Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Education be privatised?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Fee paying schools are also network hubs for families and friends. Hang around any rugby club, even decades later, and it's evident. Mine was a public/private mix so not casting shade but private schools give a massive leg up and the state shouldn't be subsidising such

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

Well now, aren't there a few single and low double digit accounts here

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Subsidation keeps down prices too....remove all the grants and see if food will be on sale way below the cost of production

At least until increasingly large companies start acquiring even more land (means of production)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I never suggested schools should be privatised. I asked a question without giving my own opinion.

You did, in your opening post, and you gave your own opinion as to why they should be privatised, which amounted to “housing is privatised so schools should be privatised too” -

So why not privatise schools?

By this I mean the state should stop funding them entirely and leave foreign vulture funds to come in and fund/charge for them instead? If this sounds familiar then it should as it is exactly what is/has been occurring regarding the provision of housing in Ireland for some time now.

The vast majority of schools in Ireland are already privatised to the extent that they are owned, operated, managed and maintained by Patron bodies which receive public funding for the provision of their services to the public. I can’t think of any single benefit whatsoever to the public that would come about as a result of education no longer being provided for from public funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people."

This is true anywhere. I find the only people who want to privatize education are the kind of people that want a less educated populace that puts up less of a resistance to their other batshit ideas and policy initiatives. Education is the first thing separating a 'proletariat' from being a 'peasantry.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 euzyqua

An economic hurdle.

Demoralisation to allow deconstruction in the pursuit of infinite economy.

A mere glance at the deconstruction of the idea of affordable housing over the last number of decades to the point where the word crisis is normalised, the deconstruction of nationhood and all its components and expectations have been severely eroded, social expectations such as family formation and proficient healthcare and childcare and education are subverted, and so on.

The simple fact of the matter is that with infinite amounts of people ready to enter a country, there is no need to have a self-sustaining society anymore.

What we are witnessing in real time is the transitional phase of historical society to pure economic unit.

Evidently, evidently, it is what it is.

There is little need for education beyond the basics going forward as it can be bought far cheaper from elsewhere.

The privatisation of education wholesale is simply a next logical step in deconstructing it for profit and eventual abandonment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nice try. But you need to do better.

Not biting, as it's not even close to being debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I do wonder where people get such ridiculous ideas, too much American politics perhaps?

Taking away free education would literally inhibit so many in society. To even suggest such a thing just shows a complete lack of knowledge of the ramifications it would have.

Yeah it's bad enough that we've put stupid barriers to college again, with fees.

While there is an over emphasis on 3rd level, a balancing should not come at the expense of the lower income families.

Donald Trump 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I loved the way you stated 'which amounted to' and then added in your own quotes with quotation marks as if you were quoting me.

You then began to quote directly from me from which I do not state a view whether I agree or not with privatisation. I felt it was a duty of mine, as the opening poster, to declare what I felt was meant by privatisation.

Bizarrely then after appearing to want to criticise me for supporting privatisation (where I never stated a personal view) you then go on to state that most are privatised (which is not true).

The vast majority of schools in Ireland are not privatised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Amounted to, indicates that I was not quoting you, but paraphrasing your point (not much of a point, but that aside).

The State doesn't fund schools, the State provides for education.

The vast majority of schools in Ireland are owned, operated, managed and maintained by private organisations (they belong to the third sector - charities).

My point about privatisation wasn't a criticism of you personally, it was a critique of your idea of privatisation, by reason of the fact that in my opinion your idea amounts to nothing more than a stupid idea that isn't worth entertaining by reason of the fact that it would be of no benefit to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The privatise everything crowd don't give a damn about anyone else. They'll happily see others put in a state of extreme disadvantage and not bat an eyelid, whether that's in housing, health or education. They couldn't care less if others are priced out of an essentiality, so long as they themselves can afford it. Problems only occur when they find that their privatise everything approach eventually prices them out as well.

And then they start singing a different tune.

Indeed, a detestable idea often put forth by detestable people.

