Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta ‘24

• 14-08-2024 6:39am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’ll get the Velogames league created some time today.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭andyd12

Just seen the parcours, it's looks like a very rough few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My first Grand Tour in a long time without a Eurosport / GCN subscription. Still can't justify paying 160 per year for what I was getting for 40€. Any suggestions of other ways to watch, with VPN or otherwise?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thought it was €6.99 (€84 p/y) per month on discovery. Double what I was paying (once the half price offer runs out at end of the year) but still worth it vs other subscriptions I have. I'm also hoping they might go the way of other services and introduce an annual offer for the price of 10 months at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,813 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I used have a £20 subscription for Eurosport. Now I'm gonna just do April to September. Cut it after the worlds.

I'll be in Spain for the last week of the Vuelta so I'll mostly be watching via tapas bar except the final TT which I will watch with my eyeballs 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Special Vuelta Jersey for Movistar

Could be an interesting opening TT. Tarling in red?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

You can sign up just for a month too - I did that for the Tour and will probably do it again now for the Vuelta.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

League code: 165223511

Get it done in a hurry lads!!

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

• Advertisement

they/them/theirs

they/them/theirs

Midnight tonight once I know Pog hasn't changed his mind :)

Arkea changing out of red for the Vuelta and going with a bike safety message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭JMcL

Looks like SBS in Aus are streaming it (https://www.sbs.com.au/) It's free, but I've found it can be laggy over a VPN (NordVPN - others mght be better). Otherwise there's a list of options with non-English commentary at https://www.expressvpn.com/stream-sports/cycling/vuelta-a-espana/

Ooofff... Tarling into second by only 0.2s

Looks like the wind is up a bit in this latter stage of the TT

Kirby - "Yates making a massive statement" as he finishes behind Skjelmose, Vine, Tiberi, Martinez

"Poor TT for Uijtdebroeks", who is a renowned crap tt'er but only 9s behind the 'amazing' yates effort

Dunbar 31s back, not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

I'm interested in how to pronounce his first name which, although containing just 4 letters, is proving to be devilishly more difficult than his colourful looking surname to sme of the english-speaking commentators.

As an Irish person, 'Cian' is a straightforward recognisable name, sounding not unlike 'keen' but with a slight Tallafornian accent. To anyone unfamiliar with it, I've heard ''See-An' 'Chee-Ann' and a mildly dyslexiacal "KANE" on other commentaries. This evening, CK offered up something like 'Shee-unn' and followed later by "Chunnng" or something like that.

Maybe they should take the John Giles/Jackie Charlton approach and just say something like 'the boy OOtybrooks!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

felt like I was losing my mind earlier “laying down a real marker!”

Anyway, really impressive TT by Eddie Dunbar. Both Irish lads in the top 40 is great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Pretty sure that's my first time ever to be top of the velogames 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,713 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think the way he pronounces it himself is ‘See-an’, as opposed to the Irish pronunciation

The eurosport guys seem to have settled on a one syllable "KYAAN", except for Sean who has a different pronunciation every time he mentions him

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Quiet day yesterday with a 5-hour pedestrian stage. Oh, and Eddie Dunbar crashed with about 20km to go. Not serious it seems. And then he got held up by the later crash inside the final 3km, but same time awarded as the winner. If I was any other competitor, unfortunately I would want to avoid him as he is an utter crash-magnet in the mould of Geraint Thomas, if not worse. I don't want to wish ill-luck upon him but it is unavoidably obvious that there is some sort of issue here--- he survived the TT but managed to crash on the very first road stage. Can he not follow a lumpy, experienced teammate or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

But this is the Vuelta. And Roglic the ultimate crash magnet has managed to win it 3 times. Crashes actually make you a stronger rider in Spain.

I do find it fascinating how riders get tagged with being crash prone. I would love to see some stats on it. You would assume most crashes are one or two riders at fault followed by anyone close behind getting taken down with them. So surely bad luck plays as much of a part. Obviously some riders are better handlers which would mean they could avoid a spill in front of them or maybe maintain control if they have a wobble etc. Someone throws a bidon in the Giro and Thomas goes down. His fault? Should he have dodged it? Either way it goes in his crash column. How many crashes equals crash prone?

Thomas had 2 problems from what I can remember.

Some of it was due to being a team leader that spent a lot of time behind teammates which resulted in some bad luck. You could maybe say his reaction times were not good but a lot of it was bad luck.

But he also was pretty poor on cornering which caused a fair few problems.

Some riders like himself (and maybe Dan Martin) only needed the tiniest little thing to send them flying as soon as the bike was any bit tilted. Whatever it is about the way Rog rides is even more extreme. He is so unstable he recently crashed going up hill.

Cant remember who but there is a running joke in the Ronde documentaries about a rider who crashes multiple times every year.

• Advertisement

I know they wouldnt have much chances but the sprint field for this Vuelta is hilariously bad. WVA & Groves, then a heap of no-names for Euskaltel, Equipa Kern Pharama, etc. The 2 should share 6-7 stages between them.

Advertisement