Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I am focussing on the current schedule and those names came up against some of the programmes shown on the schedule. According to his Linkedin profile, John Daly has produced programmes for RTE both on radio and television, and I was talking about any connection to "mainstream" RTE. I wasn't looking at former RTE Gold presenters, but Karl was briefly a presenter of some motoring show on RTE television.

Incidentally, I was looking at Karl Tsgdinos's Linkedin page and I don't think he updated it in a while. It still shows him as a presenter on RTE Gold. While I am there, I found a few unrelated errors. It says he started on 4FM in February 2008 - it was actually 2009 (that's when the station started!). His start and end years with Radio Ireland/Today FM should be 1997 to 2003, rather than 1998 to 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭ekkinak

I Am The Greatest by A House playing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

I ramber Karl Tsigdino's "River of Soul" on Today FM... what a different station it was then! I wonder was he still producing/presenting Drive! On Rte TV at the same time as being on today fm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

2 1990s songs were played on todays "All 80s Saturday" with amanda fennelly they were marc almond "days of pearly spencer" and maura o'connell "summerfly", both from 1992.

Even if the presenter/producer of the show is not familiar with the songs years, with info on songs easily accessible on the web and on playout systems, you would think errors like this would not happen.

I only tuned in twice today for a few minutes and heard these so maybe they are others from other decades ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭GSF

Maura O’Connell was definitely released late 80s

It was released as part of "A Womans Heart" album in 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭its_steve116

1990-1992 was the 1980s in all but name, in my view.

A woman’s heart album was basically a compilation album of songs that’s had been previously released on other albums. I suppose you have a point if they played the version off the Women’s Heart album

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xxnza.com

Two certain songs from the early 90s, The one and only by Chesney Hawkes and Friday I'm in love by The Cure often get played on 80s shows and 80s stations, they were playlisted on Today FMs old 7pm Friday Night 80s show all through it's 18 year run, presumably because they sound so 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭its_steve116

It's still the cultural 80s in my view, the first three years of the 90s.

"It Must Have Been Love", "Show Me Heaven", "Everything I Do", "Wind of Change", "Enjoy the Silence", "Sacrifice", "November Rain", "King of Wishful Thinking", "U Can't Touch This" - all released between 1990 and 1992. To name but a few!

Post edited by its_steve116 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pat James

Summerfly was a track on Maura O'Connell's 1989 album Helpless Heart

The more music drive with carol moran has no presenter this week, just wall to wall music with no 'more music drive' liners

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ZaK23-54

just listening to Micky Mac all 70’s show on RTÉ Gold..

He played a vinyl copy of Ten to Eight by David Castle and mentioned that in the early days of Radio 2 DJ’s as well as cueing the vinyl - they also played the Adds from Carts. ‘There was no voice tracking in those days in those days’ he said. Jocks certainly earned their money then.

I take it he hardly voice tracks the show if he includes vinyl? He must be hitting 70 so knows his seventies music 🎵!

the show is not live as far as i know, although micky gives the impression it is. no weekend show on Gold is live and never was. i would estimate that micky is around 73.

in relation to the david castles song, like a few songs on the Gold playlist, it wouldve been ripped from a vinyl record and uploaded as a file to the computer system for playout.

RTE dont play vinyl "live" in their studios, I would say there is a turntable in at least one of their production studios in dublin for such vinyl uploads.

I've also heard other Radio 2 dj's describe the early days and the process was that the ads were played by a technical person in another studio from cart. the dj only played jingles on cart and records.

on the pirate stations the dj wouldve played the ads, so they did everything for playout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I’ve never seen that David Castles tune on CD, so it’s very possible Gold only have a vinyl rip.

Even if it's not on CD in their library, radio stations such as Gold no longer source their songs from CDs, there are plenty of music services on line such as "ilikemusic" that will provide a song file in seconds. I'd say the David Castles song was vinyl ripped by John Clarke during his 2FM days, nowadays he'd just source the song on line.

I'd say most of the RTE Gold playlist was built from these music providers, it's much handier than going to the physical music library finding a CD and then ripping it just for one oldie. Although I quite like the picture in my head of CDs or vinyl being used for these sourcing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ZaK23-54

I had forgotten how beautiful Ten to Eight by David Castle was until I heard Micky play it….earlier today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

One aspect of RTE Gold is starting to annoy me…repetition.

Saturday morning: they play Tainted Love by Soft Cell

Saturday mid day the featured year is 1981 and they play…..Tainted Love by Soft Cell.

Sunday Morning Ireland's Biggest jukebox they play Killer Queen.

Sunday Afternoon the DJ chooses to play two songs by Queen one of which is …Killer Queen

And Ronan Collins' mystery year today is ….1981. Again. So we've had Ghost Town by the Specials..again.

In the old days this might be called "excessive rotation".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Yes there can be a fair amount of repetition sometimes alright. I'm noticing Damn I wish I was your lover by Sophie b Hawkins a lot at the moment. Still not half as bad as other stations.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

You would have thought, though, that a full-time oldies station might be able to play more than one song by Soft Cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭ekkinak

Absolutely,

Bedsitter, Say Hello and Torch were all top 5, (think Torch reached no. 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Guy_In_Cognito

RTE Gold definitely suffer from repetition, I presume there's a reason for that, but as others stated, still better than other stations. Classic Hits seem to play Toto's Africa ten times a day.
    RTE Gold are very fond of You Got It by Roy Orbison, and can be a bit boy band heavy at times, but it's still by far my favourite Radio 'Channel'.

I guess it’s the weekend shows not being integrated into the playlist so if they play a song as part of the chart countdown they don’t count that as a play when doing rotation. Other than that some presenters seem to have favourites that keep popping up.

But if you only listen for an hour a day would you notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I was only commenting to my wife this afternoon when I heard Toto's Africa being played on East Coast FM..... (we had heard it yesterday as well).

"It's funny how some songs are chosen to represent the 80s... I'm sure they're playing it more now than they did back then".

And it was probably rarely played in the late 80s and throughout the 90s.

with so many 80s songs forgotten about during the 90s as cumbersome CDs was the main playout method, computer playout has made these songs very overplayed these days.

some songs just sound better on the radio. From the chart of August 1983 for example Come Dancing by the Kinks sounds much better than Walking in the rain by Modern Romance

all down to personal taste, but come dancing wouldnt be the kinks finest moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Ah ,I quite like "Come Dancing",especially if you know the rather sad story behind it.

Advertisement