Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkeypox virus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

With regard MPOX it looks like we are all good here so:

"Ireland has “sufficient” supplies of mpox vaccine to deal outbreaks of the disease in the State in the coming months, the infectious diseases watchdog has said, with the risk for the country being deemed as low by health officials."

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭thereiver

I read mpox has been spreafing in Africa for years .my question is why has no action been taken by the UN or some other international body Did we learn nothing from the pandemic .To stop a virus the majority of the population had to be vaccinated .We spend billions on nuclear weapons it's going to cost billions maybe to stop the virus spreading to eu country s and around the world .The UN could have given out free vaccines to every person in Africa

IImagine If mpox was widespread in Scotland i.d say there would be a widespread vaccination program in the UK

Mpox could be more serious than COVID if it spreads around the world .

I understand many African are not well developed They have only the most basic health services in most countries which don't have the resources to produce vaccines and give them to most people

Some governments are corrupt and it's not simply a matter of giving them money or sending vaccines

Even in Ireland there are many people that never got vaccinated due to misinformation or conspiracy theories like COVID is just.a government conspiracy to gain more control of the population

It would require a international taskforce to go to Africa and setup medical program to give our vaccines to millions of people

This probably won't happen so the future is mpox will spread around the world to every country unless some borders are shutdown

1000s of African people travel to the eu every month as tourists or to find work

Will there be some type of screening program setup in UK Irish airports eg if you can't prove that you have been vaccinated for mpox you can't get off the plane

I know the eu only has about 200k mpox vaccines right now

Meanwhile COVID is still spreading most people have stopped wearing masks people in concerts are getting COVID

2 people in the eu have already got Mpox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah let’s not over exaggerate the threat- but it’s still a horrible and in some cases lethal disease - I wonder if restrictions and isolation procedures will kick in coming from African countries? Its certainly a possibility if anyone is planning a trip there - now is the time to do it to try and hit this on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Redacted Circular

Monkeypox never went away. The media stopped reporting on it once the public began to nootice certain things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It will disappear again as soon as the Dail returns. Probably sooner. It's a non story. We love a good virus these days. Measles was another one recently.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

maybe there could be some screening at airports in africa ,eg you cannot buy a plane ticket to a eu country unless you have proof of mpox vaccination ,like you need a passport to get on a plane to travel to the eu in theory. Or is this too much to expect, theres very little coverage of covid 19 in the media at the moment as the media do not find it interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,371 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont think theres enough vaccines to cover that. They are being kept in reserve for breakout areas. Open to correction but I dont think theres any large scale preventative programmes from what Ive read.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Imagine if we could go back 5 years , covid 19 was just spreading in africa, would we have any realistic way of stopping it spreading to every country in the world, many governments in africa are corrupt ,they dont really have basic services to vacccinate children never mind millions of people in different countrys with different governments and levels of medical services .And of course theres illegal migration, 100,s of people arrive in the uk every month by boat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Meanwhile ... havent seen this x account posting since 22or so when in thick of covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

According to the UK this Clade 1 monkeypox is airborne which is not good with schools about to open back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Here we go again…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Congrats on finding a meme on Twitter and thinking it's genius... But it just sounds a bit like pushing conspiracy theories.

There is no twitter you need to update your standard replies.

Have you any evidence that mpox is a fiscal scam? You realise we've had many such outbreaks pre COVID pandemics. So the edgy meme to push a conspiracy theory just comes across as silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Yvonne007

So Nigeria is rife with Monkeypox…

The Irish times:

"Currently there are 31,473 people seeking international protection in Ireland.

This year’s figures are driven by a fourfold increase in people from Nigeria seeking asylum. Last year 764 Nigerians tried to claim asylum in the first six months; this year the figure is 2,999. Nigeria accounts for almost 30 per cent of all asylum seekers to the State this year, by far the greatest number from a single country."

This will end well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭gw80

Yep, and Ireland will end up with the highest rate of monkey pox in Europe and the link will just be ignored,

The government never stopped busing migrants in through out the covid "lock down" they are not going to stop when there is no lowdown.

If you're saying this is to maximize big pharma profits or stocks then ya, you're absolutely pushing a conspiracy theory. This sounds more like a repeat of COVID conspiracy theories.

We've had multiple pandemics since COVID btw, None of these are a conspiracy theory to maximise pharma profits. Have you any evidence that pandemics are being defined by pharma companies ?

So far only you are pushing some conspiracy theories and trying to attribute them to me. Good luck with that.

While they may occupy some prominent spot in your mind please do not engage in "if you are saying" or "if you are thinking" projections.

People can judge the below.

Or that a pandemic isn’t even needed anymore, WHO declares an emergency, big pharma gets taxpayer funds for a zillion doses of vaccines. A ton of profits are made. Stock goes up. No one else even has to be involved. On to the next emergency.

• Advertisement

You need to try harder. That is not a conspiracy theory but summary of what is happening right now.

Wow Covid really did a mind melt on some of you folks.

Mpox will be utterly irrelevant to 99.9999999999% of people in Ireland. It was a non story before and will be a non story again. The numbers are miniscule.

Someone has to make vaccines the point is some African county's are badly governed and have only basic health care the don't have the infrastructure to vaccinate millions of people

Will there any eu screening of migrants for mpox or other disease will there be any program to vaccinate migrants

I see no discussion of this in the media the UN is the only organisation that can coordinate major vaccination programs across Africa

Due to bad weather failing crops 20 million people are at risk of starvation in Africa there are always Africans going to Europe to make a new life

Will medical staff be trained to deal with migrants and stop the spread of mpox across Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CookingGuy

This blame game stuff is terrible, the idea people can be responsible for things isn't ok and is a bad look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OnTheCorner

How did you get that idea from my post?

Weather Mpox becomes a thing or not, my point was that the government will not stop taking people in from all parts of the world,

They didn't when there was a full on pandemic,they wont do it for this disease,

So what? You want to stop international travel now? Or do you want to make this a thread about immigration?

It's a non story.

What are you on about?

A poster or posters have suggested stopping international travel from these countries because of Mpox, I am saying that they didn't stop it for covid at the height of the pandemic so they are not going to do it for Mpox,

I am not suggesting to stop international travel,

I couldn't care less about Mpox.

Is that clear for you now,?

• Advertisement
Advertisement