Fine Gael wanted to privatise water in Ireland and those who opposed were called every name under the Sun.

The State does fund schools - pays for teachers, heating, materials. It's underfunded but still funded.

You often see this stupid argument put forth as a proof that privatisation is a good thing in general. The problem with using food as an example is that here are hundreds, if not thousands, of options. So the "market" there is very varied and one can budget if they need to.

The same cannot be said of other areas that the privatise everything crowd want to privatise, in which case you often end up with cartels and monopolies who then charge what the damn well please, which are NEVER a good result for people.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware what FG wanted to do with water in this country. Thankfully people banded together and told them to fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Ideally, the same benefits that accrue to the consumer in any other competitive, well-regulated market.

The education budget should be given directly to parents in the form of vouchers, not to schools or teachers.

Information on school performance should be publically available.

Schools should control their own budgets and compete for students and to employ teachers directly, as they see fit, while subject to appropriate regulation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Have any countries switched to this and found your claims to be true?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

" They should be working 35+ hour weeks , studying , be tested and be fired for bad performance"

I have a feeling you don't know many teachers. I can speak for primary school teachers anyway, having been one myself for over twenty years and taught in a few different schools. Day begins officially at nine and finishes at either half two or three for first class and upward with a 15 min break in the morning and half an hour for lunch.

I've never known a teacher who left the school at home time. Everybody either comes in an hour early or stays for an hour after school. Some of the younger teachers do an extra two hours a day and they do it voluntarily. You have to put in extra hours outside the classroom if you want to do the job properly, lesson planning, making/sourcing materials, tidying and organizing your classroom. Then there's the marking and correcting of written work and maths for the older classes, writing up notes and liaising/having meetings with support staff such as resource or learning support.

As for measuring teachers on performance ……… our OECD outcomes show that our teachers do a very good job but measuring teachers' performance means measuring children's performance and not all children are academic or equal. The best teacher is the one who finds something in each child, some talent, skill or strength that can enrich that child's development, who lights a spark of enthusiasm for learning of any kind in each and every child. The best teachers are the ones who have good relationships with the parents, with their colleagues, with the children themselves. It's not about how many children in the class got 10/10 in a spelling test.

And one of the major strengths we have in Ireland is the quality of pastoral care and the emotional support children get from the school. You can't 'measure' that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

So they work 9.00-2.30 according to you, with 30+15 break. 5.30hrs - 0.45hrs = 4.45hrs , 4.45hrsx5=23.45hrs a week. Or they, according to you, might work in extra 30 minutes to 3pm, or and early career might put in a WHOPPING 2 hrs overtime a day which still doesn't bloody bring us to 5pm or add up to 35hrs a week.

Then you're off half days, off for summer, off for midterms, off every Christmas every Easter break, off for every holiday in the book and off every time there is bad weather. Off for nearly half of the year actually, at 195 working days MAX out of the total 365. Anyone else in the economy is asked to work 60 extra days a year, at least, that's a total of 3 months extra work in a year.

Do you have any idea how entitled teachers look to an average wage slave? it's absurd. That 9-5 you described as some sort of hellish worst scenario, that's the DREAM out in the real world.

• Advertisement

You really should try that job you are describing. It sounds decent enough!

Why don't you do the Hibernia or similar post-grad teacher training and then get a job as a teacher in a DEIS school and see how you get on? I recommend primary school teaching as there's a great reward in teaching children to read - but be prepared for at least 25% of your pupils to struggle with basic literacy.

Of course in your ideal world your 'performance' will be measured, so you'd better find a way of getting the child with significant behaviour problems, absent father, drug addict mother etc. to read as well as their more capable or stable peers.

Btw also be ready to deal with the nine- year-old child who suddenly bursts into tears during a maths class. You take them outside into the corridor and wait while they struggle to tell you 'Oh, teacher, my-my-my uncle - he, he…………' and you think 'Oh God, are they going to tell me they're being abused?' But no, it's actually 'my uncle, he hanged himself!'

