Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I go about going into 5th year after not doing the Junior cert Exams

• 18-08-2024 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11

I didnt do my Junior Cert exams, I was told that its not an exam you must do to enter TY or 5th year, But in doing so I havent gotten any responses about going into my next year of secondary school, Im not sure what to do now as I do want to do my Leaving Cert course but I dont know how to get to that point.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

The first and most obvious piece of advice is to ring the school first thing tomorrow morning.

Who told you that you didn't need a JC? It wasn't one of your teachers, obviously. Had you registered and paid for the exams, chosen levels, etc?

Of course people occasionally go into TY or 5th yr without having done a JC, but always for good reason such as serious illness. I doubt the school would allow you to just not bother with state exams. Had you been attending school until the end of the year? If not, how long ago did you stop attending and was the school made aware of your reasons? Is there a possibility that the school have assumed you have dropped out?

Assuming we're talking about JC 2024, did you choose subjects and levels for next year at your school? Have you applied for TY, LC or LCA?

If you weren't able, or sufficiently motivated, to do the Junior cert exams are you sure that you will approach the LC differently? There are options such as youthreach that might be a better fit.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Andush

@HazeDoll like I looked up a BUNCH of stuff on it, even situations on this very website, i even went to the point to ask AI if i was allowed, Everything i researched showed that you dont need to have done the JC to enter LC, So I just didnt do the JC exams because I just assumed it was a waste to spend alot of time studying for it when I could have just gotten into the next year without it, But your telling me otherwise, so i genuinely think i ruined myself now, how do i even go about ringing them? Like “hello i was stupid, Any possible way for me to continue?” Like, I dont want to repeat a year either, Nor do I want to be absent from the school in general, it looks bad on me from my family, friends, Everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Okay I'll bite! How did your parents just not let you go do the exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭thehairygrape

Ring (or better still call in) to your school. Explain exactly as you’ve done in the OP. Take it from there. The professionals in the school will give you good advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Come on, this didn't happen. What did your parents say OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Andush

@SteM it actually did happen, And I have no clue what to do now, Im not even home to go into school and ask as Im out the country right now

What did your parents say when you didn't bother going to your JC exams? You asked AI but you didn't ask your parents? I'm not buying it.

@SteM i didnt say i asked AI, I said my research was on everything i saw online, the reason I know this website is because I saw a situation similar to mine, And thats why I made this post, I said I asked AI as a form of research too, I went through every google answer I could find relating to my situation, Every single similar situation i checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Junior Cert students are a big demographic on Boards 🤣

@SteM and as for my parents, they had kept telling me to go when they found out, But It was up until the day of the exams because thats when the school called them asking why I wasnt in, In which I had no studying done, so i explained that I would fail either way even if I did do it, because I didnt prepare AT ALL, In which they told me that I didnt have to go in after a while of convincing.

• Advertisement

im not looking to convince you that my story is real, Im looking for a solution, why would I care about getting some pity from strangers? I want an answer not a random confrontation about MY LIFE

Sounds like you should have been studying rather than researching*

*although I'm 100% certain this is a work of fiction.

Phone the school and ask. You should have asked the school in the first place.

@SteM it really is not a work of fiction, Im dead serious, but im just gonna listen to the other guy whos more sensible in helping me with my life

@Joren777 Yeah I know, thank you, but i have no idea what to say, Like im 15, im scared to death to talk to probably my principal and explain to him I was stupid likeee

okay, Im gonna delete this then so I dont get a notification every time, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭thehairygrape

no need to be scared of contacting the school. This situation is unique to you but the school have dealt with situations like this numerous times. They’re the experts. Not us here. As said above, best of luck. I’ve no more to offer I’m afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

You're 15? That's a bit old to be on this site. Just go look at the CA forum and you'll see. Speak to the school I'm sure all will work out likeee.

Warned: Trolling

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

i came for advice, not for your smartass to try to make fun of a child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I am getting worried about my pension after reading this post.

Warning: Off topic. If you've nothing to offer then say nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Repeat the year,do the JC in June 2025,skip TY,you'll be only 18 doing the LC.

An extra year of education will do you no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I agree that this whole thing seems implausible. Either your parents have an incredibly casual attitude to your education or your school is a disaster. The exams take place over two or three weeks, after you missed the first one you would surely have been marched in for subsequent exams after the school rang. In all my years of teaching I have never known anybody to form the impression that the exams were optional and to be allowed to miss them all.

However, on the off-chance that you are sincere…

I'll repeat my advice to ring the school first thing in the morning. If you genuinely don't know how to make that phonecall then nobody here can help you. Don't attempt a sob story or to pull the wool over anybody's eyes. Take responsibility and ask what your options are.

Check your schools online system (VSWare or Eportal or something.) See if your timetable is up. That will tell you what, if any, classes you are in.

Could you tell us if you ever chose subjects and levels for TY, LCA or 5th, and which you applied for. Is your school one of those where almost everybody does TY, or do you have to apply?

With the info you have given us it looks like these are your options:

Repeat 3rd year. If you were so sure you were going to fail all the exams then you probably don't have enough work done to go into 5th yr anyway. I would certainly not want somebody in my class who hadn't done enough work to pass the JC and just hadn't shown up for the exam. Doing TY will only delay this difficulty.

Youthreach. This is education for people who are not suited to the traditional school system. It might be a good fit for you.

LCA. This is Leaving Cert Applied. It is not offered in every school so you might need to consider applying in other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Soc_Alt

repeat 3rd Year ..

• Administrators Posts: 14,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The terms of use state you have to be 16 to use this site, or over 13 with parental permission. I assume you have not gotten parental permission and as you are below the age required I will lock this thread.

Please do not post again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement