Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACDC Croke Park Sat Aug 17th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Golden circle lively where I was standing and I agree with the above, basically no chatting and not too much vaping or smoking either.

Thought the show was brilliant, I was disappointed after 2014 and didn't think we'd get another chance to see them. First couple tracks and Stiff Upper Lip, High Voltage, Rosie were so full of swagger, definitely enough chemistry between Brian and Angus to carry it.

Noticed they moved highway to hell forward in the set tonight which helped Brian as he had been sounding a bit hoarse on that track recently. Thought Brian was great, seems to have been having problems with his in ear monitors basically the entire tour but he just pulled them out and got on with it. He was looking at the teleprompters a lot at the start of the tour and didn't really notice him doing it at all tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 Gamingamer

best night of my life in the gold circle with my little brother , beautiful memory I’ll cherish forever.

the singer for the supporting act was unbelievably annoying , the way she kept screaming ‘Dublin’ after every song will give me cringe nightmares for the rest of my life, great singer though and a decent band , nothing special though.

Brian & Angus , simply amazing

my first time ever seeing them and more than likely my last with their age

hope everyone who went had a great night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't know how they do it but **** me those lads are still rocking in their 70s. Angus looks like he'd struggle to walk down the street but **** me he'd put any fit man twice his age to shame. He played a guitar solo walking down a stairs

Brave setlist choices and a bit of a kick in the teeth for the 'hits fans' especially playing 'Back to Black' and 'Highway to Hell' early. Wasn't the big stage production like '2015' but can't complain really as the visuals were amazing plus those 'fireworks' at the end.

Usual irish crowd and organisation. Can they not have 'pints pre poured' for the busy periods (it's not a GAA match we're you can't bring out pints) with ques still going when ACDC started. Stewards couldn't give less of a **** in the upper tiers and let people stand blocking exits etc. Crowd were OK where I was but you could see all those there for the 'piss up and instagram posts' etc. Croke Park shows attracts the FOMO crowd (Coldplay will be the same)

Such a pity I never had the money (& gig knowledge) back in the early 2000s (some of ye going back earlier) to see them live with Mal & Phill but so privileged to see them in 2015 & tonight esp with the covid years alongside the false rumours/axldc stuff

For those about to rock we salute you. ACDC we salute you 🤘

The Davin Stands get an awful doing here but it's prob one of few points where you could probably see all the screens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I was in the accessible area at the back and couldn't hear Brian for most of the set. Guitars were way too loud.

First time to see them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That was amazing. So much better than Punchestown. For me anyway. I know people give out about Croke Park. But I think its a great venue. Sound was brilliant on the pitch. There's always going to be queues when there are 80k people in a venue. But there was nothing crazy from what I saw. Band were in great form

One point. If I were them, I would have a much more dramatic encore. Most people settle into a gig for the last hour - after beers and toilet etc. I would keep Rosie, Thunderstruck, Highway for the encore and close off with For those about to rock. It would be more memorable. They have plenty of good songs to keep the main setlist going for the first 1.5 hours. TNT in the encore is a bit dry, and then all of a sudden For those about to rock is on top of us, and it's game over. Also, the guitar solo in let there be rock does go on a bit too long for the last song in the main setlist. I do like a solo, but it did drain the atmosphere a bit. That being said I could listen to the guitar solo of Let there be rock from the live album If you want blood on constant repeat. Maybe it just feels different when one is on their feet for a few hours and waiting for the next big tune.

Anyway, that's a bit of a whinge. Overall, a great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Old man plays guitar.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Superb stuff. A joy from start to finish. I agree that - if anything - the encore could be tweaked by changing the overall order a bit, but that's only a minor issue. A great crowd in the Gold Circle. A mix of young and old fans. No hassle. No negatives at all, in fact.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭BarryNumber1

not sure it was too loud, audio def not great. Maybe it was where I was sitting, upper Cusack. Or old ears. Brian and Angus kinda drowned out by the rhythm/bass/drums. Good set and show though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭eronayne

dupe post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭eronayne

thought it was a great gig.
    up in the premium seats in the hogan stand. Brian was very hard to hear but a great night overall was surprised thunderstruck was moved up the set list. Went out to the jacks, and thought there was a break when I heard the crowd singing ole ole. Suddenly heard thunderstruck starting. Never got out of the jacks and washed the hands so fast. Agree with some of the other posters that the crowd seemed a little flat and the band deserved a bit better. Noise was nowhere near the noise at Taylor Swift.

One thing I really did enjoy seeing was not many people watching the gig through their phone. People pulling out the phone every now and then to record some short videos myself included. But for the most part everyone there in the moment enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Agreed.

Look at your sig!! I mean, what an impressive count, but the mix is incredible, are you in the industry? (politely curious)

Fair question. No, I don't work in the industry. I just go to a lot of gigs, and yes, the diverse mix probably looks insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Excellent stuff. My first time to see them. The other half saw them in the Point in 1991 and that they were equally as good now as then I've been told!

Crowd was a little flat but I'm wondering was it because I'm too used to the female pitch of screaming, their ratio being higher in other concerts I've been to lately with my teens, Taylor Swift being the last one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just come off the Highway to Wexford

I enjoyed that!

