Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Harika

There is a long ongoing discussion if social media like X is a publisher. If you see them as this, they are liable for the content on their platform. Not even the Daily Mail would put up the garbage that Elon shares, as they would be sued to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭corkie

America has Section 230!

https://aura.american.edu/articles/journal_contribution/Section_230_Parler_and_the_Illusion_of_free_speech_on_the_Internet/23769723?file=41709219

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act was born. The law
    itself is fairly curt and straightforward because presently, only section (c) stands [5]: “No
    provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker
    of any information provided by another information content provider [6].” For further
    clarication, this means that websites and other internet-based services are not held responsible
    for what users themselves post or the platforms, the users themselves are responsible ….

Probably why UK is targeting individuals and sentencing them for social media content.

And I agree that free speech online is an illusion!

Disclaimer: Sharing a tweet! Not endorsing the account linked or mentioned

Waynegb88 not subtle...

Anyway should not have pleaded guilty. Examiner today mentioned that the UK have better understanding how to deal with such rioters/misinformation breeders than Ireland.

That article was hard to find on the website/'X' had to search for Cianan Brennan, had the paper myself and epaper for below screen capture.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41457280.html

Further, in the Irish context, those spreading the misinformation and causing the unrest saw that Ireland’s political parties were not quite sure what to do with the new status quo — with some even showing a willingness to bend their ideology more in the direction of a greater intolerance for immigration than for which they had hitherto shown an appetite.

Interesting twist on the the title, instead of 'controlling the narrative' the above.

As I don't have anonymous 'X' identity, and not one to post controversial stuff. I wonder if I was arrested would they say I was radicalised by 'Elon Musk'!? 😀

And in case someone wondering if I have looked at 'Waynegb88' account, I haven't because I don't want to trigger the algorithms by looking at it.

I meant

Secondly, British policing culture has far more experience and history with the type of public unrest which caught An Garda Síochána so unaware late last year. The approach across the water was unequivocally heavy-handed, as were the sentences which followed the rioting

And the Wayne, isn't it from the handle itself clear where this goes? Like how more not subtle do you have to be? Adding AH to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The tweet highlighted there wasn't the reason that that guy got in trouble with the law though.

It was for content like the following:

He knew what he was doing was wrong but he didn't care cos he was playing the online tough guy

Womp Womp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

NHS trusts are leaving Twitter, apparently:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

The X-odus begins

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

@Brussels Sprout I knew that the tweet quoted wasn't the offending tweet. People probably afraid in the UK to retweet his other tweets. Anyway after posting I googled the account and read a few articles on him.

Do you believe 3 years is justifiable for been a keyboard warrior? I don't know because not a lawyer.

When this gets the following: -

Former special constable jailed for possessing more than 1,000 indecent images of children

• At Warwick Crown Court last week O’Connor was jailed for eight months, ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years and made subject to a 10-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

Fresh UK prisons crisis as riots lead to fears of overcrowding
    Exclusive: emergency plan set to be introduced that could see alleged criminals released and court cases delayed

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: “The first job of this government is to keep people safe, and the new lord chancellor has taken action to make sure the justice system is always able to lock up dangerous offenders, protect the public and reduce reoffending.

“Operation Early Dawn is not active and we will notify the public if it is activated.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Take being a keyboard warrior out of the equation, is 3 years justifiable for goading and encouraging rioting centred around racial hatred? The fact that it was done online imo has no bearing on it being legal/illegal, if its illegal to do or say in public it should be just as illegal to do and say online, the punishment should be at least the same and possibly more as you are going to reach more eyeballs online

Also of course someone with child images should be jailed for longer than 8 months, you are setting up a straw man by trying to compare the two. They have nothing to do with each other beyond you trying to go "well what about this."

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭scottser

You're bang on, people absolutely need to be accountable for what they say no matter where they say it. You shouldn't be able to say whatever you want if what you say is a lie, is a defamation or a slander, or encourages others to hate and violence. Free speech without consequence is not what society needs. Society needs to protect its truths, its facts and its standards and some wanker who gets his chops from 4chan should not be given the same credence as a journalist or an academic on issues like race and immigration.

