Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I have yet to hear this interview. Campbell is pretty canny even for the best interviewers. Tough spot for Callan, you get stick for asking about Iraq and stick for not asking about it. I think Campbell has a pretty solid canned response at this stage. But I will give Callan kudos for asking the question. I do not think the previous host would have asked the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@Bellbottoms d’arcy was given a €250k contract, which seems to be for 3 more years until 2025, he’s done nothing noteworthy for Radio 1. He should have been offered 150k and told to leave if he wasn’t happy. (I am sure may on here would disagree with 150k).

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

We don't know if that is how much D'Arcy demanded or how much he was offered. Given that Callan was offered an amount and told RTE would not be negotiating. I suspect the same thing happened with D'Arcy.

I have no idea how they came to a figure of 250k.

It should be lower as should Callans.

Callans salary was one of the first to be offered after the whole fiasco. It set the base rate for everyone else. Callan shouldn't be on anymore the 70-80k. With D'Arcy given 30 years of experience on 150k.

true, but either way offering €250k to D'Arcy or if they just accepted D'Arcy's offer it shows RTÉ's lack of negotiating skills.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Another week off for Ray, handy number alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

People go on their summer holidays in July and August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭squonk

Oliver’s interview with the ploughing champion from Carlow isn’t great. He’s almost taking the piss. I know it’s kind of a niche subject, even for farmers, but still.

They do and Ray has every right to go on holidays. However seems everyone in RTÉ heads off on holidays in August, I know of few companies that allow most of their staff head off in August, generally you find that it is staggered across June, July and August, but seems RTÉ have august off every year with no explanation.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭squonk

The Rosise pride parade guy has a bit of an opinion of himself. It’s kind of painful listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I suppose the rational might be that August is when politicians are off, the law is running on fumes, people are on holidays themselves, and the last two weeks in July and the first few weeks in August are the best time to bring in folks from the subs bench. They cut the news to 30 minutes, Reeling in the Yeats comes back on, Pat Shortt shows start to appear.

Then back to a full contingent of producers, sound engineers, journalists for Autumn.

Sorry Bob that rational is BS and purely an excuse. News happens without politicians, judges and lawyers.

And I'd say it is very odd that any company would take August off on top of giving extra holiday during the year.

It doesn't save any money it just puts RTÉ staff in a lap of luxury that other broadcasters don't get.

Look I've always found it funny that a huge number of people complain about school holidays, when they themselves possibly have a 40 AL in their contract and are paid probable twice as much as a school teacher.

You'd think RTÉ had hundreds of hours of TV to repeat, how could they, its the same auld stuff the repeat over the course of the year, it wasn't all that good first time round.

RTÉ have a staff of 1800 people, and they want to cut this back! They have a pretend 24 hour news channel.

And it doesn't just apply to news, their daily / not daily / daily show stops broadcasting from May until October every year, 4 months.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,643 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct Ro, it’s purely BS. It’s purely suiting themselves and fohhrk the public who are funding a PSB.

And to come back to the 9 o’clock show I agree Callan was taking the p1ss out of the Carlow lad who

In fairness was well able for him, and this after excoriating Joe Biden for ten minutes !!

This lad (Callan) will step out of line at some stage and I can see it coming down the tracks, when I don’t know ,but he’s going to go too far at some stage.

Advertisement