Will put a few pics up later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Great show but the beer was a load of bollox inside the pitch. 250ml can of rockshore , literally a half a glass. bastards

Us irish have to up for mass in the morning. Tis the right amount 😄

I do agree it's some load of shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

I should probably have gone....punchestown was the last time I saw them and it was excellent....actually I tell a lie..nearly sure I saw them in Aviva and didn't particularly enjoy it as I made yhe mistake of sitting way away in the seats on upper level....atmosphereless....but punchestown I was standing quite near mosh pit typecarea and thought that was one if the best concerts/gigs I attended...didn't disappoint.…if this was as good or better than that then it must've been epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tigeire

Amazing concert.

Been to The Point 1996, Punchestown 2008 and Lansdowne road 2006. This was as good if not the best.

If you want blood - Highway to hell

Back in Black - Back in Black

Demon Fire - Power up

Have a drink on me - Back in Black

Thunderstruck - The Razors Edge

Have a Drink on Me - Back in Black

Hells Bells - Back in Black

Shot in the Dark - Power up

Stiff Upper Lip - Stiff Upper Lip

Shoot to Thrill - Back in Black

Sin City - Powerage

Rock 'n' Roll Train - Black Ice

Dirty Deeds DoneDirt Cheap - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

High Voltage - High Voltage

Riff Raff - Powerage

You Shook Me All Night Long - Back in Black

Highway to Hell - Highway to Hell

Whole Lotta Rosie - Back in Black

Let There Be Rock - Let There Be Rock

TNT - HighVoltage

For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)

2x High Voltage (1976)
    1x Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (1976)
    1x Let There Be Rock (1977)
    2x Powerage (1978)
    2x Highway to Hell (1979)
    5x Back in Black (1980)
    1x For Those About to Rock We Salute You (1981)
    0x Flick of the Switch (1983)
    0x Fly on the Wall (1985)
    0x Blow Up Your Video (1988)
    1x The Razors Edge (1990)
    0x Ballbreaker (1995)
    1x Stiff Upper Lip (2000)
    1x Black Ice (2008)
    0x Rock or Bust (2014)
    2x Power Up (2020)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Only two downsides to last night, neither to do with the act:

1. Remind me again to bring a packed lunch and any sweets/crisps to Croke Park. Facilities are p1ss poor compared to Aviva or 3Arena and that's even in Premium. Absolutely no excuse for this.

2. ACDC came on at 815pm and in Block B Premium there was a ferocious amount of bar/toilet action and general pr1cking around for the first hour. Particular shout out to the woman the size of a JCB in the blue top and denim jeans who seemed incapable of being able to read her row and seat number correctly for at least 30 minutes. Now I like a glass (i.e. bottle) of wine more than anyone but how difficult is it to get your stuff and sit down to listen to at least two or three numbers in a row? This was particularly unfair on the many children who'd been brought to the seated area to witness some serious axe action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭argentum

People that go to gigs in Ireland dont seem to be able to enjoy themselves without alcohol

Some so drunk on the way in never made it past the barriers

Some so drunk during the gig never made it back to the pitch from the toilets

Sad that people spend so much money on a ticket and ruin the experience for themselves and others in their vicinity

Big shout out to yourself for sourcing me a ticket at the last minute. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭furiousox

40 years ago today lads.

I was at this one but gave last night a miss.

Kinda sorry I didn't go now!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭rob w

These people really annoy me but they also kindo fascinate me at the same time. I can't fathom why people go to such large expense just to get pissed! I think it's kind of attention seeking with a crowd, I dunno!

Anyway, it was a great gig. Brought my nephew along and we had a great night! I did think the sound was a bit hit and miss, vocals especially at times. We were stood on about the middle of the pitch, but a great show! That guitar solo!!!

Edit - meant to quote argentum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Croke park is a terrible venue for music. Can only imagine how poor the sound would have been up in the gods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

When you say “never made it past the barriers” do you mean security refused to allow them in due to drunkeness?

Ya. I've given up on the idea of queueing for ages at these events and giving over my hard earned cash for overpriced beer and food.

Tip - for Croke Park, it is very easy to bring in drinks. There are signs up about searches happening, and there are stewards there who look like they are about to, but doesn't happen. I threw 4 cans of Heineken into the Freezer yesterday for 2 hours. When they were very well chilled, threw them into a bag, and got luas to town. Picked up 4 small miniature wine bottles on the way. I have a hoodie with a few pockets so the 4 cans and 4 bottles fitted into them. Carried the hoodie down by my side rather than than wearing it. And just walked in. They weren't checking anybody. The drinks did me for the 3.5 hours or so that I was there. Cost me less than €20, and nicer than Rockshore plss. I heard that they were selling bottles of beer on the pitch for €8.50. I thought €7/€7.50 was a lot for a pint. But now we're up to €8.50. They will soon be hitting the €10 mark at these gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

There was one fella on the way in at the ticket scan barrier. He couldn't even stand. They just said no, and made him sit to the side. hahaha gobshite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

there is a certain scene around AC DC particularly in rural ireland which revolves around very, very heavy binge drinking sessions.

That man may have been from that scene - a pity he missed a live show from his probably lifelong idols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Amazing gig. Really enjoyed it.

Advertisement