If you teach infants, be ready to tell a mother that her child's speech delay is not normal and support her when after many months it's discovered that her child is on the Autistic spectrum.

And be ready to teach a class where every September you will have a new intake who don't speak any English.

Btw, how are you with dealing with toilet accidents or a child vomiting all over their workbook?

Why I wouldn't go into teaching is same as my first point, too little work too little reward. Both need to be up it should be a real respectable profession (which with no accountability, no danger of being fired or disqualified - it is not) and therefore be rewarded in line with that.

Naturally if anyone such as myself ever even floats the idea that teachers should be fairly compensated but should also do a fair amount of work even somewhat comparable to just about any alternative career path, the whining begins. And I could forgive and let go but I see also that because of this the ambitious , smart, hard working don't go into teaching. They know they can make more cash elsewhere be it army, bus driver, finance, IT, nursing… but they have to work for it. and they will get fired if they fail. They don't get to say the equipment or the numbers or the clients or the patients are stupid, or don't speak English, or are autistic, or lost an uncle or puked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

The likes of Serco and Capita would be reason enough to know that private companies should not be let near education.

There are so many inaccuracies in this post I suspect you don't actually live in this country.....and that's just for starters.

If you did decide to become one it wouldn't take you long to discover just how incorrect you are.

Let's start with the fact you appear to think people could make more money in the army here...

You must not have been paying attention for the last decade, or are they "whining" too?

Ffs people couldn't wait to try buy themselves out of the army and it hasnt improved in the intervening years.

Do tell how them lads earn less. You might have a bit of a teacher take on it, get in sit on your ass for 40 years. That's not how the real world works. Ambitious lads work up the ranks.

But then, I respect our defence forces.

Now I know you really don't have a clue.

What I wrote doesn't mean I don't have respect for our defence forces btw .... either you like to jump to foolish ill thought out conclusions or thats a pretty low tactic attributing that sentiment to me or in this case I'd hazard a guess it's what you think yourself and I have a lot more respect for "our" defence forces than you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A new private earns €662.08 per week (I assume it's per week, that's what their pay scale shows), which is just shy of €35k per annum.

A new secondary teacher earns €44,329 per annum.

The top non-com rate looks to be €1,312.94 (again, assuming this is per week), which is just over €68k per annum.

Top point of secondary teacher scale is just shy of €81k per annum.

Which is to say, both our teachers and military personnel are woefully underpaid, but to think that people will take a job in the defence forces to make more money than being a teacher is just laughable.

• Advertisement

I admit I might have overestimated how lucrative that is, though they do have some decent BIKs.

Convinced now , slash teacher pay, pay more to the troops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

Schools are free and public because that best serves the economic interests of the country. We need a well educated population to maintain high employment rates.

Where schools are private they are able to shape their curriculum to whatever suits their agenda. Hence in the UK and America we have religiously extreme schools teaching both Islamic and fundamentalist Christianity, all on the governments ticket through voucher schemes. Both countries are suffering drops in educational achievement as a consequence.

Private schools are socially corrosive, and so a terrible idea. There are also a whole raft of knock on problems caused by poorly educated people (who can't afford the good private schools) who are functionally useless to employers.

This school is fully private (funding coming from America I think) and it terrifies me. It is on the campus of my old secondary school and run by a former classmate of mine. Guy is a legitimate genius so was stunned to see how strict a catholic he is

https://www.materdeiacademy.ie/

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

"They don't get to say the equipment or the numbers or the clients or the patients are stupid, or don't speak English, or are autistic, or lost an uncle or puked."

You seem to have taken my post as an excuse for what you perceive as low standards in the teaching profession. Actually we have very high standards in Ireland. Even the most basic research on our educational outcomes would show you that.

However, what I was trying to explain, is that unlike corporate jobs or other kinds of jobs, as a teacher you will be called upon to deal with all kinds of situations that you would never encounter in the average office/corporate environment, situations that go far beyond instilling the academics into students. Teaching is a very demanding job.

As others have commented you give the impression that you're not from Ireland. In general teaching is a respected profession in this country.

