Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you want a takeaway delivered or your car cleaned, pay the full economic cost, without government subsidies with regard to housing benefit and welfare top-up's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What you're proposing is illegal and discriminatory though.

Anyone who comes to Ireland must be afforded the same rights and equality in the eyes of the law that you or I have.

You're not allowed to selectively choose Nigerian and Filipino women.

Why not have men here instead? Why not have Islamic men? If they happen to support Islamic groups that hate the west, who are you to make accusations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thete are plenty of differences, but I still dont know which difference you are trying to point out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,558 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A modern version of "who will pick the cotten" , some Irish people think they are "Temu Billionaires" ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I know many people from the Philippines in Ireland who are very hard workers. Do you ever hear of them causing trouble? Never.

Our elderly would be in serious trouble without them. Many are carers, work with the hse, nursing homes and also in hospitals. Many engineers I know too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The open border to the UK will cause massive problems I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

One side tell us that Mass Migration is good for the economy, helps prop up the health care system, etc.

The other side tell us that the influx is putting too much strain on an already struggling system, etc.

Meanwhile, we hear stories like this emerge. Like most things in life the truth will be somewhere in the middle. Funding is a very real issue, yes... but so is a rapid influx in population.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cvg3wgjkedzo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The Irish electorate have, over the last couple of decades pushed to the left.

We're now in a situation where FF/FG are left of center, the main opposition parties are far left and the one right of center party we had (PDs) were obliterated.

The electorate has consistently rewarded big government, big social welfare, big spending and consistently punished fiscal prudence.

The situation we find ourselves in now is just a case of chickens coming home to roost.

We wonder how we ended up in this situation - because it's what we choose.

A lot of people are starting to wake up now with a bad case of buyers remorse but it's a little late.

There's no credible opposition to the current path. Anyone who thinks things won't get even worse with SF in government is quite frankly, a moron

We are stuck on this path for the foreseeable and things are going to get a hell of a lot worse in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

I mean like seriously you come to Dublin with a tent and you get put up in a 5 star hotel and given social welfare with no background checks -are these lads been treated better than our own? and if you think yes the question is why do our own government resent us ?

No one thinks Sinn Fein are the answer they are finished they had their chance and deliberately dropped the ball as they dont want to be in government they just want to make noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 euzyqua

Gaslighting is a colloquialism, defined as manipulating someone into questioning their own perception of reality.

The gaslighting on display in this country is simply staggering. Healthcare myths are the same as the myth about so many migrants will build all the housing. Its a proven dud.

The volume of money attached to illegal immigration is why it remains untouched, it is an entire industry at this point.

Whether legal or not, migration numbers growing into the millions, amongst the worst housing crisis ever, less gardai than ever, less prison space than ever, crap contracts for healthcare staff while importing cheaper people to suppress livable working conditions, the whole stinking lot of it.

It's nothing but gaslighting an entire country into accepting shite conditions that could only ever profit a few while damning the majority.

Even the die hards must be having second thoughts of the story they were sold by now.

If "growing" the population were anything like the promises, then why, a decade later, are so many important elements of society worse than ever? It was and is nothing but gaslighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Exactly. Healthcare in Ireland didn't start when mass immigration arrived. They say our healthcare will collapse without immigrants. What they mean is "we've run these jobs into the ground and so forced out many Irish qualified to other countries thus leaving us dependent on immigrants".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

@Thorny Queen thank you for posting that. I couldn’t agree more and that narrative is an insult to many Irish medical professionals. More people need to counter this narrative when it comes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was in hospital for a while without the use of my hands, the guys that deliver my breakfast did not speak English and would drop the tray in front of me and leave, then due to carers being overstretched nobody would Come to feed me, then yer man would call back and take my tray without even asking why it wasn't touched 😀😀

I do love African and Indian nurses though, lovely people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭prunudo

the only way it will change, is once the election is called, FF distance themselves from FG and move back to the right. Unlikely to happen, but if they had the backbone and conviction to do it, it would work out well for them imo. Once they actually see it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Unfortunate timing. AGS raises the threat level for political extremism because of far-right protests and an apparent Islamic extremist attacks a military barracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Paraphrasing Bart Simpson but the Gards couldn't catch a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,029 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They were never right wing in the way that is usually understood though - more like a 'rural Catholic conservatism' than anything in common with, say, the Nigel Farage / GB News crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

"right-wing" in Ireland doesn't always align with how it is in other countries, just because we hold protest in Ireland we're called Right Wing by the governments are RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,497 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yup the Governments mouth pieces label anyone that has concerns about immigration as far right/racist. It's text book by this government, scare mongering and deflection.

It's a very smart move by the government but there's cracks showing, the Irish people may not openly protest on the streets in very large numbers but your local politician will hear it on the door step and boy they'll be some kicking in the general election.

We see it in the polls, immigration will be a huge talking point during the general election.

I heard a very insightful phrase describing majority of these illegals.

"Welfare tourists"

It's bang on isnt it, most of these people are illegal immigrates that come to Ireland for the nice benefits. Lovely hotels, lovely food, 38 euro, your clothes washed, medical card etc etc. God it's no wonder they come here isnt it.

Warned: "Most of these people"?

Generalisations don't help your argument.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭twinytwo

As fully expected - deflection. Typically you are unable to answer the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Mount street bridge - its back looking like a shanty town, tents inside the fencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Saw a few lads walking out of bushes behind the airport yesterday (up near the Boot Inn). Sure what's the harm. Hopefully everywhere can be enriched by blokes sleeping in tents not working. We need them for health care jobs

Assuming you are talking per year - we didn't. 2022,2023 and most likely 2024 have/will surpass(ed) the peak year of 02 of 11.5k.

There is no answer - we are stuck with either FF/FG again or some weird left/far left coalition. Which would be even worse than the current shower in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭threeball

Rather than getting involved in constant arguments in this country about racism and refugees I think we need to actually decide what we want the future of this country to look like. What should the population be? Are we happy to go down the same route as England and have a heavy population density and gain the economic benefits that comes with a larger population or do we value the less hectic, strained life that living in a lower density population allows.

Some people have bandied about figures of 10-15m people eventually living on the Island. Is this something we want or is the constant chase for economic growth and personal financial growth worth all the downsides that come along with it.

We will always have a duty to take a certain amount of refugees regardless of what we choose but I think a conversation needs to be had as to what we as a nation want it to look like in 20-30yrs. Asking the question as part of an election manifesto isn't enough, as it gets diluted with all the other topics of the day. I think there needs to be a specific vote about the direction we take. It will form our future in regard to what we as a people want and democratically decide once and for all the will of the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭prunudo

thats all very well, but when you see the delays to planning permission for essential infrastructure we just aren't able to plan for the future.

But equally, increasing our population can't just be a free for all. Because we can't have a situation where a flood of migrants become a drain on already strained welfare and social housing system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,029 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Irish referendums are only held on matters that require changes to the constitution. The constitution says absolutely nothing about immigration or asylum seekers, so there is nothing to be amended - it's solely up to the Dáil to legislate on asylum / immigration laws going forward.

You are using the word we a lot here - to be honest the government has taken the word we out of our society,WE have no say anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭threeball

Thats my point "we" have not been asked what we want. Its been levied on us and we just have to accept what happens. At election time, 10 other issues are higher priority and we don't decide of immigration solely. To be honest we need to go more to a swiss style where big issues like this are put to the people rather than having the individual beliefs of a Taoiseach or high ranking minister set our course.

Advertisement