Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What's that gotta do with the Havertz incident, nothing is what. The Jesus one should have been dealt with by the ref and VAR, and it might eventually be dealt with.

Not to victim blame, (the poking incident looks so wrong), but like Havertz earlier, the start of it was the ingrained cynicism of this Arsenal team, ie Jesus pulling the other guy to the ground to stop the play and then standing in front of the free to stop it being taken (for which he correctly received a yellow card)

The poking incident occurred after that, and should absolutely be sanctioned, but the constant pulling/dragging and then whinging by the Arsenal lads leads to all sorts of incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Play silly games, win silly prizes! Wrestle a big guy and pull him to the ground on top of you, don't be surprised to catch a blow in the midst of the grappling. The Wolves player could have avoided Kai, but he didn't, and maybe he was right given that Kai had instigated it, he got a chance to leave a free one on him and he did. Havertz playing the victim is what is the dislikable part of it IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta agree with you. Havertz is always at it, nice to see him get some comeuppance.

Anyway, I'm not convinced Maresca will be a success in the Premier league. I seen lots of Leicester last season and their style of football was good for the Championship with a very strong squad. His defenders spent a lot of time passing the ball around to each other and they rarely went through the centre of the field. He likes his wide players to have a go on occasion and if it's not on he wants the ball to go central outside the box. If that's his style in the Premier league I just can't see them creating enough chances to be competitive against the top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont get the whole premature baby size shinpad and tiny socks routine that every player under 21 seems to be doing. A decent shinpad with an ankle protector likely saves Danilo's ankle yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Know it's been a thing for ages, but when Zirkzee came on I thought he still needed to put them on. It looks ridiculous and doesn't prevent anything, they definitely think it looks cool but they'll get a kick amd can only blame themselves. Wonder does it help them feel contact andkeep rolling around!

Jamie is Redknapp and Daniel Sturridge. Surely Sky can do betters for "analysts"

Did they change the rules regarding shin pads? It's a long time since I played but shin pads had to be I think 10 inches in length.

I hadn't got my shin pads once and wasn't allowed play. I found a box and tore pieces out of the size of shin pads and was allowed play, the ref didn't know it was cardboard. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sturridge is fine tbf. But many can't accept it because of his flair-y clothes.

And Sky need the viewpoint from an enthusiastic attacker to balance off the coverage for defenders who like to centralise their analysis on mistakes from defenders rather than attacking brilliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Toney left out for transfer related reasons. Manager said it’s not close, but it would seem to be. Wonder if Arsenal or United are having a sniff. Brentford want rid as he won’t sign another contract, so he might end up being decent value. Whatever else about him, he is a goalscorer

Toney is obviously leaving Brentford, fully fit and not in the squad today.

I was very impressed by spacecraft during the Euros. He's still playing but when he retired he'll be a good one.

Spacecraft is Andros Townsend, it's an old fantasy football joke. It's like he'd turn up out of nowhere and score a worldy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ref misses 2 red cards and this thread manages to blame the Arsenal players, incredible.

Did he miss two, I'd be of the opinion he missed one. What the two you think he missed? If it's the Havertz one I don't agree with you. Both players deserved a yellow, it wasn't just one guy doing stuff, Havertz initiated it. .

The Havertz one is a red, he pretends its for his balance but its not at all. It's a fairly forceful choke. You could argue yellow for Havertz for pulling him down but the choke is a blatant red. The Jesus one is utterly bizarre, same Wolves player too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great goal but pity it was ruled out.

A minute later, Brentford take the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Kick in the bollocks for Palace there

Class FK goal denied by the ref blowing his whistle for a positionally unrelated incident.

Then Brentford go up the pitch and take the lead.

Very weird decision for the referee to disallow that Palace goal.

Adam Wharton is going to move to a big(ger) club for big big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Chelsea shirt is horrific.

• Advertisement

Haaland is just ridiculous.

Enzo Fernandez being captain of Chelsea today after what happened during the summer is odd. 0 of their 9 summer signings start this game too.

What I did find very odd was that or their 6 pre-season games, they started Gusto in only 1 game at RB or RWB. Reece James, who Chelsea knew was suspended for the first 3 games of the season, started all 5 before his injury. What sort of preparation is that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

One of the absolute worst jerseys I've seen - and it's their Home Kit !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Is Fofana usually that dreadful?

250m midfield is being dragged apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Maresca won't make past Christmas I'd say.

Electric atmosphere at this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Feel like that could've been a pen on Enzo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Linesman

*shakes head*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Will make no difference until they stop the scattergun signings approach tbh. Could be Ancelotti or Ferguson in there and they'd not be able to muster consistency from that squad. What have they 45 senior squad players now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I saw on Twitter that today was the 115 derby. 115 charges v 115 players 😁

i dont think he will lose any sleep over it. Has a contract worth £139m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ederson blessed, being checked though but he was offside.

Ederson saved there by the linesman flag. He tee'd it up perfectly for Jackson to finish.

Enzo has been rubbish

Jackson must have been born offside though seems he's never on😂

The Harry Kane trick of lying on the ground until they give you a penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Have Chelsea bought anyone with a left foot? Some amount of breaks where the player cuts in to their right foot and it is too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

City haven't gotten out of first gear. They'll win this easily 2/3 nil

Chelsea really want a penalty don't they. Must be the 3rd or 4th time they are shouting for one. They received the most in the league last season too.

Haaland deservedly got a card but it was VAR advice. Taylor never gives yellows. Imo there should have been two before then or at least one for whoever it was that went through De Bruyne in the first half.

Never even heard of about 4 of these Chelsea players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks like Chelsea have continued last seasons form

• Advertisement

Kovacic drives past Caicedo and Fernandez as if they weren't there - never laid a glove on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sacking the manager that was starting to get a tune out of them and continuing a scatter gun transfer approach would do that.

Outside of getting booked, has Caicedo done anything? Only really hear the name as players leave him in their wake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Very forgettable opening PL weekend

man city's win rate is remarkable but I do find them an awfully boring watch over 90 mins. I did manage to catch some sleep during it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement