Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The estimates I had seen but the number of arrivals this year at approx 20k.

But even at 30k, we'd be talking somewhere in the region of 170k arrivals over 20 years.

That would equate to about 3% of the current population. This 3%, according to AGS, are no more likely to be involved in crime, and according to the ESRI, have strong participation rates in the workforce.

Yet we see them blamed for everything from the housing crisis to soggy football pitches.

It just doesn't add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

" 6,740 asylum seekers are staying in these centres. However, another 23,174 people, including 6,111 children, live in 256 ‘emergency accommodation centres"

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/08/19/cockroach-infestations-dead-rats-and-aggressive-behaviour-flagged-in-reports-on-asylum-accommodation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Sorry, I wasnt suggesting asylum seekers were more likley to commit crime.

My point was solely focused on the numbers arriving and that the govt had revised their projection to 25k to 30k this year for new arrivals, vs the 20k I think they were expecting at the beginning of the year.

The weekly peak at 600 in May doesnt appear to have been maintained.

30k per year would take less than 6 years to get to 170k though, no?

No problem, I didn't mean to suggest you were one of those posters trying to link IPAs with criminality.

The figure of 170k is based on how many arrived here in the last twenty years.

I believe that figure is currently 140k, so another 30k would be 170k.

It might be that we see numbers increase, or stay as they are for a while, or they might drop off as they did previously.

The point remains that currently IPAs represent a very small part of the population, yet we see them wrongly blamed for all sorts of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

It's funny how the behaviour of these young middle eastern and Pakistani men is EXACTLY what you would expect it to be and completely predictable, perfectly living up to their stereotype. Like, couldn't they at least try to surprise us and give their woke cheerleaders something to point to?

A separate report from February warned of “physical altercations” between residents who had “extremely poor attitudes” towards staff and “a total disregard to rules”.

One report reveals two residents were arrested by gardaí in February after an altercation broke out between a Somali resident and two Georgian residents, two of whom became “extremely aggressive”.

One fire safety report noted that a male resident collapsed and was “dragged” from his room in late May after a fire broke out. Staff found the man was “highly intoxicated” and had been lighting a cigarette when it fell and set fire to his room. 

In another case, gardaí were called after a hotel fire alarm went off and a “cloud of smoke” emerged from a room where young male residents, aged 18 to 19, had been “smoking illegal substances”.

Numerous reports reference residents smoking in their rooms, with some tampering with smoke detection devices.

In some cases, reports were made of “suspected marijuana” and “illegal substances” being smoked in centres, while one noted a “shisha pipe” in an apartment.

Another noted an “airsoft gun” – a replica firearm used recreationally for mock war games – was confiscated from a resident during a fire safety inspection.

• Advertisement

The evidence from Germany and Finland is that asylum seekers are more likely than the native population to commit crime.

What are you apologizing for?

There were some reports shared earlier in the thread showing historically higher rates of suspected involvement in certain types of crime by IPAs in Germany anyway, I don't recall anything from Finland. One of those reports at least was quite clear that it's results were in no way suitable for making broader conclusions.

I'm not aware of anything at all suggesting 'IPAs are more likely than the native population to commit crime', and I think AGS have been quite clear on that in Ireland.

Shocking stuff indeed.

I'm sure if there were young Irish people aged 18-19 in a residential center, not allowed to work, there'd be no fights, drunkenness or suspected cannabis smoking.

These attempts to portray 'young middle eastern and Pakistani men' as deviant are quite pathetic. Even more so considering the report shared doesn't mention anyone at all from these regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

A country with a housing crisis

Crap healthcare

A myriad of other social issues

Here you go:

https://stat.fi/til/rpk/2018/13/rpk_2018_13_2019-05-16_tie_001_en.html

Iraqi men 3.7 times more likely to be involved in offenses against life and health than Finnish men.

Iraqi men 12.8 times more likely to be suspects in sexual assault than Finnish men

Somali men 4 times more likely to be involved in theft than Finnish men

The sexual assault one really stands out, doesn't it MegamanBoo?

• Advertisement

I agree, we've little choice but to follow the EU approach in these matters.

While I don't agree myself with the current migration pact I do think it's a step towards rejecting the existing failed hard-border approaches.

Overall though I wouldn't consider any of this a 'crushing reality'. EU membership has been of great benefit to Ireland and at least we've been spared the madness of some of the solo run efforts, UK's 'stop the boats' madness or Sweden's mandatory spying on friends and neighbors coming to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Also Sweden and it's gang issues. Resulting in them now paying them to leave and joining up with other nordic countries to protect themselves against the problems that they imported. But sure the Swedes love it and everybody is getting along well!

We are so sound here that putting thousands of men into tents/places with no abilty to support them can only result in everything going great. Plus we get to feel good for saving the world!

Yep. In fact "Swedish" men have a crime rate about twice that of Finnish men, which was puzzling but then I realiszed it's broken down by nationality, not ethnicity. So it's highly unlikely to be ethnic Swedes, it's likely to be asylum / migrants to Sweden who subsequently got Swedish nationality, then moved to Finland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,497 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Don't worry more tents incoming.

