Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭JohnC.

insolvent Tritium is being acquired by Indian charging company Exicom

https://www.electrive.com/2024/08/08/tritium-to-be-acquired-by-exicom/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

The EV Charging arm of Applegreen has only been going a wet week. With 200+ stations in the country is it any wonder it's taking them so long to rollout chargers. I guess they identify the most lucrative sites and start there by dropping in a charger before moving on to the next.

For M1 travellers I can see on plugshare they are planning to install a charger at their M1 Balbriggan service station and slightly further off the motorway will be another charger at their service station at Balbriggan Shopping Centre. It should improve the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"a"..."charger"...?

Isn't it obvious it doesn't make financial sense to install more than 1 in a lot of these locations? Or at least it doesn't until EV's are a greater % of the fleet.

Entities like Applegreen, Circle K and eCars for example are not providing a public service. Where they install needs to make business sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭zg3409

Seasoned EV drivers will drive past single site chargers towards hubs where they are less likely to encounter a queue, a broken charger without another one next to it, and possibly a better food offering. In the future old small petrol stations that serve local gas guzzling owners will struggle to survive. Most EV drivers will charge at home or work, public charging will be expensive and avoided. Public charging will mostly be performed on longer inter city trips at hubs. Apartments will eventually get chargers and possibly supermarkets will join the game with 50+kW chargers. It's unlikely a local petrol station with no real grid connection and room for 10-30 cars will be viable even if they had chargers, the grid upgrade and usage would be low. The whole business model of drivers visiting once a week and buying groceries and overpriced coffee and moving on after 5 minutes may be a world away. My (very young) kids thought the red petrol station was a fire station, as they had never been there and did not know what a petrol station was ! ⛽ I want a hub 300km from where I live or 150km+ so I can top up when I need it. Everywhere within 150-200km of my home is home charger range.

• Advertisement

While I agree with what you say will happen in the long term the reality today is that we're still in the early stages of adoption. The transition as we're currently seeing involves the rollout of one or two chargers dotted around the place. They will either be pulled out in time or additional chargers dropped in to create hubs as EV's become ubiquitous.

Until then the business case of installing multiple chargers doesn't stack up for a lot of locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭kirving

In some ways, just installing a single charger is a very bad idea.

Even if it's utilisation is high, very quickly you get a reputation as full, and similar reputation issues if it's down for any reason. First impressions are everything, and it's hard to recover from that.

(There's a petrol station that I avoid, purely because they served me horrible sausage rolls once. Irrational but I'm not taking that chance when I'm hungry and on the way to work.)

The problem is though, it's very hard to justify that extra investment up front for more chargers. There's also the issue that the install price doesn't necessarily drop the more you install.

The first X number is probably cheap enough, but once you hit your electricity supply limit, it's a big step up to install N+1 chargers.

Sorry your out of touch....

This is the M1 one of the countries main motorways. And north Dublin coast, beaches are real black spots for chargers. It's crazy there are not more charging hubs on this route.

As I said it's a transition. In a couple of years the M1 will be served with adequate charging infrastructure and this discussion will be long forgotten.

It's not a transition. The M1 route is lagging behind, due to Applegreens shenanigans.

It's quite something to advise people the best place to charge on a route is not at the motorway services.

• Advertisement

What shenanigans would these be? You seem to have some inside knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,070 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭crl84

It's a bizarre strategy. As mentioned above, people, including myself, give the M1 Castlebellingham services a swerve due to the single charger. If they put a second there, instead of a "transitional" single one elsewhere, and started to make a hub, they'd get plenty of business.

Is the single one at Balbriggan services going to entice any drivers on the M1? I doubt it. It's just going to be another sub-standard setup that M1 drivers generally avoid.

Post edited by crl84 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If Paulstown on the M9 can have 2, surely the M1 locations should have at least 2 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Ev fan

The letter of the day in the Irish Times yesterday was another negative spin on EVS. The context was it was a response to the article on 25% less EV sales here in 2024. Basically the gentleman was saying that older EV batteries like the phone batteries will have to be dumped in dumps here or failing that will have to be sent to Bongo Bongo land for all the nasty stuff to leach out there. Where do you start? Perhaps the Editor could get the motoring correspondent to do an informed article on battery repair and recycling. Jesus wept!

Media is both Anti EV bias and milking it with click bait for some time now.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058325642/increase-in-anti-ev-media-articles/p55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

This one is pretty balanced.....shows EV are still doing well outside of Ireland

But most of the points raised are valid and it's a bit forward looking too, which is rare

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0815/1464996-electric-car-sales-ireland-2024-analysis-early-adopters-mainstream-consumers/

Haven't looked at the embedded videos but it's likely they aren't in synch with the rte article. My problem with the rte article is it ignores the media role in spreading fud, it's effect on sales, price war effect on new and used prices and also taxis seem to embraced EVs with a passion.

But it's good to have a conversation about where the market goes from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Definitely one of the more balanced factual articles out there in a sea of Clickbait and misinformation.

• Advertisement

There is still a few free public charge points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Even if they install the second charger at all their sites it's debatable if it'll be enough

Ionity seems to regularly have most of their chargers in use during the week. Just did a spot check and 3 chargers are in use on a random Saturday

Those Applegreen sites could probably support 8-10 chargers each and see a decent turnover of cars

Although between Ionity in City north and Toome, and Circle K in Clonsaugh I suspect they'll carve out the majority of charging business

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Have an E golf here and the central locking has stopped working and I have to hold the key up to the steering column to start the car as keyless start has stopped working as well. I thought it might be the battery but the other key is the same? How do I change the battery in it can I do it myself or is it a dealer job?

Possibly both batteries are dead in both keys. It happened to us a few times, the main keys give a warning, and the spare keys rarely used have a flat battery. Beware there are lots of different battery sizes and types. They can be difficult to change and you could break the key. Bring it to a car parts place or a jewellery place and they will fit one for you.

Its a bit tongue in cheek. Guys stole electricity from a rental property and left a massive bill. I can see people hogging free work chargers and some vehicles are already capable of powering your home from "stolen" work electricity. I could see free public chargers, there are a few, being used by locals to fill up daily, then powering their house or their crypto mining rig to save or even make money. If you get paid for export electricity in theory you could get cash back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Central working not working wouldn’t be related to a key fault, more likely a fuse blown. If it’s the remote locking thats not working and the coin type battery in the key is dead, then that’s an easy fix. Those key batteries rarely last more than 12months on a car with KESSY. Guide here on replacement for a MK7 Golf;

https://youtu.be/FVyLFuVqjlk?si=tbaYPYajQ1M7-2Ti

Batteries don't seem to last long, I'd also give strong odds both batteries are almost gone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Something smells there.GPU mining alt coins doesn't have that sort of return unless electricity is ... Almost free.

Asic bitcoin. Same story they pull a lot of power.

Either bill was still too low, or the 100k is just made up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

surprised ye succumbed to that clickbait

Advertisement