Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jack67

And the nonsense from this poster continues , dismisses everything from everyone , going on and on with his anti Dublin agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is complete nonsense that you are spouting. The players that won U-21 All-Irelands from 2010 to 2014 started playing well before the Games Development Funding became available. They were just an exceptional freakish group of players at a level never seen before.

The Games Development Funding did not deliver senior footballers for Dublin. It started in 2007, so where are the five-year olds who started playing then? What the GDF did deliver was increased participation and more kids playing than ever, more girls than ever, more kids with disabilities than ever. That is what the money achieved and that is a really good outcome for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Many people do want Dublin to be split into multiple teams, that's pretty evident.

Not what you originally said. You said "supporters want…." as if it is widespread. You're changing the goalposts because you've been called out again. Many people want to have a few hours with Gráinne Seoige alone in the bedroom. Doesn't mean it's right or that it's gonna happen

Not just regular supporters, but also commentators with a large media presence like Colm O'Rourke.

Also not true. O'Rourke has said it, yes. Name two more commentators who've said it (with proof, please) or accept that you're gilding the lily to try to lend credence to your point which, otherwise, would have none.

I always admitted I had a "dog in the fight"-

Not true.

I want the GAA to do what is best for all counties and address the unfairness prevalent in inter-county GAA at the moment by splitting Dublin. This helps all counties, from Dublin right down to Leitrim, as we've discussed before.

Also not true. You don't want what's best for all counties, you want to split the best team in the land which just so happens to benefit your county the most. Splitting Dublin isn't best for Dublin. And it doesn't do anything for Leitrim. Anyone can go back and read through this thread and see for themselves. You claim that Dublin being weaker means that Leitrim would have performed better. You refused to outline which games they'd have performed better in or which years they'd have gone further in the competition. The strength of various Dublin teams over the past 20 years had zero impact on Leitrim's fortunes because they did not advance far enough to potentially meet Dublin. They were knocked out before they had the chance. You refuse to accept this fact (and it is a fact, no matter how much you insist otherwise) because it undermines the entire base of your argument.

Only twice in 150 years have Dublin had the possibility of playing New York. Dublin's relative strength would only have been an influence on those two games, had they occurred. A stronger or weaker Dublin means nothing to New York's chances because they would have been beaten by a different team anyway. Splitting Dublin does nothing for New York and all the other minnows who fail to make it out of their province every single year. This is fact. It shows how ridiculous your argument about helping everyone is, so you stand there, brazenly, trying to dispute this fact with a load of wishy-washy nonsense about prestige and integrity. They don't win games.

If they won 14 in a row fairly

They did.

Say there was a 100 metre sprint and one competitor got a 50 metre headstart.

WTF is this shite? How many games did Dublin start with scores already on the board? None? Okay, so you're talking out of your hole.

And it's not about crippling anyone! It's about enhancing the prestige, integrity and fairness of inter-county football.

More shite.

Deliberately making the best team in the competition worse so other's can catch up harms the prestige of the competition, not enhances it.

Deliberately making the best team in the competition worse so other's can catch up harms the integrity of the competition, not enhances it.

Deliberately making the best team in the competition worse so other's can catch up harms the fairness of the competition, not enhances it.

You are the master at making ridiculous statements with nothing to back them up. You proclaim these statements to be factual and true when they are nothing of the sort. You then either a) refuse to explore them in any detail, b) claim you already HAVE explained them in detail, referring people to your previous posts (without providing any assistance whatsoever) or c) shift the goalposts to something else.

You are the definition of a bad-faith poster. At one point last year, I asked you a question which you avoided answering. You were cherrypicking the bits and pieces of posts that you thought you had answers to, and replying to those parts. I called you out on refusing to answer questions by saying "see previous answers", and your response was "show me where I refused to answer a question". when shown, you replied "see previous answers".

You think Dublin's population advantage over Cork is evil, but refuse to accept Cork's advantage over Leitrim isn't.

You think splitting Dublin is a must, but are adverse to merging other counties.

You contradict yourself at every turn, because your entire position isn't a logical one. It is clouded by your petulance at no longer being the best team, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

This is complete nonsense. And I think you know it. You're trying to muddy the waters and pretend that Games Development funding only helped 5 year olds, when you know well it helped underage children older than that. And you ignored my points about the opportunity cost being reduced.

