Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit - it's not great is it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭French Toast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

r/Ireland looking for applications for Mods if anyone wants to apply 🤭

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/1e45fhk/mod_applications/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The sort of people who apply to become moderators are the sort of people who should never be made a moderator.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I posted comments on holiday destinations, nothing controversial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭ekkinak

I dunno, I think Reddit is fairly amazing.

Strangers from all over the world discussing any subject under the sun.

What the internet was made for really.

Yeh, there are head de balls, but there are head de balls EVERYWHERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

When there are 940k followers, and about 120k comments in a month, you're not exactly able to spot the ideal candidates. At least applications allow those who might be good fits bring themselves to the forefront to be assessed.

Better than having some sort of mod conclave where you only pick from within in a sort of Papal-esque voting ritual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Didn't read the whole thread but someone said in the first couple of pages: It's a total echo chamber, and there are some crazy opinions on it that get up voted.

I think it stems from the posters being in the younger age group on some subs, like you'll see a discussion on down syndrome and the overwhelming advice is to abort. Any relationship issue, the advice is just break up or divorce etc.

I still view it regularly but take any advice with a pinch of salt and I don't bother contributing to a thread if I have a dissenting opinion because it will just be downvoted which is just the echo chamber in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

There are fewer middle-aged, re-reg edgelords moaning about middle-aged men on Reddit, as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Says a middle aged something on boards about fewer middle aged something moaning something. 😉 😁

I think the internet in general has just become a big moanfest. We're all moaning about something or about each other these days, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Boards is awful for it! You could praise a moany posters post on here and they would argue with you about how you're wrong 😂

Some people take the internet and the opinions of others far too seriously.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭scottygee

I agree. And pretty much all Reddit moderators take themselves far too seriously.

Not too bad. Could be a pic from Sports & Social in my place. (Argh, am I one of 'them'?)

Seem relatively normal. I knew a lad who went to a boards.ie beers years back and said it was full of mutants, swamp donkeys, neckbeards and hellbeasts.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hmm, anonymous internet people posting pictures of other internet people to try to embarrass them is very uncool imo

I agree, however, people sometimes seem to forget what it means to post all their sh1t into the public domain. It means its literally public and this is just something you'll have to accept then.

Also, you're grand, it's not actually very embarrassing, just regular folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭gossamerfabric

If you do get up to 20 karma points and can begin to post you can just as easily lose those posting rights if you make a good point and deliver it well when it goes against the consensus. You will be down-voted in to oblivion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

<snip>

It's not necessarily that you go against consensus, but it's when your points are misplaced and generally attacking other users rather than rebutting their points is when you tend to draw the ire of the community and enter a spiralling downvote funnel.

Funnily enough, if any of your earlier comments in that tree had been reported or flagged much earlier, you probably could've been saved the karma loss by the back-and-forth argument getting shut down earlier 🤷

Warned: Do not attempt to bring a poster's username from another site here. You may be incorrectly identifying someone. Attempting to identify anyone on this site is called doxxing and results in a permanent siteban.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Redacted Circular

R/ireland is soul destroying. Here's what you can expect on a typical day:

*Fatboys whinging because their favorite goyslop went up by 10 cent

*weed addicts hijacking threads on violent crime to make themselves into the real victims

*constant wailing about Palestine/housing/cost of living

Honestly makes Boards seem like a beacon of hope and sanity.

There's another one called /casualireland that is much better. Less of the student union politics, terrible Father Ted and Simpsons memes, and that air of neckbeardy righteousness so prevalent in /ireland.

Reformed character.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Reddit is a great site. If you don’t like r/Ireland there are a few more casual Ireland subreddits that might be more to your taste.

The way I see it

Boards - Oldies

/r/Ireland - Younger folk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Terrible for conversation but amazing for finding things out and getting tips on just about anything.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

The few times I have used Reddit, I found it to be a bit 'busy' looking, it seems to suffer from information overload. Which creates a lot of choice scattered around, so there is a lot of having to scroll through.

I'm sure it is grand if one can get used to that sort of digital information environment, for me personally, it is a big turn off. Would rather go to dedicated forums/websites for any information on a given subject, more focused, and less 'noise' I'd have to wade through.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Find it fairly useless for hobby stuff but its handy for work stuff like keeping up with release notes on software and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭yagan

r/Ireland also has a lot of yanks and far right wantobes that brigade every national sub that uses English.

At least Broads isn't as plagued, although it does have problems with the same usual suspects that constantly get a pass from the site owners. (I know, I'll get thread banned for this).

Most of the crap is downvoted and auto collapses though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Doing free work for a multinational website? No thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement