Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Ireland...

• 19-08-2024 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32

Hi, I've been thinking about moving to Ireland for a little while now, am after some recommendations of where though. I grew up in London but would like to live somewhere I could have a few acres, that has low crime, schools and amenities not stupidly far away, anyone have any suggestions?

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Have you been over here before? If you have do you have any favourite parts of Ireland? What sort of money are you looking at spending? What age are your kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 OHCAC

Yes, used to go 3 or 4 times a year but only ever back to Dublin and no way I'm getting 10 acres in Dublin with the money I have!

Kids range from 4 to 14, so would need primary and secondary not too far away.

Top end of budget would be around €750,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

Places in Connaught will get you what you need for that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no clue on pricing, but with that budget, id say you d be fairly rural, which means you ll be doing a lot of driving, as public transport is effectively non existent, especially in rural ireland, noting average house prices in serviced towns and cities in ireland are heading towards 500k, so 750k…..

be aware, this thread is in the wrong part of the forum, so expect a lot of p1ss taking

best of luck with the search, be interesting to see what pops up here, i could be surprised myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Danny healy ray

all roads lead to south kerry ..

• Advertisement

Yeah, if you want somewhere with a few acres it'll be rural and there will be a lot of driving involved, especially if the kids are split across primary and secondary schools. Leitrim/Roscommon might be good areas for you to start your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Just my opinion but you need to give your head a wobble.

Moved here in 2001 and lived to regret it.

So expensive , eg. health service is poor unless you set aside 7 / 8k per year for private health care insurance based on a family of 5. Taxation is near robbery , payed, prsi use, vat , vrt etc etc.

Public services are crap despite paying through the nose , LPT etc.

Terrible climate.

You will never be accepted fully by local community , always considered a blow in.

I'm not sure if you are British, but in my opinion there is still an ugly anti British sentiment running through Irish society. People will laugh it off as banter but it does exist.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Based on those aspirations, my suggestion is not Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have you considered NI?

Since it's still uk, you might find yourself with less issues?

Plus, the place seems to be coming down with English accents these days. And not just tourists. Seems to be quite a few British living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

I moved over to Ireland in 2017, never regretted the decision.

I'd recommend somewhere in Connaught. Sligo, Leitrim, or Mayo especially. Roscommon is nice, but a bit far from thr coast. Galway is nice, just I think it is the most expensive county in the region.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You wont get a house and 10 acres for 750k.

I know someone selling a 4 bedroom house on half an acre in the west and the asking price is 550k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

As a general rule of thumb any town with at least a Lidl and an Aldi will have schools. Bonus points if there's a primary care centre and it's on a bus/rail route to a larger town/city.

If a town has just a Supervalu then it's probably too small.

There's lots of towns that fit that basic criteria and very often you'll find houses with good sized gardens around the town or in its hinterland. Try to avoid car dependency as you'll end up being your kids taxi. Finding houses that don't need some work may be more difficult but you could get lucky.

If you don't mind being your kids taxi and go rural watch out for a potential property being surrounded by agri land where slurry spreading is common.

If you've never lived rural before you might find the darkness of winter oppressive. If you go rural it can be hard to build a social life if you or the kids aren't into GAA or golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

@OHCAC

What do you plan to do with the few acres?

In rural parts, a half acre or acre site is mostly just the person's garden.

Are you planning to keep animals? Plant food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Escapees

If you have that much money to spend, then it makes better sense to spend a little on a recci trip over here to judge for yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think getting land with a house is the tricky bit as newer houses will be parceled off into 0.5 to 1 acre sites.

15.5 acres with a derelict house 130k

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-cuilmore-gurteen-co-sligo/5403768

8acres with a site for 95k

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-brickeen-castlebaldwin-co-sligo/4697963

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My recommendation is Wicklow, Kildare, or Meath. Countryside living but within reach of Dublin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks, I was thinking maybe West Cork/Kerry due to the scenery but have no idea what life's like out that way in terms of crime rate, stuff to do, schools, employment etc.

Also, was wondering how the locals would view us, whether we'd have issues etc. I'm Irish but was brought up in London so have a mainly English accent, my wife is English and obviously the kids all have English accents. I've family in Dublin who say they get funny looks and get treated differently when down in Cork, would having English accents be a major issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Im sure the the older children are going to be delighted to move from London to rural Ireland.

Clare, its lovely and it's near a big city, lots of alternative life style people there already, you wouldn't get costal Clare for that money but you would possible get somewhere more inland.

Thanks, have heard different stories form people I know who've moved. Some say it's been great others like you day they're viewed/treated very differently due to coming from England. Suppose it depends where you go and how you act to some extent. I know Ireland is more expensive in some regards, and can deal with that up to a point if it ticked the other boxes. I'm sick of England though and need to move somewhere, was hoping Ireland would be the place!

• Advertisement

No offensive to anyone here from the North but no **** chance. I'm Irish with an English accent, I'd be equally targeting whether on the Falls or the Shankill, I'm looking for a nice quiet life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

e750,000 not bringing much from London.Have you taken your current and moving expenses out of that,done your own currency conversion? Could it be £639-640,000 for e750,000? There is latent resentment around West Cork/Kerry towards English people or returned emigrants.English accents would only increase it.One well known criminal case in Cork a few years ago would give an example of resentment existing.Burglary attacks should be considered if neighbours are any distance away(out of earshot distance),applies all over Ireland but the easier accesss to motorways the more likely.

#17 said Wicklow.With e750,000 it could be manageable in Wicklow with a few acres but rural location.But the house would probably need modernisation/extending.

I've thought about Galway, some beautiful areas there, does seem a little more "progressive" or left leaning but suppose as long as I can go about my business what others believe in is up to them. Thanks. Did you move to Ireland from the UK, and if so have you had any issues because of it?

I've seen plenty of places, and even 5 acres or so would be grand. I just don't know the areas, suppose I'll have to go visit some of these places and find out for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭LilacNails

What is it that makes u sick of England? There fairly similar countries in terms of climate, taxes, immigrants, social housing etc. Crime rates are fairly high in alot of places.

Ireland is a great country but it is being ruined by our government.

Think it'd get used to the rural nights soon enough, but things life slurry spreading and other aspects of rural life I haven't the first clue about.

I appreciate public transport will be next to non existent, kids will have to get themselves a licence ASAP!

A few years ago a young English guy, who was a regular visitor to a rural area when his ancestors were from, was beaten to death and it was believed his English accent has something to do with it.

As long as you don't express any nivea or romantic notions about Ireland to the locals you'll be grand.

Ireland is a modern European and has the same issues as everywhere else.

What does sick of England mean?

Why would it be different here,?

Muck in really.

You're going to meet people from nearly everywhere if you move to Cork. Lots of Spanish seem to spend a year here as part of their secondary education. An English accent in school is nothing special these days.

Another thing to consider is forgoing having a massive garden if you can have a decent house that is surrounded by lots of nice greenery trails. Plenty of them in Cork.

Yeah, I fancy growing my own food, keeping some animals (chicken, a couple sheep etc) nothing major just enough to feed my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

I know but would be good to get some ideas or where's nice and where to avoid before I spend it all on a shitload of holidays!

Something like that could be perfect, thanks a lot.

Might be the way to go, best of both worlds.

My wife moved from London to Ireland back in 2001 and has had no problems. She has more friends here now then n I do! We're not down the country though.

When I look at those C4 shows about moving to France it looks nice. Better value than moving to Ireland and much better weather.

You'll never have a problem as long as you don't upset the neighbours.

I'm in clare and there's a huge diversity of people around me, English, German, Dutch, American, Australian and many more and they seem to be happy with their lot. Crime is pretty much non existent where I am, not saying it doesn't happen but we're lucky to live where we are and we never have too much trouble even with the large influx of refugees and asylum seekers into the local hotels

Integration is key, introduce yourself to the neighbours, Ireland is a very welcoming place if you put in the leg work, join the local Facebook/WhatsApp/social media groups and get to know the locals. Use local services and get local tradesmen to do your work and you'll be known everywhere you go in a short space of time

Ignore the people saying it's not suitable, it'll be what you make of it, people who aren't happy in one place are very often not happy anywhere and never make an effort to get to know the area or the local people.

