Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The Mighty Lough announce their arrival in the now annual competition to lose the county final to Gowna.

Lavey very poor. How can a team play a blanket and still concede 4-14?

I think the We Are Cavan lads are right and relegation is between them, Laragh & Castlerahan but they are definitely the early pace setters.

We’ll need to improve our shooting. Should have scored a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭etuzyuk

Lavey extremely poor. Lough very poor shooting at times but then some scoring bursts and very good passages of play ran up a decent score in the end. Solid looking outfit, decent options off the bench, won't fear too many but might struggle up front with regards to lifting the trophy.

Early days, next couple of draws should make things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mylestheslasher

4-14 and poor shooting. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭rrs

Crosserlough have a huge pick compared to Gowna . 1 County title in the last 30 or 40 years is poor from Crosserlough.

Drung after beating Knockbride and Belturbet in the first 2 rounds in Junior. A few ex County players back playing with them Barry Watters and Ciaran Galligan. The Reilly brothers would be a loss Tiernan and Caolan ,but they are doing well without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Surprise win for Mullahoran. Great performance by Cormac O’Reilly.

For all the talk of the Gaels after the League, they looked very ordinary.

Seanie and Lyng under pressure after a dreadful managerial performance in Ballybay last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tazman06

I actually didn't see it as a huge surprise. Mullahoran have been waiting to make a mark in a big game and push on, and this was it. Gaels an older team, Mullahoran quite young overall, and this now looks a signature win and should be pushing on now with the youth they have

I said to the lads here that if Mullahoran were in it mid 2nd half that they win it and so it proved. Gaels running on fumes and no ideas end of it, looking for goals from early. Mullahoran county men were the difference. Gunner had a handle on GMac, Cormac very very good, and McKeogh decent too. Being able to bring on Enda to slot over a few points a difference maker too. Big result for them and trajectory the right direction now with youth

I wouldn’t see beating the Gaels as a statement win in a “big game”. The Gaels are past their best. I’d wonder what the average age of the squad is but the bulk of their team must be 30 or over and their subs were all 34 or 35.

A statement win is to beat one of the three top teams - Gowna, Crosserlough or Ramor.

Ramor just cruised through that game against Ballyhaise. It was pedestrian stuff. Ballyhaise had seven lads back for a kick out at one stage and still managed to allow a turnover.

Cavan Gaels only had Luke Fortune with the County panel I think so were mostly at full strength during the League. They don't have the punch up front like when Johnston Dunne and Lyng were playing. Mullahoran have some good young players and will be looking to make the quarter finals.

• Advertisement

Shehu started on it but was gone by the start of the League. For talented footballers, the two Shehu lads seemed too worried in getting involved in off the ball caper this evening rather than concentrating on their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 breffnitightlips

Knockbrides to lose now,Shannon gaels 2nd favourites, Drung won’t be good enough again . Redhills are missing luke McEntee now , a big miss, Kill the same, with mccaffrey back they’d be 2nd favourites

If Shannon Gaels had all the players that emigrated they would be a solid intermediate team. Aaron and PP O Hara, Stephen McManus Niall Walsh. They all played u21 for Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭piplip87

The Gaels very poor today. Hard to judge where Mullahorn are after that. I must also say Ramor where very poor tonight also. Liam Brady went of at half time, hopefully he is ok the next day. James Brady back.

Next week's game against Mullahorn will tell us a lot.

O e serious question Cavan GAA have to answer, is how is Brendan Sweeney still allowed within a mile of a football match.

With the crap I’ve seen going on over the years, even in juvenile club games, I find it hard to criticise any referee because who would want to do it? Near 70 minutes of nothing but listening to abuse from players, management and supporters. Yes there’s a monetary gain but it’s not worth it for the hassle.

Until the GAA start to tackle the issue directly, nothing is going to change. When you’ve young players watching adults treat officials like that, how are they to learn?

I agree they get awful abuse but it's also the Gaas job to tell a fella that he is not a good referee. Sweeny has been the talking point of too many games for too long in this county.

