Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

cocaine - heroin- fentanyl - alcohol , doesn’t matter to me they are all destroying families and communities , cocaine alcohol is definitely the biggest cause of issues around mental health , addiction treatments…

I fixed it for you.

Alcohol is by far the most common, the most damaging and the most abused addictive substance around. It is also considered to be the gateway drug for harder stuff. Smoking is not far off with damage it is causing.

You also forgot to add cannabis to your rather short and very selective list. Not every publican is driving flash car but I suppose they are also not that bad financially speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathodrays

I have a friend who is an addiction counsellor and she reckons that if drugs disappeared, many of societies problems would be solved. I think that's a silly point of view.

There's no doubt that drugs and alcohol are a big factor in physical and sexual assaults, presentations to A&E departments, muggings/burglaries to feed a habit but many of them actually have uses as medicines like morphine for severe pain and stimulants for adhd. It's also arguable that civilization would never have developed without alcohol.

Just looking at countries with a high rate of abstinence from the biggest legal drug (alcohol), they all seem to be in the Middle East and Africa, not exactly the most developed places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I drugs disappeared, the medical profession would be in crisis - and your friend sounds like another person who seems to think addiction and responsabile useage are the same thing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Quitelife

the closure of so many garda stations in rural ireland in 2010/11 was a huge opportunity for drug dealers to start up or expand knowing there was no gardai to stop you selling drugs or intimidating anyone else who tried to stop you . All towns and villages had some drug users in the past but the closure of the garda station network allowed drug dealers to be more in the open offering cocaine to young people in pubs or on the street which many unfortunately have succumbed to fcuking up their lives in plenty cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

You didn't "fix" anything. Cannabis, and to a lesser extent alcohol, are not in the same league as things like fentanyl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'd take your friend's qualified and presumably, experienced, point of view over anyone else, as would most people. As usual with humans, it is only when kids arrive that logic sets in. I see one other poster here tried to claim that addiction and " responsibility of use " are two separate things, which is, of course, laughable.

A few sleepless months worrying about your son or daughter soon focuses the mind on that claim. Almost every addict I've met began their life of addiction claiming " but I use drugs responsibly".

You see it in every Rural Pharmacy in the country.

" 24 Nurophen plus please"

" what's it for"

" My mums period pains, she sent me down"

" She's 62, isn't she?"

Down to the next chemist in the next village.

" 24 Nurophen plus please"

" what's it for?"

"Back pain"

" There you go"

And on and on it goes. Multiple pharmacy's per week, every week. Just so you can responsibly get out of bed and get the kids out to school.

It's not just Cocaine. In fact we are on the cusp of a National Coedine epidemic which is much, much, much worse. Addicts are the only responsible users of drugs. That fact that a regular user of any drug is at the stage where they consider their usage to be "responsible" is practically the definition of the first stages of addiction.

If that happens to be a good description of anyone here, it's not too late to stop, especially if you have a family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭greenpilot

"Addiction can only be sorted if it is supervised and if people who are struggling are offered alternative to what drugs provide for them when they are ready to make a change."

Absolutely 100% Correct. I'd add honesty to that too. Tell your partner and family. Support is needed as it is a mountain that cannot be climbed alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I accept this as a contributing factor, but it's still not getting at the underlying causes. People are not doing drugs because there's less police around or because the dealers are finding it easier to operate. The dealers are taking advantage of a situation that already exists: work out what that is and no one will require their services.

The question wasn't why is cocaine more prominent, it's why are people getting addicted to it? (And by addicted, I mean where it becomes a problem: not the casual useage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Really?

How many people are there regularly consuming alcohol compared to regular fentanyl users in your expert opinion?

But you are correct, they, mainly alcohol are not in the same league. It is much worse with regard to consumption and damage caused. Much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

That gives an idea of the level of death annually attributable to alcohol: 4 deaths per day; or circa 1500/ year.

I remember trying to do an exercise to get my head around fentanyl epidemic in the USA; from my rough numbers if Ireland had an identical problem it would be circa 1200/annum.

Fentanyl issue in USA is horrendous and is worth reading up on, particularly in certain areas; but as bad as it is its still less than alcohol deaths per annum here.

Two hours well spent for anyhow convinced that even social alcohol drinking is harmless.

• Advertisement

Eh…? You making up **** again…??

There are responsible drug users everywhere - I'm one of them: I consume alcohol once or twice a week, weed two or three times a week, LSD or mushrooms once every couple of months and cocaine twice a year.

So question one: explain to me how consuming cocaine twice a year is "addicted"?

Also, you use the excellent example of painkillers. People get addicted to painkillers all the time - sure. But people use them responsibly as well, do they no?

So question two: Do you accept or reject the point that people can use painkillers and alcohol responsibly? Because if you reject it, then you debunk your own post. Accept and you prove me right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

A habitual drug user describing themselves as responsible makes me think you have a rather narrow understanding of responsibility. You mean, I assume, personal health-wise only? Like, you don't OD or go around on a rape rampage while high? You're managing or accepting the damage to your brain, lungs, nose yada yada.

But in terms of societal responsibility there's a rather large difference which is difficult to ignore. There are of course personal dangers from any medicine and alcohol, but those are certainly not illegal. Your class A habit is fueling drug cartels, crime etc. How are you rationalizing that as being socially responsible?

Advertisement