Besides, most of us have at best an abstract relationship with free speech. Who really wants to sit and listen to someone advocating about their right to have sex with minors or the science behind rape as a cure for homosexuality? If free speech added something genuinely new and valuable to current debates then great, but all the current crop of free-speechers can muster is hateful, ignorant bullshit.

@VinLieger Sorry I was just trying to compare the sentencing with a recent case. Any way he has a criminal record for his careless tweeting. Glad I don't tweet controversial stuff.

Here is an example from the same Judge. 'Sjölin Knight' : -

Paedophile who told 13-year-old he would take her virginity is jailed

A homeless man who was arrested in Skegness after sending sexual messages to four people who he believed were under-age girls was today (Mon) jailed for 14 months.

It is scary that these people and the reaction by the UK, is stripping down civil liberties for everyone else.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/misinformation-is-hard-to-stop-when-the-truth-is-almost-impossible-to-spot/a2073304520.html ~~ Archive

• Instead of dealing with the asylum crisis — and all on whatever side of a political divide acknowledge it is a crisis — they think regulating online speech will stop people from thinking there is a problem.
    • But still Breton feels the need to threaten to start regulating what we can hear or read on the internet in Europe.
      It infantilises us that our ­masters think that we are not capable of thinking for ourselves.
    • Handing some agency the job of being arbitrator of the truth is asking the impossible. And you don’t need to be a conspiracy theorist to know that governments are prone to misinforming. Our own did so during the marriage and care referendums.
    • Democracy needs people to express unpleasant views. Suppressing them doesn’t stop those views from existing and at least we might be able to address some issues if we know they are there.

With an open platform unpopular expressions and views can be seen and reacted on. Shut it down/over restrict will just push the content underground and to platforms, not so open. (Dark Web)

Try googling 'Digital Censorship Act' and see the results. If Simon Harris and co, are successful in getting Musk to pullout/shutdown 'X' here (eg Brazil), it effectively would shut it down for EU as International HQ is in Dublin. Some would say 'good riddance', but what about the Jobs and TAX revenue if other tech companies do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The government have no desire for Twitter to pull out of Europe. However they do expect Twitter to follow laws within the EU. That's not particularly outrageous and the requirements of the digital services act are not the ominous Boogeyman that you continuously depict.

As someone who's life was decimated by online "arbitrators of the truth", I live for the day that these people are held accountable for their actions. I'd champion having them all locked up in cells with pedophiles and rapists.

@Babyreignbow Sorry to hear you where personally affected by Online trolls and thugs!

My understanding from the article was that "arbitrators of the truth" was referring to the agency responsible (Coimisiún na Meán) for enforcing the laws and not the thugs!

@eightieschewbaccy Lame #DSA (linked not first time i said that) doesn't yet have the powers, our politicians depict it as having. 'Leave the EU or Comply'

Mentioned the below earlier, so posting about 'Early Dawn':-

https://news.sky.com/story/operation-early-dawn-emergency-move-to-avoid-prison-overcrowding-could-be-triggered-in-next-few-days-as-rioters-sentenced-13199191

I don't think you understand how lies and slander, fake news and defamation affects lives as you appear to be constantly promoting freedom of speech over and above the legal, moral and human implications of a self governing lawless society.

I just can't go there with your brain is obviously being spoon fed everything from twitter, with points that have no bearing in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,480 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What they tweeted was not just "controversial".

The entirety of the commission's stance is stated here. They're preliminary findings. These all seem like pretty mild and reasonable criticisms of Twitter. Basically you seem to be actively annoyed that a massive multinational is expected to be more transparent etc.

The commission recently informed X of its preliminary view that it is in breach of the bloc’s Digital Services Act (DSA), arguing that the social network “deceives” users with its blue tick, used to verify a user and give them special status.

