Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will probably pick up Star Wars as well at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

Isn't Crash the PlayStation Mascot? I've always seen him that way even when it's on another console similar to Sonic on Nintendo.

Id be amazed if you asked 100 people who the mascot was and 20 said Astro.

Post edited by recyclops on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He kind of was early on, but then went multiplat and the games were fairly bad so he faded away for a while. Astro is obviously a lot newer and wouldn't have near the recognition Crash does, but Astro's star is certainly on the rise, the last few games have been used as showcases for what the PS tech can do, and now with a full-blown game of his own he's essentially laid claim to the mascot title.

In fact I saw earlier that it's rumoured Sony struck a deal with MS for Crash and Spyro to make an appearance in AstroBot.

I certainly think of Crash as being a PS character, but really that ship sailed a long time ago. Most who only came into gaming from the PS2 onwards wouldn't link the two in the same way, and the fact MS literally owns the character now is the nail in that coffin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The PS1 was a very long time ago at this stage - Crash Bandicoot hasn’t been tied to the PS brand since then.

I would simply say PlayStation doesn’t really have a ‘mascot’ as such, though obviously there’s a push to very much link Astro Bot with the console (given the game so directly invokes PS hardware and software alike). Though this’ll really be the first game on a scale large enough to see if that catches on - VR exclusives and a short pack-in game are very different assignment than a big, full-price release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crash was never an official mascot. He was always owned by universal. Then vivendi and now Activision. He kind of got co-opted as such but naughty dog only became a PlayStation studio in the PS2 era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I do believe Astro is the PS mascot, just not sure if PS believe it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even if it wasn’t official, I don’t think there’s any doubt Crash Bandicoot at its peak was closely linked to the PS1 in the general cultural awareness.

But I’d say the same thing about Lara Croft - even though Tomb Raider wasn’t a PS exclusive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was a Saturn timed exclusive. Just nobody cared 🤣

Polygon man was the official cony mascot but they dropped him before launch and decided mascots were a thing of the past. But when crash blew up they adopted him. Still think Lara was bigger than crash imo.

Just have to look at the lineup for PlayStation Allstars to see who they thought of as mascots at the time. Though with Astro being the pack in game with the PS5 could mean he's seen as a mascot.

Though I'm sure most would see the likes of Nathan Drake or Aloy as mascots.

That was the big problem with all stars. Sony has its big IPs but they just don't have the mascot power that nintendos games have outside of maybe parappa. But again it wasn't something they aimed for or needed.

I do think astrobot has the personality and quality games to be a PlayStation mascot if Sony build on it and not just forget him chasing the next industry fad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

When Astro Bot reviews well and sells 10 million+ Sony will have a real chance to cement Astro as a proper rival to other platform mascots. Im all for it. More importantly for me there'll be more chance of a Rescue Mission sequel. Please let it happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playstation's mascots now are a quick compilation of their big hitter exclusives; Kratos, Aloy, Ellie, Spidey, Ratchet etc.

If your mother doesn't know who they are they're not really a mascot in my eyes. Most of those are just generic videogames dude/girl or angry videogame dude.

Yeah if I had to actually think of who the PS mascot would be, Kratos would be the No.1 pick at this stage. PS mainstay for nearly 20 years, since the PS2 days, recognisable character with iconic design.

If you aren't in smash you aren't a mascot 😝

Kratos was in shovel knight on PlayStation. They picked him ahead of anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Luna84

Master Chief would deffo be Xbox's.

As much as I think he is the epitome of boring generic space marine he kind of is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You folks are clearly forgetting Blinx, the clear Xbox mascot

There's a reason we forgot. And he only appeared in a DF video this month and I already forgot.

They should really remaster those Blinx games so I can actually play them. I never played any of them.

• Advertisement

While looking up Blinx games I came across this on the wiki.

I think the main reason Ps and XBox don't have mascots is due to the portion of fans who would refer to Nintendo games as being for children and saying how all Mario and Zelda games are the same.

Finally hit the wall in Bloodborne, and that wall's name is Orphan of Kos. Unlike the rest of the game, I don't have the luxury of having fought him in my first playthrough, so taking a while to learn him.

The worst part is, he's unlike the final boss of the Elden Ring DLC, which means I can't complain that he's just unfair or uses bullsh*t moves or only a few builds can properly take him on. OoK is completely fair and balanced, just tough as hell. Got him down to about 3-5% twice but got greedy and stupid.

When he starts **** balls of death while jumping around so it's very hard to even hit him is when it becomes very frustrating. Had a rough time with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Playstation mascot you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

It's more losing lock-on or even just track of where he is that's getting me. Well that and the way he moves when doing even normal attacks in phase 1 can mean when you're dodging to his left, you end up on his right or just getting caught right in front of him just because of the way he arcs around. Not saying it's unfair, just get caught with it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to say, this story trailer for Silent Hill 2 remake has me really wanting to play it.

Its a near shot for shot remake of the original trailer. Still not convinced they can make a good game it I have been surprised by devs becoming a lot better before.

• Advertisement

PS2 emulation has come on leaps and bounds, thankfully ;)

Advertisement