Here's funding from the Irish Sport Council in 2005 too. This is separate to the GAA money and sponsorship money. We see money assigned for Dublin alone. We see the time assigned is 2005, with reference to funding from 2001. We see it impacts children aged 11 and 12. So your argument is utterly demolished, from this one link alone, on the first page of Google. You've yet to explain why children in Dublin alone should be favoured too. I know you are partisan but put yourself in the shoes of someone like me who wants to help all counties- why not distribute funds more equitably across the country? Why favour Dublin alone, especially given the other advantages they have in funding, not to mention everything else?

Of course not everyone wants Dublin to be split into multiple teams. We can see that from this thread alone. Just like not everyone has a problem with the dour, negative style of play is now common, that Dublin introduced and perfected in the late 2010s. But the point holds that they are widespread opinions nonetheless. I'm happy for you to do your own research on other commentators who endorse Dublin being split- you don't get to decide that 3 is the number at which it becomes acceptable. We've proved that Colm O'Rourke endorses the position, and yes he is a mainstream commentator (not that this is even necessary for legitimacy, just making the point). So the opinion is out there. We saw funding etc being discussed on The Sunday Game, Prime Time even over the years. People just don't like Dublin alone being favoured.

I admitted I had a dog in the fight in the sense that I advocated something that helped all counties, as I repeatedly said. I make no bones about that, I want what is best for the GAA. So if I was from any county, I was helped by splitting Dublin, as the benefits are so widespread and so significant.

I don't see the need in re-litigating the Leitrim benefits. I proved conclusively, repeatedly, before that yes, splitting Dublin helps Leitrim. But briefly, as every county who participates in inter-county football is harmed by Dublin being uniquely unfairly advantaged, every county benefits from splitting Dublin and dispersing these unfair advantages among several teams, including Leitrim (and Dublin also). I can't point to specific games, scorelines etc, just as we can't point to how Dublin would have performed specifically without Cluxton- we just know they'd have performed worse. But we know interest and participation would increase in Leitrim, and they'd have been helped by a split of Dublin.

They didn't win 14 in a row fairly because they are uniquely unfairly advantaged. Even from the point of view of the final being in their home stadium, it's ridiculous. The sprinting analogy shows how a competitor can be unfairly advantaged even if they don't win every year- just as in Dublin's case.

As before, a split enhances the prestige, integrity and fairness as it diminishes Dublin's unfair advantages. Not perfect, and a solution I was reluctant to arrive at but sadly it is the best available to us. I have referred you to previous posts because I've answered your questions so many times already! The bad faith posting is you expecting me to educate you over and over again. Yes, I have been patient with you and yes, you probably have learned a lot, but there is only so many times I can lay out the facts before it becomes tiresome.

There are population discrepancies between all counties but as Dublin are such an extreme outlier, it is worse than between Cork and Leitrim. THe gap between Dublin and Cork is larger than the gap between Cork and Leitrim for instance- and Cork don't have all the other advantages that Dublin have either!

I'm open to voluntary amalgamations, but a split of Dublin should happen on a mandatory basis. This is because amalgamations don't address Dublin's unfair advantages, whereas a split of Dublin does.

So we see again the clear and obvious benefits to the GAA that come from splitting Dublin alone.

Well once again more anti Dublin rubbish from this poster.

You ignore everyone's points , and you very well know it .

Kerry have been favoured for over 100 years

Kerry have destroyed Munster football

The once mighty and proud Kerry introduced and perfected dour football trying to compete with Dublin

It has failed

Kerry should be moved into Connaught or split in 2 , it would help Munster recover and it would also help Kerry .

The timeline for Games Development Funding is such that underage teams should have been getting BETTER from 2014 instead they got worse. The thing is, the money was never designed to produce, never produced and never will produce senior inter-county football players. There is no causal link, the timelines are off, your whole theory is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rn

Partly true in terms of how Leinster favours Dublin. But if Dublin were moved to connacht, connacht use home and away for all games, so that means Dublin would play 50% of their games outside Croke Park, including the provincial final.

