Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locating inverters on external wall: pros/cons

• 15-08-2024 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

This seems to be the only option for me, according to companies who have visited. They are reluctant to install in attic, and no obvious space internally. I’m not envisaging batteries but most companies want to install hybrid inverter rather than string inverter.
    The inverters are IP65 rated so they seem comfortable with that. But it’s at our seating area, south facing.

Pros: seems safer than inside, easy access for maintenance

Cons: visual eyesore, could be tampered with, and most importantly, might be damaged by the elements over time and will get direct sunlight in summer.

I asked about relocating it to other quiet north facing sheltered side of house, but they focusing on distance to the fuse box (consumer unit).

Any/ all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Reluctant does not mean they will not do it, I've mine in the attic years, no issue and there is no maintenance required since it was turned on in 2020, there is no ongoing maintenance of an inverter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

If it was me, I would avoid placing it near your seating area.

My Solis inverter has a noticeable hum off it when it is in full production.

Sounds something like this (a bit quieter but still noticeable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭DC999

Mines outside 2 years and no issues. I got them to place it high so can’t be tampered with. Like 8+ foot high type thing. And I put some tape over the LEDs so they were less obvious. You’d spot them at night easily when the LEDs are flashing. It doesn’t look great, but there’s a car charger below it and a gas meter box below it. So…..

Mine is south facing with no fans (passive cooling oly) and it’s never gotten too hot (can see temp stats in the software). I expect there is more chance of it cooling with wind outside than cooking in an attic with basically no ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gildan

If the inverter and/or battery is rated IP65 and IP66 you should have no problems with situating them outside weather-wise. It'd be better to have them behind a fence or gate but seriously if someone tries to steal one or meddle with it somehow you're likely to find them fried in the morning. Some inverters (like Sigen) have insulation and battery warmers within the casings so efficiency has improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Are people inclined to steal inverters off houses? Surely they're not worth too much on the second-hand market to warrant the risk

My inverter would definitely go outside. I was planning on building an enclosure using some insulated corrugated roof sheeting.

I see the UK legislate against having an inverter in the attic, I presume they're concerned there are no fire alarms in attics.

Post edited by Padre_Pio on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be shocking if they did…

/gets coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I suppose it depends on the current trends 😁

Advertisement