Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

1375376377378379381»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've noticed recently that a lot of campsites have started specifically forbidding EV charging from the electric points for the pitches

Aside from the obvious possibility of overloading circuits, charging 50-60kWh would probably result in the campsite losing money on that pitch since they're often only a few euros extra

I remember a while back EV owners were sometimes allowed to use outdoor sockets in hotels or holiday homes. I've noticed that's dried up as well

I guess as you say too much freeloading has put an end to it all

There's a YouTuber, Will Prowse, in the US who was using an F-150 to do exactly what you described, charge at a free local charger and then use that to top up his battery back home. I'm pretty sure he only did it once or twice as a demo, but the possibility still remains

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭fits

Funnily enough I haven’t been charged at all for the public charging we used in France. All that nuclear and solar - they must be giving it away. Two weeks of free fuel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Possibility wholly remains, plenty of free SuC Tesla's out there with nice big batteries that charge fast so you dont have to be there for hours, they were giving free SuC even up to last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

How did you "notice" a lot of campsites.

Is there a website with a filter for all campsites. Might give a general idea if how many have those facilities or block them.

When I Google all I mostly get back are campsites advertising EV chargers on site. Which I guess makes sense. With plugshare you can see all the local chargers in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume when home batteries become more common the electric suppliers might have to re think it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Just something I've observed when booking a few campsites recently

Pretty sure I saw it listed as a rule in Eurocamps

There's also been an increase the number of sites offering EV charging which is a positive

For example I'm pretty sure Roundwood campsite in Wicklow is installing a bunch of chargers for guests

I would say it's more common in the UK and France than Ireland unfortunately. Hopefully we catch up soon

EDIT: One hint for Eurocamps, you can filter for sites with EV chargers onsite. The same can be done for booking.com

Unfortunately the listings can be inaccurate at times so it's best to check a review site. Plugshare is a good one, there's also Zap Map in the UK and Chargemap in France

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,032 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Advertisement