Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If you say that you smell burning, they'll book you in quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I would agree with this to be fair. When I initially was given a 3 week turnaround for the EGR cooler I was very annoyed that they wouldn't give me a courtesy car but with the work that the car eventually needed being all covered under the recall I have to soften my cough a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Duff

Got the recall for my F32 420D recently, left it in and they couldn't do it as the previous owner had a MMI box installed for Apple car play/Android auto. They told me it would need to be removed before they can do the work. Strange to me how a radio modification would prevent them from being able to access the ECUs properly. I've no idea how to remove it. Has anyone any experience with this kind of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I had something similar with a BMW dealer when I upgraded the screen to widescreen (genuine BMW parts). They refused to carry out a warranty repair (tail light replacement) as they said it was causing issues with the coding of the new light so I had to swap back in the old parts temporarily.

Those MMI boxes are normally installed and hidden behind the head unit. Easy enough to get to if in any way mechanically minded. See video below for a typical install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gccI73nl5Qk

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, seems pretty straightforward. I'll give it a go at the weekend. Hopefully you won't see me on the news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭djan

MMI box has nothing to do with an EGR recall as mine went through with it. Perhaps the tech didn't know the shortcut to switch screen to iIdrive input and check for service items?

That's what I assumed too. Mine doesn't even connect to the Android auto screen unless I have wifi and bluetooth turned on on my phone and always boots up to the OEM idrive when the car is turned on so not sure what they had an issue with.

I left it off at 9 a.m and was told it'd be ready by close the same day but then got a call later that day to tell me they're still working on it and it'll be ready the next day. Got a call the following morning to say the couldn't connect to the ECUs and if I had any aftermarket modifications installed I'd need them removed before they could do it..

Advertisement