All the tents left over from Electric Picnic will find themselves in Grand Canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Not a crushing reality for me. But to those who shout and scream at Irish politicians as if they can do anything substantial about it , it must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭twinytwo

What hard boarder approach? You keep going on about this supposed hard border approach - there isn't one. With the exception of Poland and arguably the cities of Ceuta and Melilla anyone can just walk into any EU country and claim asylum.

None of it particularly stands out to be honest.

Cherry picking statistics like that tell very little without context.

How much are Iraqi men represented in demographic groups more likely to commit sexual offences? Are people living in accommodation centers more likely to be reported than domestic abusers? What constitutes a sexual offence? (in some countries catcalling is classified as a sexual offense, while I think it something that shouldn't be tolerated, I wouldn't categorize it in the same terms as sexual assault, rape etc)

One of these reports claimed IPAs were far more highly involved in 'fraud'. It sounds shocking until it emerged that 'fraud' in this case included public travel fare-dodging and the possibility that IPAs, like any newcomer might, simply didn't understand the payment system.

Did you seriously just call Iraqi men having a sexual assault rate 12.8 times that of native men "cherrypicking" and then pretend the issue is how you define sexual assault? Have you some reason to think Statistics Finland define sexual assault incorrectly?

Cherrypicking is cherrypicking regardless of the crime or nationalities involved.

There's decades of studies on criminality from all sorts of perspectives. I can't think of any serious approach that would simply look at raw categorical figures like that and think job done, no more to say.

As for sexual assault figures, the report clearly looks more broadly at sexual offences. I'll assume you innocently misreported than Iraqi men are more likely to commit sexual assault and leave it to yourself to acknowledge your error. You also forgot to mention this qualifier from the report.

This only concerns suspected offences, which the police have moved to consideration of charges. This does not necessarily result in a charge or judgement. An offence committed by a casual acquaintance or a stranger is easier to report to the police than, for example, an offence committed by one’s spouse.

Comparing these type of figures is notoriously difficult across countries, regardless of whether it's Finland or not.

https://bra.se/bra-in-english/home/news-from-bra/archive/news/2020-09-30-difficult-to-compare-rape-statistics-in-european-countries.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Yvonne007

I'm not quite sure that "Ah sure it's only a suspected sexual offense thats almost 13 times more disproportionate than that of native citizens, not REAL sexual offense" is the hill I would choose to die on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭DaithiMa

"IPAs, like any newcomer might, simply didn't understand the payment system."

Ah come on now, most IPAs travel halfway across the world, usually through multiple European countries, and you are suggesting they don't understand how to pay to get on a bus or train? You are surely having a laugh with this argument.

That's just one factor though.

A serious look at something like this would also consider demographic overrepresentations, bias in reporting, and how these categories are defined.

I've had a quick look at Finland's definition of sexual offences and it does seem to include harassment and offences where no physical contact took place.

https://oikeusministerio.fi/en/sexualoffenceslaw

I'm not for a minute defending catcalling or verbal harassment, I find it abhorrent but I do think it's quite likely that people from different cultural backgrounds might be overrepresented.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Are you suggesting that the people from a different cultural background, simply weren't used to not being sexually abusive?

What other reason would there be for a 13x over representation?

I don't think it unreasonable that people in a foreign country might not understand a train payment system. Especially if they don't speak the language.

I reckon I'm guilty as charged of this particular type of 'fraud' on more than one occasion.

I'm saying that it's quite possible that people from other cultural backgrounds might be far more likely to be guilty of verbal harassment which would skew their representation in the overall category.

Then there's the other factors such as demographic overrepresentation, bias in reporting etc.

This is an old report but I think quite interesting as it shows Irish people as twice as likely to commit violent crime than people from other part of the world (including a middle eastern country), and Irish people as one of the most violent nationalities in the world.

https://www.aic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-05/tandi117.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭batman_oh

This also happened

Norway Offers Migrants a Lesson in How to Treat Women - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

But sure we are only getting all the good ones anyway, scamming our joke of an asylum process and then being allowed to stay because we can't be bothered dealing with anything.

So you accept the fact that the mass importing of people from other cultural backgrounds will likely increase the risk of sexual assault (even if "only" verbal)?

Yet you still advocate for it?

I haven't seen non-contact harassment referred to as 'sexual assault' other than by yourself and that other poster.

Nobody's being imported here.

And I see no evidence whatsoever that changes in asylum policy would positively impact crime rates. I would actually suspect that moving towards a 'harder' approach, which might see people living undocumented or in greater poverty, would in fact lead to increases in crime.

Ok, I will "scale it back" to simply sexual harrassment.

Do you think that allowing thousands of undocumented men from cultures you agree would likely increase the amount of sexual harrassment claims from our citizens is a good or a bad thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I thought, according to you, that part of the attraction of here is that it’s an English speaking country and ‘the second highest GDP in the world’ to increase their chances of getting a job but now you’re suggesting that some can’t speak basic English

Advertisement