Leinster need to move to same model. Get out of Croke Park - it's a national stadium for big games, too big for small provincial games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Charlo30

The reality is some posters want Dublin spilt and no amount counter arguments will change their minds. Other posters do not want Dublin spilt and similarly no amount of arguments will change their minds. And so the thread goes around in circles until it gets closed. Personally I don't think their is anything new to be added to the debate. In the short/medium Dublin will not be spilt. And if that day does come we're looking at bigger structural changes then Dublin. People need to be careful what they wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

you see, ultimately a competitive All Ireland needs to address a much longer history of unfair advantages. The suppression of Munster football by an unfairly advantaged Kerry has killed the game in counties like Limerick who have had a tradition in football in the past. Correcting that injustice would be critical step to fixing football and creating an ALL Ireland. While rise of Dublin is welcome to address this at a national level by creating a viable challenger, who has greatly improved the standard of football in spite of the men behind’s the ball tactics pioneered by some counties. However something more radical is required to address Kerry’s advantages in a manner that gives hope to all counties

I’m thinking national level. While it’s touching you, as a Munster person, has a level of concern that the interest may be gone in Leinster, we do have an unfortunately larger historical precedent in Munster, with a longer and more egregious level of favouritism than you could ever accuse Dublin of receiving. How would you fix the Munster football championship so that Limerick can once again hope to complete for a football title? So that the utterly lopsided roll of honour in Munster can be corrected? Would you agree that fixing the unfair advantages Kerry have enjoyed and making Munster football competitive is a worthwhile endeavour?

you misunderstand me re stadia: I don’t want new stadia for Dublin, I want them for all of Leinster. Looking at capacity it’s clear that Leinster has been hugely and unfairly disadvantaged compared to say Munster here. Redeveloping and expanding existing stadia would alleviate the need to use Croke Park for any game with substantial fan demand and allow teams to play in a variety of venues. Croke Park would be available for big games and Dublin would be able to use their home stadium, Parnell Park properly. Kildare, Meath etc would also have a home stadium that could accommodate big matches, similar to what we see in Munster. It’s really strange for you, arguing for fairness in Leinster, to insist in the same breath that Leinster shouldn’t have an equitable approach in terms of stadia compared to Munster. What’s the basis for such discrimination, why shouldn’t Kildare for example have a stadium sufficient to host major crowds and remove their need to pitch for games to be played in Croker? It’s a win win- all Leinster teams, including Dublin, could have a proper, adequate home ground, with the special atmosphere of Croker reserved for marquee games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Now I know for a fact that you're on the wind-up.

Blocked.

Post edited by Yeah Right on

I see you are ignoring how you were badly caught out in your lie that the money only helped 5 year olds, and how the funding reduced the opportunity cost from other spending. You've also yet to explain why children in Dublin are more deserving that elsewhere?

Your argument here will only hold true if Games Development Funding was the only factor influencing Dublin's success. We've proved it was and is a big factor, but it's not the only one. Other factors that are also important include population. And sponsorship funding. And money from the Irish government. And playing all consequential games at home. So, yes, overfunding from the GAA unfairly helped Dublin alone but it's not the only way they alone are unfairly favoured by the GAA.

I never said that children in Dublin are more deserving than elsewhere. In fact, the funding per child shows a very different story than the fiction you peddle.

I think people who don't want Dublin to be split can be persuaded though. As it's obvious to anyone with an open mind who views things in an unbiased way that yes, Dublin alone are unfairly advantaged. Perhaps they can dispute the way a split should be done, should it be 4 ways, should it be 6 ways etc, but not that Dublin don't have unfair advantages.

Beyond that though, while some points made are repetitive, different people are exposed to them so we constantly have new people being exposed to the reality of Dublin's unfair advantages, which is important for the GAA.

I definitely agree that a competitive All-Ireland needs to address a much longer history of unfair advantages. Unfortunately this again means that Dublin alone should be split as they are the only team historically unfairly advantaged. Population alone was always a reason for Dublin to be split, as they are such an outlier there. It has become worse over the years as there population has grown, the funding kicked in, they were allowed to start playing NFL games in Croke Park but there can be no doubt that Dublin always were unfairly advantaged vs everyone else.

