Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

Lads, it's a Sunday night and you're asking someone to do extra homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

A place like this is more than just homework though. It's not something that you sit down with for a dedicated two hour block during your day and work through everything in that period. It needs like two minutes of work every hour, even if it's just looking at an inbox queue and choosing approve/reject (paraphrasing, again I don't claim to know how Boards' backend works)

It's not work, though. It's volunteering. Are they not volunteering hard enough.

• Administrators Posts: 14,292 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I apologised for missing a few posts, and I explained why and how this might have happened! I also (due to the feedback here and requests for updates) updated on the actions that have been taken this weekend.

Lack of personnel is something we've acknowledged, many times. Not many people want the job!

It needs like two minutes of work every hour,

If only that's all it took!! Posters on here want updates, explanations, onthread warnings, on post edits, replies to PMs, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,650 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe they are volunteering too hard.

Just because someone is working hard doesnt mean they are working as effectively as they can.

Very often extra effort gets put in to cover for systems gaps / failings, lack of efficient processes, lack of delegation. It is not sustainable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

It's a message board. It's unpaid. We're not talking about a possible Chernobyl here if posters don't get instant replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Why did you quote that line in reply to me?

It needs like two minutes of work every hour,

I never posted that so please make it clear that some other poster said it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

May I ask a question? Early I’m in my time here while I was settling in I was given a point or two for warnings - I’ve had 2-3 warnings in the last week, one removed and one just now for something I didn’t know wasn’t allowed (I will read the first post in threads again for sure).

If no points are given, are they just “advisory” warnings ? I would really hate to face a ban for a drip feed of a few single warnings that weren’t for anything of any seriousness.

As to the comment about moderators at the weekend - I see no reason why volunteers shouldn’t be allowed a break but perhaps some could be recruited that would prefer moderation at weekends ?

Makes no difference to any of the points made. Volunteer or no, it still comes down to making best use of effort of dozens of people. And just because people are volunteering and putting in effort doesnt mean they are automatically producing that.

I dont think asking the current mods to do more is sustainable in long run.

So some combo of one or all of the below needed:

More mods

Better co-ordination

Clearer rules

More efficient / streamline of processes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There is always someone leading the charge with this tactic and then others follow.

I get your point about dog whistling too.

It’s very evident in CA especially.

Post edited by anewme on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Reading what you posted you are another example of all that is wrong with the site.

You joined 5 months ago and have already had a site ban. You then go on to say "I’ve had 2-3 warnings in the last week"

Join the dots.

Warned:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Perhaps, and some people keep saying that.

But show me a better format for an actual, extended, discussion. Twitter won't cut it. Reddit won't cut it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,196 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Katie Taylor admires Mike Tyson, should she be cancelled and have no fans or followers

Not everyone who posts in threads about Trump for example are supportive of him the person but maybe some of his policies

What bloody policies?

The guy is bereft of policy.

And yet, he's a man who's been convicted of fraud and been declared a rapist by a judge. Into the bargain, he's an out and out liar.

If that's your guy, maybe it's time to tailor your support.

This is not a thread about Trump.

Aren't all politicians liars

I just think if you make a post about anyone who does something wrong then why are you automatically associated as a fan of them and pro what they did, I am not for or against Trump and same with Harris but does that make me a rapist womanising fangirl supporter

We talk about Boards as a community discussion so is everyone's views allowed once in line with charters, not all of us have the same opinions and we can voice our concerns etc.,

Warned: This is not a thread about Trump

Read the mod note.

And while you're at it read my comment again.

Warned: Backseat modding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭archfi

Well, I hope one bit of feedback yis take onboard - NEVER approach anyone on this thread to moderate.

Please.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

More Mods- Nobody wants the CA gig. New moderators are generally picked from the most active posters in a forum. None of the current most active CA posters are suitable candidates.

Better coordination- This was discussed in the last thread. There has never been and will never be a timetable or rota for volunteer mods to agree to.

Clearer rules- The type of things most people get warned for are uncivil posting, trolling, attacking the poster. The rules on this are pretty clear. People just ignore them.

More efficient/streamline of processes- Feedback here has overwhelmingly asked for more moderator time and effort. More moderator accountability. Warned posts to be edited with visible warnings. Basic, common sense rules to be listed and spelled out for people. On thread explanations for moderator actions taken. PM exchanges with posters. DRP process.

I would be massively in favour of streamlining the processes (within the bounds of what Vanilla allows). Anything that cuts down on the sheer amount of time and effort we spend moderating and dealing with posters who feel they shouldn't be warned.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

By better co-ordination I meant that there seems to be forums\subforums and threads falling between the cracks, noted by multiple posters on this thread. Or maybe there are flagged posts falling between the cracks. Are 100% of the flagged posts actually going into the queue and being seen, how would that even be spotted.
    As noted, there is no longer a confirmation notification appearing when posts are flagged.

I disagree about clearer rules also. Flaneur has posted the much clearer set of general rules which were in place.
    Also, this burying of thread specific mod warnings in post #1567 when that means nothing to users on mobiles joining it is not clear.

