them and I've seen it loosen the adhesive holding them too. BTW that's just with warm soapy water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A question for those who have a little bit of restoration experience. It's not work I'll be doing myself but, on 50s & 60s era watches with oxidisation or dial mottling.

I'm assuming that this is usually a failure of the varnish? Is it a case of going slow with peg wood and rodico to clean it up? Or must a solvent be used?

The pic below as an example:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Oh yeah, would definitely only use an ultrasonic cleaner on the bracelets, and on the wife's engagement ring.

I was surprised with how much gunk I got off using a toothbrush (a bit gross TBH) so I'm curious if an ultrasonic cleaner would take off even more.

• Advertisement

Any seemingly clean bracelet that's worn oozes an amazing cloud of human gunk the second the switch is tripped in an u/s cleaner. My kids call it "asmr", in my day we'd call it trippy:)

They're a great piece of kit alright. The amount of times it's sorted blocked jets and passageways from my carbs over the yrs! Saved me much hassle.

Post edited by H_Lime on

That is a great veteran piece.

If you aren't already, get yourself over to OmegaForums, the vintage forum there should have all the answers you need.

Its not mine, just an example of what I'm eyeballing on the hunt for a birthday present. I am a member over there, but have yet to post. No excuse no I guess ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Vintage Omegas are class, and relatively good value/cheap. I bought one a few years ago and would love to get another one. On a bund here; not everyone's favourite strap but I like them.

That's lovely, I'm not a fan of that strap, though.
    My young lad has made it known that he wants a vintage omega as his 21st birthday present.
    He's got his eye on a few, he started off wanting a Constellation piepan but, the search has expanded to Bumper Seamasters & Geneve.
    The main want, is a 36mm case, decent condition dial and most importantly, dagger indices.
    I've a few alerts set up on watch recon and Chrono24 but pickings are either in need of huge work, pricey or at the very least redials.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep it's nearly always in the varnish layer and pretty much impossible to fix. They're very delicate. Rodico will remove surface contamination like dust, but little else and solvent will feck up the varnish and dial. With enamel dials you have options* and they rarely discolour anyway, but sadly B with painted metal dials what you see is what you get.

* Though I'd avoid the cleaning "fix" you see on the interwebs where people leave them in false teeth cleaning solution. It usually fades them. Plus many were overprinted with retailers names and the like so I'd even be careful with plain water.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

always wanted one of these and have to say it’s stunning

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fellow Brother of The Bund here. 🤙 On some watches granted, but they can work imho.

40's Longines "Coronation" in 20's rush hour

"Solid Gold" so dead fanceh. None of yer muck. Though I reckon the amount of gold involved is worth less than what the red hazard light button on the left would fetch on ebay these days. 😮😁

I can say I got this in the late 90's in the early days of interwebs trading(dial-up, yeah baby!) and it cost me the princely sum of 179 Dollars, plus 20 Freedom Bucks for shipping. Them were the days…

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Just a quick thank you for this suggestion LD. I've been a member over there a while but hadn't posted. Took your advice and posted re what he wanted and the advice over there has been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Advertisement

Most welcome.

Hung out there for a while and got some essential wisdom before purchasing my Speedie Mark II.

There is the usual mix of sediment, middle swimmers, and cream at the top, but generally, the knowledge is excellent.

Glad you got a decent steer.

Now, you know the rules — much pictures, many description! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

New strap here too. Based on a recommendation, $15 incl delivery very impressed, quick release and comparable quality to previous purchases that have been 4x price, only difference is no logo.Plesanty surprised this Saturday morning.

Lovely MM. I find they wear great on a good quality mesh too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

Any recommendations for a mesh strap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I got stuck behind a crash today on the A82 in Scotland, so what else to do but take photos of your watch. This is an Omega nato I bought passing through Switzerland a month ago. Uber-comfort.

I spotted your route map photo over in insta, enjoy the trip and safe travels.

Picked up another Breitling today, 44mm but wears fairly small

That's not gonna pay the CC bill buddy👀 but, well wear you are turning into quite the Breitling sponge! Do you need an intervention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

DDS comes to anything outside of an ordinary day. Building an heirloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭furiousox

AC/DC 🤘

How was it?

CPL 593H

Advertisement