The downside which I've seen over the years is city people may find the transition from city to rural life hard enough if you're used to having cinemas, shopping, theatres, sports etc close by, we have these but you'll have to travel for them

Good luck with your search, I hope it goes well for you

• Advertisement

I know of an English man arrested in limerick who was arrested and bound to the peace for writing Muslims out on the local chipper.

Without a link to the incident you cited how do we know the motivation behind the death?

Theres an English lad with a YouTube channel with zero connection to Ireland who moved somewhere in West Cork to do what you described.

He was very idealistic so he had good descriptions of stuff that surprised him but we wouldn't even think about mentioning.

One thing I think he repeated was how long winter will feel if you've never lived rural before.

London is a hole. Ridiculous number of stabbings and other crime. Filthy streets. Very expensive. Honestly can't think of much good to say about it.

Don't suppose you know the name of his channel? Might be worth a look.

A Muslim guy decapitated a gay man and seriously injured another in Sligo very recently, is it now an anti gay hell hole where Muslims cut the head off homosexuals. Overall there is very little racism in Ireland but the media would have you believe otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I moved over to Connaught from London back in 2003 with 3 young daughters and was the best thing I ever did. We had the benefit of wifes family being originally from the area and we had visited regularly over previous summers. Happy to chat via PM if tyou wish to ask anything

Yes, I did hear of that, as well as the priest being stabbed in Galway the other day. See this is the type of thing I want to get away from. I know it can happen anywhere, it's just the number of occurrences that make a difference.

Thanks, I'll be taking you up on that offer.

I'll have a look later and post it if I find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just going to say Loughrea in Galway is actually quite nice. Lots of schools to choose from the town has all. Mind nothing really in the evenings to do with kids as most places everything bar the pub closes which is very annoying.. The weather is awful also, very windy and wet :)… To be honest Id go abroad rather than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone saying you won't get a decent house plus that kind of acreage for 750k is talking nonsense tbh - here's a house in Meath for 100k below your budget with 8.5 acres and you'd probably get something better or for less as you move further away from Dublin:

Angsana, Isaacstown, Rathmolyon, Co. Meath, A83XE04 is for sale on Daft.ie

One in Westmeath with 14 acres for ~600k:

Moortown, Fore, Co. Westmeath, N91CA32 is for sale on Daft.ie

Sligo, 700k although the 6 acres is mostly woodland:

Lorien, Rosses Lower, Rosses Point, Co. Sligo, F91V8Y6 is for sale on Daft.ie

Mayo, 725k with 1.2 acres and sounds like an option to buy some more:

Drumsheel Lower, Cong, Cong, Co. Mayo, F31F951 is for sale on Daft.ie

As regards "low crime", most places in Ireland have low crime rates and generally speaking if it's a rural area, that will apply so you should have no worries there.

Schools outside the big cities will generally have no waiting lists or anything like that so again, should be fine. Most towns over 6-7k would have at least one secondary school I'd say.

If you have a list of other things you'd like to have in a place, it would help narrow down the search area. You mention you were born in Ireland so it might make sense to go somewhere close enough to there so you'd have some sort of a connection with the area

Of course not, Ireland is a very safe country in general it's just an observation that those who come here with romantic notions tend not to get on as well.

Rural Ireland is not some sort of pastoral idil untouched by modernity

Nice one, some beautiful houses you've included there, never thought about Westmeath to be honest always thought more about Cork and Kerry but it'd be worth my while lookingat different areas.

My family are all in Dublin and in areas that I wouldn't get what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

All ill say is if you want a few acres you'll most likely be beside land being farmed.

So for your own sake don't be one of these that think it's acceptable to ring the Gardai cause you don't like the smell of slurry in the field beside you, making noise complaints because there's cows and calfs roaring at each other or walking out into a field to try and stop lads baling and wrapping in the summer after 8/9pm

We had a couple of houses bought where this nonsense started one a UK couple, another US.

Let's just say the local Gardai on getting calls had to sit down and have a chat with the homeowner's that this wasn't central London/New York. The same people sold up after constantly moaning that the community was "cold and unwelcoming"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

had my mum giving out that they were baling silage at midnight several years ago. had to tell that's the way it is. that machinery is going 24 hours a day when the weather's right. n

• Advertisement
Advertisement