As I've explained before, success alone is not a problem, as in Kilkenny's case. Whereas competing from an unfairly advantaged position is a big problem, win or lose- as in Dublin's case. So no other county or province needs corrective action as no other county has the unique combination, nature, scale and duration of unfair advantages that Dublin do. Yes, there are discrepanies between counties in say population, but nothing like with Dublin. So while Provincials should probably be scrapped regardless, the reforms I'm proposing will help all provinces if they do continue to exist, as is likely. The first thing to do with Provincials would be to place them in their wider context of all inter-county GAA. Then we would see again the need to split Dublin to help all counties. Funding from all sources should be equalised too, but the first, most important and beneficial step for any GAA reforms is to split Dublin.

Apologies on the stadia, I did misunderstand you, I thought you meant for Dublin alone. While this proposal isn't as bad, I wouldn't be in favour of it still. Leinster has become an absolute shambles, interest and competition is rapidly dying as Dublin continue to win off of their platform of unfair advantages. It's beyond a joke by this stage, it's by far the worst provincial competition nowadays. So building new stadia won't help- interest will continue to dwindle without Dublin being split so there won't be any "substantial fan demand"! They'd still be empty as there wouldn't be the supporters to fill them. Far better to dedicate our energies and money to more productive areas, like splitting Dublin before we undertake any other reforms. Perhaps after that we could look at new stadia, but not before. Dublin already have a home ground, built for them by the GAA, another way they have been favoured, so they definitely don't need a new one.

Sadly, it doesn't. And in my view, children in Dublin are only as deserving as those everywhere else, not more deserving.

The standard 21st Century approach when someone has lost an argument! I'm not on the wind-up- I appreciate you are partisan so it may be hard for you to empathise with someone who truly has a neutral and unbiased view but I genuinely just want what is best for the GAA.

This was done to death very early in this thread, and the arguments were put to bed. Funding per capita (under-18) in Dublin is not significantly different to the rest of the country.

Again more nonsense from this poster

People who don't want Dublin split, Don't want Dublin split end of. Its not going to happen anyway

Kerry are unfairly advantaged in Munster for over 100 years ,they should be split or put into Connaught

This way Munster will recover in time and Kerry would also benefit from this and hopefully they would stop playing the dour football they started after 2011 and perfected over the last 13 years trying to prevent Dublin winning 6 in a row.

• Advertisement

I see you are ignoring Kerry being advantaged in Munster for over 100 years .

I see you are ignoring the damage Kerry has done to Munster over the last 100 years

The only solution is to split Kerry or send them to Connaught .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Pure nonsense , you are 100% not neutral and are 100% biased. You don't want what's best for the GAA. You want what's best for Kerry by weakening Dublin . I agree with a lot of posters here , Munster is a basket case , and its all due to 100 years of unfair Advantages Kerry have received . I would like to see Kerry split it would be good for Munster and Kerry also . At first Kerry supporters would not be happy , but in time they would realise how it makes Munster more competitive and would get behind this new rivalry North v South Kerry .

Why stop at North and South Kerry.

Kerry already has regional divisions, which have an identity of their own within GAA. That isn't anywhere else. Split Kerry into East Kerry, Mid Kerry, North Kerry, South Kerry and West Kerry, the main GAA divisions within Kerry, that already have fan support and reognition. If that works out over a decade or so, then split other counties and merge other counties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_GAA

Do you know what , that makes a lot of sense , fair play to you excellent suggestion 👍

Of course it makes sense. Kerry have had over a century of unfair domination of GAA Football and nobody has done anything about it. Address that long-standing imbalance first, and everything else falls into place.

The regions within Kerry already exist, they have local followings in the county championship there. Taking that to a Munster Championship arena would be a win-win for all involved. All those great players in Kerry who can't get near the county team would get their chance. Supporters would be excited to see their divisional team playing more games.

• Advertisement

It is significantly different- it's significantly more. There's no way you could have read the arguments and concluded that. And then factor in sponsorship funding, money from the Irish government etc. And also recall that Dublin's population is so much of an outlier that that alone is grounds for a split- not more funding.

No, Dublin alone should be split. It's because Dublin alone have the unique combination, nature, scale and duration of unfair advantages in population, funding, playing at home etc. As they're the only county which is a complete outlier, they're the only county which should be split.

It's not about hobbling a county, or even just because of their success, the destruction of the Leinster Championship etc- it's because their success has come via competing from an unfairly advantaged position. So Dublin alone should be split to help the GAA in all counties.