Clan na Gael beat Crossmaglen today , Clan na Gael had home advantage. I think they do home and away in Monaghan also. 2 home and away. Cavan should look to do something different. Breffni doesn't need to be used until Quarter finals onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tazman06

You're missing my point. It is from Mullahorans perspective. Gaels have been talked about in top 4, decent in betting, and Mullahoran haven't beaten them in Championship since final win in 06. Mullahoran have had issues beating higher ranked teams. They'll beat teams at their level or below, but not higher which they turned over today. Sometimes takes breaking a glass ceiling which this is. Gaels may be past their best, but still a semi was expected, and if they look old it's only because a young team (who won no group games last year) made them look so. Perspective is all I meant

Be realistic though, beggars can’t be choosers. The county board can’t get referees. They are constantly looking for them.

There are more fixtures now than ever. Sure you’ve U14, U16, minor, junior, intermediate and senior championships all running at the minute, as well as Ladies championships.

You’re also being very harsh singling out one referee. Have you ever looked into the training they get? One ref told me they get three hours or so, handed a copy of the rule book and told to go and ref some juvenile games for experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ipitydafool

I don't think anything ontoward here with the selections off that Denn team, just seems a particularly strong group of players for that club. On their own and not amalgamated they would of got to the u15 Division 1 league and cup final last year losing to the Bridge both times afaik and now since the ages reverted to even, won the u16 Division 1 league earlier in year going undefeated in it.

• Advertisement

Kildare beat Cavan in the Gerry Reilly final yesterday. 1-10 to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4 breffnitightlips

We probably have as many inter county referees as any county, a big drop off after that bar 3/4, some have their own interpretation of the rules depending what humour they’re in. Hard to get referees , so have to take what ya get!

Sometimes the intercounty lads aren’t the best either! Cormac Reilly was an intercounty ref from another county. Enough said!

They are finding it hard to get refs at County level too, or those up to the standard. McQuillan was suppose to retire from County referring a few years ago because of his age ,but they extended the age limit.

Oh I’m aware of that but I’m also aware that the Denn U13 team played in Division 3 in 2022 (lost League final to Knockbride & won championship against Blackwater Gaels).

The current U15 county squad was picked late last year off those 2022 U13 teams.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ipitydafool

The u15 squad for this year was picked off a u14 regional competition held last October or so, they joined clubs together and played off on Saturdays and then encouraged the managers who got involved with it, if they would like to then go in with the Academy/development squad which is why you had parents of some players involved in it. Obviously not ideal but a better way of selecting players than off how players played at u13 level a year prior, can be massive development or regression in short space of time with players at this age. There has been numerous posts around the underage structures at club and county level in this thread and I would agree with alot of it, Cavan are not putting their best foot forward. Even that regional comeptition and it flowing into Academy/development squads, was a copy and paste from what Monaghan had been doing from before.

This year they have refined the regional comp with clubs just sending in players they feel are of an acceptable standard. Again, they are struggling to get coaches though.

The issue with favouritism at that age is that the lads all know each other as they’re playing against each other, going to school & camps together for near a decade at that stage. Stuff like lads making a county development panel that can’t make secondary school teams makes a mockery of it.

The bottom line is that paid & unbiased coaches from the coaching & development section should be used but it appears we’re putting all our eggs into buildings and not player development.

Unfortunately, there was more controversy I hear with the U15s last weekend. I don’t see why coaches can’t be swapped about if we are using club coaches/parents. Why not put the parents of the U17 players with the U16s and the U16 parents with the 17s for example? Or, if they’re stuck, have some coaches with no kids or club men on it managing that particular team.

For a team hotly tipped for the junior, Knockbride look quite open at the back. Belturbet haven’t a lot more than Enda Henry when it comes to attacking. Whenever I see him in club football, although it’s generally at a low standard, I wonder how he didn’t get a run for Cavan. Brings loads of energy, physicality and can score.

Henry was in one year under Terry Hyland. He played a few McKenna Cup games and maybe came off the bench in a few league games. He is a good Club player, always keep himself in shape.

Mullahoran and Ramor seemed to be a drab game. 9pts to 1-6

• Advertisement

Mullahorn and Ramor terrible terrible game of football. Draw was probably the right result.

I must say after the league Ramor look completely off it. Maybe started to believe the hype but a very tough game next weekend.

Advertisement