“Since anyone can subscribe to obtain such a ‘verified’ status, it negatively affects users’ ability to make free and informed decisions about the authenticity of the accounts and the content they interact with,” the commission said.

It also accused X of failing to comply with rules on advertising transparency and failing to give researchers access to public data.

The commission said it was also continuing investigations into X’s practices around dissemination of illegal content, and how well it combats the spread of fake news.

I'd counter those examples with the 4 & 5 year sentences given to several Just Stop Oil protesters for planning a shutdown of a major road.

If those sentences are the benchmark then I think the guy instigating racist attacks and riots got a fair sentence.

• Advertisement

Trending on UK twitter today is people posting/pinning the below to accounts a bit like the facebook trend from a few years back that were not allowed to use images posted, etc. The disclaimer will not protect these people if posting controversial stuff. "Similarly, copy and pasting a disclaimer doesn’t change the operation of incitement of hate crime offences."

“If Elon Musk doesn’t comply with our laws, the Union will close 𝕏 in Europe” 一 Sandro Gozi ~~ Italian site

That got a response

"Freedom of expression is sacred and any attempt to curb it through pressure or threats is an attack on democracy. The statements of Sandro Gozi, secretary of the European Democratic Party, are simply unacceptable." —@FratellidItalia Account ufficiale di #FratellidItalia. Presidente @GiorgiaMeloni

It is a pity because I liked Gozi from the debate in may.

Also just for the record here, I'm proud to be an advocate for 'Free Speech', but does not mean I approve or sanction the abusive use of the privilege by criminals, trolls, thugs and online abusers. They do more damage to the liberty of it.

https://www.lighthousecommunity.global/post/when-the-freedom-of-speech-becomes-an-excuse-for-abuse

• Freedom Of Speech Doesn’t Mean Freedom Of Consequences
    • Freedom of Speech Comes With Responsibility
    • Free Speech Requires Responsibility & Honour

Was thinking of not posting today, because of the negative reactions to my posts. People making the comparisons I'm spoon fed from twitter, must also be using it to make that conclusion. Ironic in a thread about it.

(Didn't notice you looking over my shoulder to see what I read/interact with on the platform)!

I apologise but it's difficult when so many posts that you've shared from X have had to be corrected for misinformation, which is ironic as this entire discussion has been about that very problem and how easily it is drip fed into people without them even noticing. Yet you maintain that by way of some personal responsibility we can all avoid this.

Like, above again you're advocating for the sanctity of free speech on one hand and linking to a harrowing story of the consequences of it. These are the consequences of free speech, are you ok with that?

So the revelation here is that social media platforms aren't exempt from following future regulations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Post up some of Wayne’s other posts there, as opposed to that carefully selected one to make him look like a ‘concerned citizen’. He’s a piece of ****, instigating riots from the comfort of his living room…arresting innocent Brits, **** me 🙄

@Babyreignbow No need for the apology, I hit a nerve with you and also sorry for that. I already admitted been influenced by all forms of Media MSM and social. ~ previous post

@fullstop Mentioned before I have not look at his account, because I don't want to feed the algorithms. I'm not going to post his tweets. @Brussels Sprout shared some more of the content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,615 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ANyone claiming Musk is a free speech advocate can you take a shot at explaining why Bassem Youssef @Byoussef has now been nuked?

It was shortly after he posted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,788 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump will dump Musk the day he has no more use for him just like he does to everyone else.

I'm hoping for a plot twist where Musk will ride Trump into a stable and bolt the door behind him. That'd be cool.

Surprised to see that this vile account has actually been suspended now.

I guess glorification of Hitler was just a smidgen too far even for Musk's Twitter

Some people are complaining about the suspension!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think the X "agos edit: algos, lol" are a bit fragile if clicking a few bad posts will throw years of normal joe use of an X account out of whack, and fill up ones "home" screen with links to nazis & calls to violence. Maybe Musk should look into that, but somehow I doubt he will.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Advertisement