If the rules were so clear we would not have the inconsistencies seen in moderation of similar posts.
    I think there are grey areas in the space of where 'attacking the post' crosses the line into attacking the poster. But it should also be valid to reference a poster's stance expressed elsewhere on the forum when discussing similar issue.

The point of such visible moderator action on threads setting the tone is that this establishes a visible standard for posters and in theory leads to less need in the long run for moderators to intervene. Very little sign of visible moderator activity on a thread, slow responses to egregious posts creates a Wild West feel and it all kicks off. Then when a mod does arrive on the scene they have a mess to deal with.

Is the DRP process \ process for appealing thread bans clear and fit for purpose?
    I would note as GoldenGirl has flagged that if the DRP process is to be public, only the poster engaged in the DRP should be named… this practice of dragging in other posters posts and making them publicly visible, making accusations against those posts - where they cannot defend themselves seems an anomaly.
    I think that consultation on that process is perhaps best suited to being dealt with in its own thread, so that it could be given a proper focus.

If more mods cannot be sourced for Current Affairs which I presume is one the most active forums, then alternative options are needed… I'm just throwing ideas out there that may spark better ideas from others.
    (1) Streamlined processes for CA alone, that don't engage the full DRP process but a permanent or temporary CA forum ban is more likely. Temporary thread bans that cannot be appealed. Ideas in that space.
    (2) Shifting of some CA content into Politics forum, so the load is spread.
    (3) Tidying up of some of the CA and Covid threads, so that in longer run easier to moderate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Great to see visible moderation yesterday on the terrorist thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Clearer rules- The type of things most people get warned for are uncivil posting, trolling, attacking the poster. The rules on this are pretty clear. People just ignore them.

If people are ignoring the rules, it's because the mods are ignoring the rules.

But all the rules need updating. Some charters have been in place for over ten years.

No one knows what the point of modern boards is.

People talked about subs, and how we didn't mind our €50 a year as it helped the community and the costs towards servers.

Down the line, bring back subs and put CA/IMHO as one of the forums that's a subscriber benefit.

Anyway, I've said my piece (numerous times, probably too many times!) I enjoyed the crossover between IRL and weblife that boards.ie provided. I enjoyed modding 90% of the time, and I most definitely enjoyed the Santa Strike Force. I wish new and younger people could experience that real sense of strangers coming together.

Imagine.

There's literally new humans on this planet because two strangers met on this website.

There's people that didn't kill themselves because of this website.

There's kids out there who's lives were improved because of this website.

That's an awesome power.

(Now I'll unsub from the thread. Not much point engaging further til we hear from Owner/management.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Allowing people to put other people on ignore seems like a great idea to calm tensions within contentious threads.

But it has the effect of turning whole discussion forums into echo chambers.

And a lot of the discussion forums have turned into echo chambers because of this.

The people who have the arguments are usually the most interested, knowledgeable and passionate about the particular topic. (Although admittedly not always the case)

I would suggest that you can only put people on ignore for a particular thread (and maybe for a time period of a few weeks until both have calmed down), not the whole forum forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know you're unsubbing but I'll write this anyway. As a mod, enforcing the rules is pure drudgery at times. For example, Politics is very tightly modded and rightly so. Once there was a poster who kept referring to the Telegraph newspaper as the Torygraph. Amusing as I found it, I had to delete his posts and then proceed to issue sanctions as it kept happening.

I've seen people on this website defend the Third Reich, the Holocaust, genocide, Russia's invasion of Ukraine, propagate all sorts of insidious propaganda, and one person even accused me of desiring a leading role should the Holocaust happen again, about which nothing was done.

I'll take an echo chamber over that any day. I believe in engaging with narratives I disagree with very strongly but when it's the same toxic culture war drivel over and over again with the victimhood grievance attached, it's much better to ignore. I can confidently say that I've never been enlightened or informed by anyone who posts like that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

For stuff like you mentioned, banning and timeouts are more appropriate, but for stuff like

"xxx is a great golfer but also a bottlejob",

"no he is not, you are an idiot!!!"

Permanent ignores are not the answer.

Things are said in the heat of the moment.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Putting someone on ignore is usually a fairly high bar to jump - they have to have been a complete dick to you for a sustained amount of time to warrant it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mods should still be actively modding. The ignore list is not a substitute for this. All I'm saying is that there's only so much imported US culture war crap I can be bothered with before deciding to use the ignore feature. The recent incident in Galway is a perfect example. The very first response was straight in with the agenda.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You need to ask yourself how you can credibly moderate any thread concerned with migration, refugees and asylum seekers with a signature such as you routinely sign off. Or for that matter any thread with religious overtones or inferences. The quote above is a strong view and you are entitled to hold it. But it is surely incompatible with unbiased competent moderation. If you don't see the conflict of interests, that is very concerning for all posters on boards.

Warned: A signature promoting tolerance of others is not "very concerning for all posters on boards". Please do not take digs at our volunteer moderators. If you have a problem with a post, poster, or indeed signature, then report it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement