Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe it's time to streamline the entire process? It's a big ask to expect mods to timetable a portion of their weekend, nevermind a portion of every hour for moderation.

Update charters, no back and forth if a poster gets a warning, siteban for abusive PM. If we all had to just take it on the chin it might change how some posters engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Completely agree with that - can that be brought in for people who think they are the height of wit to call Gript, "Grift" like they invented it - or the poster who constantly refers to the Daily "Heil" without any sense of the paper's history ? Or worse - with it.

I've plenty of people on ignore because they get on my last nerve and tbh it's about 70-30 in favour of those I disagree with, so it's not left with an echo chamber. I enjoy debating posts with people who disagree - if not, I'd start a blog (if they're a thing still ?)

But setting out a series of arguments to be met with nothing more than "so where is your proof for that ?" - for an opinion ?? Or worse - pages of material cut and pasted from elsewhere and a snide comment along the lines of "see how you're wrong haha".

This is not debate.

• Administrators Posts: 14,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Funny enough I've warned a lot of posters this weekend based on feedback on this thread. Few of them are "taking it on the chin". Seems they do want a clamp down on disruptive posting…

… but only of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Why not? What do people not understand? You can post anti-immigration posts, however odious, but unless your post contravenes the site/forum rules you cannot be “sanctioned”.

If, indeed, you do get a warning it will be because of how you posted. A mod can be pro or anti any topic but the rules are the rules. If you’re getting warned it’s on you and you need to look at your own posting “style” and amend it accordingly.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a grubby attempt to have someone they disagree with censored. Nothing more to it that that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Here's some radical feedback:

Why don't the mods and admins give all of us here some feedback about our own posts and engagement with the moderation process?

There seems to be a lack of self-awareness and blatant calling for double standards to be applied.

Go on, let rip at us. 😁

And this thread is full of it. 🤷‍♀️

I'd be sitebanned if I said what I actually want to say 😉

🤣🤣

Feedback isn't very effective when it's one sided, we're all saying what's we think is wrong, so we should be prepared to have a mirror held up to us.

If we all think we're right, we shouldn't worry about what we'll hear.

I've posted a few times about where I think a lot of the issues are and I quickly get turned on!

To keep it simply (and not risk a siteban) this is a forum where the minimum membership age is supposed to be 16. Now, I don't believe there are that many 16 year olds on here. So if we assume that the members of this site are pretty much exclusively adults, then expecting moderators to babysit and referee childish spats and arguments and name calling and intolerance and abuse and blaming the MODERATORS because other people are posting these posts is ridiculous. I have a son. As a toddler he used to blame me if he did something wrong. He once spilled something and looked at me and told me it was my fault because I didn't tell him to be careful. HE WAS 3 at the time!! (I laughed and told him he was responsible for his own actions!)

Posters here trying to blame the moderators for the behaviour of other adults remind me of my 3 year old toddler - although he grew out of it.

I mentioned earlier receiving an abusive PM after asking (not warning) two posters to stop bickering. I was told that maybe we should post a notice to let people know sending abusive PMs isn't allowed (?!?) Seriously?? That needs to be spelled out to adults? Teenagers would know that sending abuse online is not very clever.

The types of posters who will send abuse, troll, bait, etc will do it if there's a big moving flashing banner across the top of the site asking them not to. Because that's just who they are. I think any adult on here who can keep a straight face while also claiming that basic human manners and rules of decent interaction needs to be explicitly spelled out to adult men and women are themselves trolling!

There is a very good reason that the CA forum is short on moderators. None of the sensible people want to touch it. Which leaves the regulars and there is nobody from that list who could handle the role. You need to be level headed, you need to be calm, you need to be able to hold your own against posters who will do all sorts of mental gymnastics to try twist what they said, or what you said, or what someone else said to prove how everyone else is wrong and they're misunderstood. You need to have a thick skin, and enough of a loyalty to this site (a site that so many here seem to find so much fault with, dislike so much, find nothing positive to say about it but yet can't stay away!) to offer your free time to referee puerile arguments from adults who really should know better and just cop on.

That's what I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What's the difference to you posting grift every time you are posting in the gript thread.

If you think that poster deserved to be sanctioned then surely you agree that you should be sanctioned also.

I bet everyone is thinking "Yeah, that doesn't apply to me, I don't do that."

😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Absolutely and I am vocal about moderation being fair, and complaining about others and I'm sure my posting needs to be actioned at times.

Current Affairs has gone to a point where moderation is so non existent that posting standards have dropped.

That is of course not the fault of the Mods.

Whether people are actioned or not, their are a handful of posters who are immune to getting banned.

It was refreshing to see in thread warnings yesterday, that would resolve a lot of people complaining that others are not getting warnings.

How feasible that is long term I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,347 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I took a pasting in terms of warnings over the weekend, and on reflection it was deserved. As usual it was for back and forth with people I find objectionable, I've taken stock and as this will not be tolerated I've now got 110 users on my ignore list, no point in replying to people who are trolling and causing me hassle.

The problem being that so much claptrap has been allowed for so long that as you said, standards have nosedived and we all have to take responsibility for that individually.

I'm concerned by the continued calls from some for the CA forum to become a type of echo chamber. I think if we've reached that point it's probably better to close discussion of current affairs entirely rather than end up beholden to one group of users. That said a lot of threads are now reems of greyed out posts, but as I never come out the better of interacting with these people it's probably the best approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

... they made me do it sir !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

And yet it is this exact strict set of criteria you have for the promotion-from-within which is why there are so few moderators available. You really need to loosen the standards a bit — plus you'll never know what someone is actually like as a moderator if they are never given the opportunity to see what it's like from the other side.

Like on Reddit we've taken in multiple new mods several times over the last year. The vast majority of them can't handle it once they see what is actually shown in the backend that never makes it to the frontend. But at least they were given a shot to see whether it suited them.

If we held the same standards of potential new mods there as you guys do here, there probably wouldn't even be any Reddit mods.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ACD doesn't mod CA/IMHO, they are talking about the politics forum. What's unacceptable in the politics forum is often acceptable in CA/IMHO. That sort of difference is literally why CA/IMHO exists in the first place to my knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭archfi

You need to be level headed, you need to be calm, you need to be able to hold your own against posters who will do all sorts of mental gymnastics to try twist what they said, or what you said, or what someone else said to prove how everyone else is wrong and they're misunderstood.

I can imagine which is why you (boards) should seriously consider 24/36/48/72 etc hour bans with zero death-by-PM nonsense followed by 1/2/3/4 etc week bans with maybe the line for appeal drawn at 2week or maybe 4 week ban or even longer.

Make appeal-PMing when none are allowed a further ban extension. Make sure that is explicitly clear on the site.

Maybe test it with CA only.

I don't know whether you can filter PMs, probably not but at least I think that would cut down on mod time being wasted with endless back and forths via PM

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I use the ignore list very infrequently.

I do check it every so often and release some from my own personal gulag.

It's only really irritating posters (to me, at a point in time) get the list. Especially ones I'm itching to reply to but stop myself from doing so.

I'd agree if there was some way to not be able to click on the greyed out bit that'd be great but I doubt it in Vanilla hell.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

°°°°°

A good few pages back I suggested the escalation of warnings and bans.

I've contributed something to the feedback here. Have you got any suggestions to improve things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

I made my observations - but here's another one - take responsibility for your own behaviors.

• Administrators Posts: 54,021 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We don't have any strict criteria for our mods, there's no defined list of things that a potential mod must display or not display. We don't require potential mods to have clean records, we don't require them to hold any particular views, we don't require them to be totally impartial on the subject matter (which is pretty much impossible). Every single potential mod is judged on merit.

There has to be a minimum standard as we (and users) have seen plenty of times in the past what happens when the wrong person gets made a mod. We don't always get it right.

The list of criteria that Big Bag of Chips laid out is a fairly low bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

110 posters on ignore?

A pasting of warnings (this weekend alone)?

Fair play for saying it, but if you have that many posters on ignore, something else must be up here.

Maybe the old chestnut, its not you, its me applies here!

°°°°°

When all that comes from replying to people is childish waffle and warnings or bans and there is zero tolerance being implemented, why would I not put people on ignore?

For context, I made a comment about how and why people jump to conclusions when bad news stories break, I was quoted by someone taking what I said way out of context, I replied saying they misinterpreted what I said and they continued talking nonsense over and over and I kept replying like an eejit. I ended up getting a greater punishment imposed on me, even though that person was being an ass most likely on purpose. Now I'm ignoring them because why would anyone want to engage with that type of thing?

Which of these standards do you suggest we loosen? Bearing in mind we are talking about moderating the most contentious area of the site. Also bear in mind, posters here are adamant they do not want Boards.ie turning into Reddit.

You need to be level headed,

you need to be calm,

you need to be able to hold your own against posters who will do all sorts of mental gymnastics to try twist what they said, or what you said, or what someone else said to prove how everyone else is wrong and they're misunderstood.

You need to have a thick skin,

and enough of a loyalty to this site (a site that so many here seem to find so much fault with, dislike so much, find nothing positive to say about it but yet can't stay away!) to offer your free time to referee puerile arguments from adults who really should know better

Something like this would be my preference. I suggested it earlier in the thread. As you said, maybe just in CA for the moment. Other areas aren't quite as troublesome. Warnings could come with short sharp bans, building up to lengthier ones. It is clear to everyone that poster behaviour in CA/IMHO is a huge problem, the huge problem, on the site.

Tougher warnings and bans in there and no DRP should clean the place up fairly quickly. People will either: get banned, stay away if they don't like the rules, or clean their act up.

I'm not seeing any downside!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Larry Bee

Who is needed to implement such a change? Can the mods/admins do it or does it need to be sanctioned by the management?

Good to hear.

Also, asking mods from elsewhere on the site to help in CA with the warnings/quick bans which would have the horror prospect of posters PMing non-stop and having to reply about the warnings/bans just not a thing. I'd imagine that would relieve the pressure immensely.

Just need to give the extra 'part-time' CA mods a list of what the ban/warning criteria are and monitor them.

I've seen the in-post warnings employed in a thread or two on CA over the past few days and on this thread and it appears to be working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Of course that is debate! in a debate you must prove your point, back it up with actual facts. If you just post your opinion, that's not debate, and more then likely on here, it's just an argument.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

A glossary of stock argument starting phrases etc to stop people popping into threads to just to stir the pot.

We need to stop with calling each other fascists or lefties etc, any ad homenim stuff needs to be stopped at source and keep the discussion to the topic alone..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement