Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wet, autumnal morning in Cork City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wet dark miserable morning in Leitrim 11C. It reached the dizzy heights of 17C yesterday when the sun managed to peak out from the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Grey, cool morning. Had the heat on for 20 minutes. Great big band of rain on it's way from the West a couple of hours away with what should make for a manky monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yesterday was a really nice day and I managed 2 swims. Today is going to be very wet, during work hours at least. I have really noticed river/lake water levels rising in the west since start of August. I am amazed that Dublin Airport has only received 8mm of rain so far in August - the east is keeping the dry pattern going. Hope skies are clear for the blue moon later.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very dark in Galway torrential rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gilly1910

Probably pushing it somewhat to say we have been spoilt. My definition of been spoilt weather wise would be a few weeks or more of gorgeous blue skies and temperatures in our around 25 degrees every day. Yes August has not been bad, but it doesn't look like we are going to get any sustained period of really good weather this Summer.

I agree, not spoilt whatsoever. My take so far this month is that it's been ok. That's it. Nothing to get the brass band out for. Some nice days. Nothing spectacular. We had a low bar going in to August, but take it as an isolated Summer month, then it will be easily forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭glightning

I think Sept will deliver at least a short settled spell. Perhaps low twenties.

I think once the heat drops a little in the US, the jet stream will weaken as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yesterday in Cork was an absolute cracker. It felt a bit summery and the slight breeze was warm. Lovely day.

Today is dreadful so far but at least it was expected and at least its during working hours. Should have cleared by this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

No rain yet around Celbridge but it's definitely imminent. Actually not so bad of a morning so far though - as good as all last week, except for the nice Monday. Cloudy and only a very light breeze is better than we've had most days.

Yesterday was a lovely day, really enjoyed it. The sun managed to get through the light clouds a fair bit, and the breeze was only light. Not that warm but pleasant. It had really felt like Autumn Tue-Sat here with cool, cloudy, windy conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Don't think it's going to be nearly as bad a day as was forecasted by Met Eireann, at least away from the NW. Met Eireann forecasting 6mm of rain for South Wicklow from 12-5 but looking at the radar I don't think that's on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Agreed. Barely 1mm of rainfall here in Limerick City today so far and looking at the radar the front seems to be breaking up as it moves east.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ros4Sam24

Rotten day here could be >20mm before days end, a shocking August so far here

Looks like that huge band of rain is going to miss N Kildare anyway. Blustery day, cloudy, 16c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭pauldry

Up to 95mm now for August in Sligo so at 100% for the month and much more to come. Will be another monsoon August in general for the NW despite some sunny days of 17c. 8c colder maxes than some Summers this year with 12c to 17c most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Hairypoppins

The much vaunted washout of a day is a complete bust here in Dublin, it's a warm pleasant one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Not the case in Cork area .. carrigaline. Bucketing down consistently since early morn.

I suspect ( by looks of met dot ie site ) yesterday will have been the last summer-ee day for 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭pureza

Not much rain in Arklow,just dull drizzle

But man the wind has got up

It's been a while,gusting north of 60kmh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭yagan

Got very gusty here in Cork harbour for a while but seems to be easing off a bit now.

Electric picnic was very lucky this front didn't arrive sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is how August has looked so far. It's another +NAO month but compared to June and July which were primarily NW'ly driven feeding in relatively cool air often from the North Atlantic, August has been much more southwesterly drawing in tropical maritime air from the central Atlantic increasing the humidity and overall temperatures relatively speaking. But that also means more chance of rain as this wind direction combined with low pressure gives way to high moisture levels. An atmospheric river setup if I've ever seen one.

One quirky thing though has been just how dry the east has been here, particularly the Dublin area. Belmullet is on a rounded 109mm to the 18th whilst Dublin Airport is just on a rounded 9mm, 100mm less. We can often see a significant difference in these setups between the west and east but this is rather peculiar.

It seems that fronts have either just gotten stuck to the northwest or they lose all their moisture as they come down the country with ridging nearby to the southeast but not quite getting over Ireland to delivering a good summery spell. Not sure how true this is but seen suggestion that this could be down to a deceleration in winds aloft and increased sinking motion in the upper troposphere suppressing the formation of convergence lines and reducing moisture? I don't know but it's an interesting case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

I think our definitions of warm and pleasant are very different, 17C, very dark, very windy and some intermittent drizzle in North Dublin

The rainfall will be even more pronounced by end of August. Some of the West might get 200mm while the East may not get over 40mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think people need to set realistic expectations of summer in parts of Ireland. If people are saying Dublin has not been great in August for weather what are the expectations? In the past 3 consecutive weeks there has been a total of 8mm of rain, close to bone dry and temperature between 20-24 degrees for the vast majority of those days. Has it been constantly sunny? No but i think perspective is needed. Of course I would love sunny and 25-30 degrees every day but dry warm and low 20s every day is pretty damn good for ireland.

Even today it was supposed to be heavy rain and not one drop of rain has fallen yet here in North Dublin. I would take this August every year if offered, I can remember a few washouts in August's of the past.

I think this summer in Dublin has been a tale of two halves. Awful weather and unseasonably cold in the first half and dry and warm so far for 2nd half. I appreciate that may not have been the case in other parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

This is a weather enthusiasts forum though, people are seeking memorable weather, not "pleasant but unsettled and cloudy", and anyway from what I've seen the majority of people posting from Dublin have been happy enough with this month, myself included.

It's the same logic as in the winter shooting down anyone who want's cold and snow with "it's 2C colder than average this month, 5C instead of 7C so what do you expect, stop your complaining!"

Bloody hell, i've known some Orange alerts were it hasn't felt as blustery outside. WILD, N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The last week and the coming week is showing a vast difference in the Weather between the North west and the rest of Ireland, many stations in the NW now getting close to the average totals already, and other stations are very low amounts.

Forecast for the next week is showing the same pattern with the North west again getting the brunt of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

All I want is like 2 or 3 days sunny weather with no cloud incorporating a weekend, it's mad that we haven't had that all summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I completely agree. We had a very dry May/June/July in the west but it was colder than average. I thoroughly enjoyed it because it was bright and dry - the "cold" never bothered me in the slightest. We will know all about real cold soon enough. My golf handicap improved no end but has been rising again since the wetter weather started in August. I did notice that I didn't do half as much kayaking as last May/June because it was colder and somewhat windier. Dry trumps all in my opinion. Like Sryan, I am amazed that Dublin has only got 9mm of rain so far in August despite the pivot to warmer south westerlies. I'd take that for sure.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Still no significant rain beyond drops on the breeze in Maynooth, but that wind is wild. Leaves everywhere.

• Advertisement

Up to 105mm for minth in Sligo today 18mm and still it rains

Advertisement