Ah this old chestnut rolled out again and again , but sure what's good for the goose and all that , so here we go again

I disagree Kerry alone should be split , 100 years of unfair advantages in Munster has to stop. Kerry have ruined Munster , its a basket case the lack of interest and support is killing the game down there.

God almighty this poster has repeated this nonsense hundreds of times

Over and over again , nothing new to see here !!

There are risks to splitting a county, it could cause a huge drop in interest. From a population perspective, the GAA couldn't afford to take that risk and lose the revenue from Dublin.

Much better that a more successful county with already established, recognised and supported divisions be split as a pilot project. If that is successful, and it will take a decade to find out, a merger of two unsuccessful counties could also be considered as another pilot (say Carlow and Wicklow) with a final reorganisation in about 20 years time affecting all counties following proof of concept.

With all those pieces in place, splitting Dublin could be part of the consideration.

• Advertisement

Indeed there would be risks , but its a risk i feel the GAA should take . its the only way to save Munster and it would also revive interest in Kerry , agreed splitting Dublin could possibly be looked at years down the road , 20 years sounds just about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

The pilot proposals of splitting Kerry first, then merging Carlow and Wicklow, would need about ten years each to be fully assessed, before wider proposals for other mergers (Leitrim/Roscommon, Laois/Offaly, Longford/Westmeath) and other splits - Cork, Dublin, Galway - could then form part of a future full reorganisation.

A sensible approach to the issue addressing competitiveness rather than blaming one county.

This is actually a massive breakthrough! You've now accepted there are circumstances where you are wiling for Dublin to be split. Blanch152 is the same, although he/she has accepted numerous times in the past that they are open to splitting Dublin. Whereas you've previously said Dublin should never be split. I did say people could be convinced to change their minds on this and it looks like I was right.

Whereas I have never accepted that any county other than Dublin should be split. This is because the unfair advantages that Dublin enjoy do not exist in any other county. That's why I say that Dublin alone should be split to enhance the prestige, integrity and fairness of inter-county gaelic games.

The objective isn't splitting Dublin, the objective is to improve the competitiveness of the All-Ireland Football Championship. That is where we differ.

You favour a singular vindictive approach focussed on the most recent successful team. That that team has now won only one All-Ireland in four years takes away the immediacy of focussing on them, as well as making it irrational to focus on just that one team and clearly shows the unbalanced emotional focus of your proposal. With a requirement to take a broader wider approach that looks at the overall competitiveness and includes mergers as well as a number of splits, looking at the most successful county overall for a split, and the least successful counties for candidates for a merger makes for an unbreakable logical outcome.

If the pilots of splitting Kerry, and merging of Carlow and Wicklow don't work out, nothing will really have changed as they will still be the most successful and least successful counties. Again, logic that is absent from all of your ranting.

Actually what i said was Splitting Dublin " could possibly be looked at " 20 years down the road, more than likely i would be 6 feet under by then lol….And again your wrong , Kerry have enjoyed unfair advantages for over 100 years , that's why Kerry alone should be split ,and wait for it , " TO ENHANCE THE PRESTIGE, INTEGRITY AND FAIRNESS OF INTER-COUNTY GAELIC GAMES ", I wonder how many times you have used these words ?😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Sounds good…could this thread be shut until then? Or at least discuss the county championship or something relevant?

Yes this thread could be shut until then ,unfortunately it probably won't be .

Calm down, you seem to be getting riled, again. If the objective is to improve the competitiveness of the All-Ireland , to take a broader, wider approach, then you should favour splitting Dublin alone. As they are the only county uniquely unfairly advantaged. While I welcome you repeatedly stating that you are open to splitting Dublin, most of the rest of your proposals are wrong. Only Dublin should be split. Voluntary amalgamations can be considered too, as long as the split of Dublin is done on a mandatory basis.

• Advertisement

Exactly, you indicated you were open to splitting Dublin, under certain circumstances. This is a massive breakthrough. Whereas I have never indicated an openness to splitting any other county.

Again Kerry have been uniquely unfairly advantaged for over 100 years , Kerry should be split immediately "

TO ENHANCE THE PRESTIGE, INTEGRITY AND FAIRNESS OF INTER-COUNTY GAELIC GAMES".