Finally, the best teachers are not the 'smartest' or most 'ambitious'. They are the ones with patience, a sense of humour, empathy, kindness, love of their work/subject, imagination, creativity and dedication to their students.

Do you also say that when teachers are moaning about their wages (among the highest in the country) or discussing strike action? No? Then, don't be a hypocrite, its a very poor reflection on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This is just based on a quick Google, but one search says the average wage in Ireland is €45,000 and another says the average teacher earns €44,000.

So it's not long the highest wage in Ireland.

That's completely incorrect. The salary scale is here. Starts at €43k and rises to €80k for post-primary for example. That's excluding pay for exams, July Provision, etc.

https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/a3444-revision-of-teacher-salaries-under-the-public-service-agreement-2024-2026-effective-from-01-january-2024/

A single teacher earns more than many dual income households.

A two teacher household is within top 5% of income earners in the country for the majority of their career. Taxpayer units refers to a single person or married couple.

Eh?

Do I ask people to try the job they are already doing????

Logic does not appear to be your strong suit...

• Advertisement

When teachers are moaning about their lot, do you ask them if you don't like it, go and do another job?

Not really, I used to be one ....I know exactly how difficult a job it used to be and probably still is.…I'd encourage them to carve out some time for the good of their mental and physical wellbeing to think about other options and make plan to leave it if it doesn't suit them... like I did...that's significantly different from a curt and dismissive go and do another job...that's come up with a plan for a managed withdrawal because ultimately your health and happiness should be the priority....and if the system shows no signs of improving its time to be selfish and look after number one.

But when people insist it's wonderful and amazingly well paid etc....you have to wonder why they don't try and get into it if it's so great......tbh I take those people with a big grain of salt....they clearly haven't a breeze what the job is really like in your average school never mind an a more difficult school in a deprived area..

I'd be surprised if they would last much longer than a couple of weeks....but what I'd really like is for them to have to do it for 3 or 4 years and be dependant on the job and then talk to them after that and see what their opinions are.…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

By this I mean the state should stop funding them entirely and leave foreign vulture funds to come in and fund/charge for them instead?

This is exactly why it's a terrrible idea: you want foreign vested interests controlling what goes into children's heads.

People like Twitter/X maybe? The Heritage Foundation? Promoting more Derek Blighes and Philip Dwyers?

The RCC? Back to catechism teaching and hands-above-the-covers sleeping?

Disney? Coca-Cola/Pepsi?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

that's significantly different from a curt and dismissive go and do another job

Yeah, thought so. I called you out on your double standards. Was this not being curt when you told another poster?

More double standards from you:

they clearly haven't a breeze what the job is really like

Do teachers know when they are moaning about their own lot and comparing to the supposed advantages of other jobs know what other jobs are like?

No, I don't think it was curt to suggest if they think it's so great why not do it....that's inviting them in not dismissing them..…come have a go, see if you still have the same opinion afterwards...you'll notice I'm not critiquing other roles from a position of what seems like ignorance...merely saying maybe, just maybe they should try it for a sustained periods...if they think it's so great....it doesn't appear logical to give out about how great something is and not try get it yourself if you think it's so wonderful.....just as its not logical if the reverse is true to remain at something.....in both cases it should be obvious a bit of planning, time thought and effort would have to go into either entering the role or having a managed withdrawal.....

To me that seems entirely consistent and logical ...I'm not sure what your point is at all the more I think about it.

And to address your second point .…In my case I really do know what the advantages and disadvantages of some other jobs are.....having done a couple of them over the years...public and private sector, business etc so I feel I do have some insight....although obviously subjective....but that's as good as a lot of the commentary I see on the other side of things tbh

Certainly a lot less bitter/resentful/almost agressive than some of stuff I've read from the posters who particularly like to characterise with choice words like moan and whinge etc....

Now if one wanted an example of curtness or dismissiveness...charaterising what people write in a debate as moaning or whinging.......that's pretty belittling...are you sure you shouldn't be to use that awful phrase "called out"?

Advertisement