Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter mid size dog

• 17-08-2024 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

Any recommendations for a mid sized dog. It will be our first dog,we have a cat. I've help from my husband and 2 sons age 12 and 9. We are in an estate with large enclosed garden. Any recommendations? Preferably not too barky.

My hubby would like a bigger dog like a golden retriever, I'd prefer something mid sized. As I'll be cleaning up! 😀

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

Pay a visit to a local animal rescue center and there you will find your new fur baby and give it its forever home

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pauly58

If it's your first dog be very wary of so called rescues, a lot of dogs are there for a good reason, not all obviously. Start wit a puppy, you will bring it up & it's a clean slate. Over the last forty years we've found a common bred Springer Spaniel makes a lovely dog.

An awful lot of breeds have serious health problems, I'd love a Dobermann but too risky, Labs need hips, elbows & eyes tested. Just do your research first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's hard to beat a golden retriever to be honest, or a labrador. Goldens are maybe a bit more chilled out and quieter but both great dogs. Prone to hip and elbow problems like every larger breed but I've had 3 labs from same breeder and no problems.

Possibly a bit bigger than you'd like but look up YouTube videos about best family dogs they are either top or in top 2 or 3 of every single list.

Don't get a collie, I love them they're so clever but energy levels and exercise requirements are higher than any other breed.

A well bred springer is a good choice but they can be absolute lunatics as well. High energy.

Don't get a short faced dog like pug or french bulldog, health concerns with them are ridiculous they should be bred out of existence, they look more like aliens than dogs it's not fair on them. They're basically mutants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

"Don't get a rescue! Do get a springer pup!" That's pretty bizarre advice for someone getting their first dog!

You don't know what you'd get from a shelter so get an extremely high energy puppy! Really??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This.

Go to a reputable shelter and you'll be properly assessed and matched with a dog that suits your needs and lifestyle. It might take a couple of weeks as the rescue will want to introduce you to the dog slowly and make sure everyone - including the dog - is happy.

The reason rescues are so full of dogs is because of idiots rushing out and getting a dog that doesn't suit their lifestyle. Not because they're inherently problematic dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pauly58

If you read my post again you will see I suggested a common bred springer , not a working or field trial strain. In nearly 40 years of springers & being a professional dog trainer for 20 years, there is a world of difference between the two. The one we have at the moment is nowhere near extreme high energy. So many people comment about these things when they have no real knowledge or experience.

Advertisement