That refusal to even consider other splits and amalgamations clearly demonstrates beyond doubt that your approach is based purely on an envious vindictive approach. My broader approach to solve the competitiveness issue has much more support on here because it is broadly based, because it is not negative towards any county, because it builds on existing structures.

but your lack of openness to the problems the Kerry Monster has created over the last century and more is not the key factor. We can see the fans are clamouring for the increase in competition, prestige and fairness that would come with a Kerry split. Think of the benefits for the game in Munster, the massive influx of football supporters for Tipperary and Limerick for example, and the increased interest in the football championship in those counties.

and for Kerry the extending of the wearing of the Jersey to many players who never would otherwise. All the while under the banner of already established structures. Even from a stadium perspective it makes sense, with a range of large stadia available in Munster. All with a simple split to negate the toxic effects of a century plus of unique and unfair privilege.

Not only that, but it would boost football in Kerry too. Could you imagine the excitement in Dingle if West Kerry managed to get to a Munster final.

We have consider other splits. I've correctly concluded they're not necessary as Dublin alone are uniquely unfairly advantaged- which is why Dublin alone should be split. You've already acknowledged your openness to splitting Dublin under certain circumstances so you clearly appreciate the argument has some validity. We've also considered amalgamations- I've correctly concluded they can be offered on a voluntary basis, after or in conjunction with a mandatory split of Dublin. So it's not vindictive- you're partisan and only want what you think is best for Dublin (despite a split helping Dublin). But if you truly take a broad based, non-partisan approach, it's obvious that given the unique circumstances that prevail in Dublin, their position as being solely unfairly advantaged in population, funding, playing at home etc, it's obvious that Dublin, and only Dublin, should be split.

You need to take a step back here. Drop the Dublin partisanship and assess things in a neutral way. Dublin alone are complete outliers in population, far above the median population, multiple standard deviations away. Dublin alone are uniquely overfunded relative to everyone else, by whatever metric you want to look at. Dublin alone play almost all consequential games in their home stadium. There are other advantages and factors in their success, but these three reasons are the main things to consider when we say that Dublin are uniquely unfairly advantaged. No other county has these advantages in combination, in the scale that Dublin enjoy, had them persist for decades etc.

As transfers are exceedingly rare, a larger population results in a far larger playing pool, meaning more top-class footballers. The money helps to develop these players, among other things. Playing at home helps Dublin eke out victories in close games they might otherwise draw or lose.

So drop the partisan lens for a moment. If you assess these advantages properly, in a neutral, unbiased way, we see that Dublin alone should be split. As they are the only county uniquely unfairly advantaged. Contrary to what you think, this is actually a pro-Dublin position! All counties benefit from this, and while Dublin's benefits are different in certain ways to other counties, it would be very positive for the GAA in the county too. Supporters don't like Dublin competing from an unfairly advantaged position. The Leinster Championship is dying a death. If we split Dublin and disperse their unfair advantages, while not the only reform needed, it goes a long to fixing the issues for the GAA.

Nonsense, I have conceded that there is a competitiveness issue in the All-Ireland Championship, not that Dublin should be split.

Since 1960, only 11 of 33 teams have won the All-Ireland, many of them only once or twice. Kerry have won 38 out of 137, nearly 30% of all titles. To bring competitiveness and fairness to the competition, something has to be done about Kerry, to take away the long-standing unfair advantages that they have had.

As I said already, splitting Kerry for 20 years won't erase their lead at the top of the winners chart, they will still be the leading county. It will also help Kerry as it is clear that supporters there have lost interest. If the splitting up of the leading county works, and only if, then we can consider splitting the next few counties on the leaderboard - Dublin, Galway and Cork. It is a non-partisan approach, based on evening up the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

But the problem is no counties are fairly differentiated by population size. So unless you change up all counties then there will be differences between counties. That's life/sport.

Dublin do play most of their games in croke park but with changes to competition formats play more away now in the all ireland series. Hard to suggest changes so they play more away from croke park.

All counties don't get an advantage from a Split Dublin. As counties that don't make last 8 regularly or much at all will now have another stronger team than them so their pathway to that level is now harder.

Leinster is dying a death but you just put blame on Dublin and don't look at other reasons. Dublin are not the reason that leinster only had 1 team competing in division 1 of nfl for years. Or drop in standards from other counties

• Advertisement

And once again your incorrect Kerry have been uniquely unfairly advantaged for over 100 years !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement