Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice please: Moving from manual to automatic transmission car.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭yagan

Some autos have lower ratios that you move the shifter to when going downhill. I think it make the engine use fewer revs, retarding the descent.

My current automatic has gear shifting pedals on the steering wheel that allow me drop a gear if I feel the transition is too sluggish for acceleration, or for saving the breaks on downhill driving.

I'd recommend padal shifters so it will feel you have the control over gears like you have with a manual, but without needing a clutch pedal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭User1998

The Micra probably won’t have an alarm & immobiliser so you’ll need to get one fitted. Shouldn’t be a problem with insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

There are different types of automatics: torque converter, CVT, dual clutch, automated manual, eCVT.

I'd be a bit wary of CVT and dual clutch due to reliability issues. Also, dual clutches can be jerky at low speed. I'd totally avoid automated manuals.

Personally I'd either go for a torque converter or a Toyota hybrid (they've got eCVT). Torque converters unfortunately are becoming less common and dual clutches tend to be replacing them.

Of the two you've mentioned, I believe the Micra is a CVT (or possibly an automated manual?) and the Citroen is a torque converter, so I'd favour the Citroen.

If it was me, I'd concentrate on Toyota hybrids: Yaris, Corolla, C-HR, Prius. They're very reliable and there are lots to choose from. (Honda hybrids are very good as well: Jazz and Civic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭User1998

Also the automatic gearbox in the Micra is extremely expensive/impossible to repair if thats a concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

This is great information, and the kind of thing I would be utterly clueless about, when it comes to automatics.

Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭yagan

I had to test drive a few small run arounds for an elderly aunt who doesn't do much driving now and I thought the Yaris was good, but for shear ease of parking the Suzuki Ignis was a dream. It sits higher than a Yaris and all round visibility is excellent. Brilliant in urban, but I wouldn't recommend if a motorway is part of you daily drive.

Just a clarification regarding the Citroen C3. I think the older ones were automated manuals (not so good) and the newer ones are torque converters (good). I'm not exactly sure when the switch was made.

For some automatic cars it can be quite difficult to find out what type they are. Sometimes the manufacturers aren't very explicit. And the type in some Japanese imports can be different to the ones in the same Irish model from the same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't driven a manual since the mid-90s and would NEVER, EVER go back.

Back then they were pretty hard to come by unless Japanese imports or mid-higher-end German saloons, but nowadays you can get pretty much everything in auto (except vans - I've looked in the past at renting one when moving house and they're still almost all manual).

Far easier in traffic, better on hills/inclines, just better all round IMO for the majority of driving. Unless you're an enthusiast or purist you'll - as others have said - wonder why anyone would choose a manual nowadays.

My current car doesn't even come in manual. EV's are all automatic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User567363

With an automatic car you only use one foot, do not take the other foot off the foot rest while driving

I cant remember if its the left foot or the right foot, but you will know if you use the wrong one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

In the beginning keep your left leg bent so your foot is flat on the floor and your left arm under your left arse cheek, it's a simple way to make yiu drive if like yiu should. Another mental cue is to think its like a bumper car at a carnival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've never heard of reliability issues with Toyota CVTs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Like others have said drive with the left foot tucked back.

Driven manuals all my life, decades still like them, especially on a twisty road. But for driving in traffic or easing the work load, an automatic is a no brainer. An EV lightens the load even more. So don't rule an EV in the future.

Whatever it takes to stay mobile. Maybe it because I switch between a manual and an auto (I take whatever is in the drive) But while I picked up driving the auto easy, I was still making little mistakes for ages.

You may be right.

Nissan CVTs have been very poor, which is where the bad reputation has come from.

Toyota and Honda CVTs seem to be pretty good, although I'd prefer a good torque converter over any CVT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ll be making the change soonish.

Inspired by seeing my parents make the transitions from manual to auto and they both love it. You couldn’t pay them to go back to manual. Both have arthritis and the ease of them not having to clutch and keep shifting gears is brilliant for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'll assume that you are being sarcastic there. There's a foot rest for your left foot. Taking a hand off the steering wheel in order to tuck your arm anywhere is a fool's game.

OP, tell them to go for it. They'll love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

No not being sarcastic at all, it's a good way to get into it in the beginning, obviously do this fir a short period of time, it stops the person trying to change gear with their left hand etc.

It was a driving instructor that gave this advice to my sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Just to point out that CVTs and Torque Converters are two different things altogether. A CVT is a type of Gear box, a Torque Converter is in lieu of a Clutch.

You can have a CVT with a Torque Converter, or a CVT with an Automatic Clutch. I've had issues with Automatic Clutch based CVTs before.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I love automatics, it makes driving in general a lot less taxing.

Once you keep your left foot on the foot rest it will be fine, if you use it to brake it can be difficult to overcome the muscle memory reflex of using the clutch, so you will brake very hard & suddenly unless you learn to left foot brake.

One thing to also keep in mind is what to do with your left hand, if it is a floor mounted Automatic and not a column mounted one and you are in the habit of keeping your hand on the gear lever your brain may take over and want you to shift gears, I've seen this happen to older people who are used to manuals all their lives.

Advertisement