Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So, you have created your own echo chamber, for yourself, is that not exactly what you suggested others posters wanted.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’ve about 15 people on ignore. The usual tiresome sorts with nothing new or interesting to say. Even a small block list can make usage of the site more enjoyable. It’s an easy feature to access as well.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

110? Really.

Seriously, are you suggesting that 110 posters are behaving inappropriately and that mods are excusing this to the point that you have that many people on ignore?

I'll take your word for the figure, but if it's true, I'd suggest you have a think again about when you said Ireland leans Left, and Boards reflects this.

I think what you're finding out is that there's just a lot of people here who fundamentally disagree with the sort if views you support.

I'm not saying this to have a dig at you, just if you can't tolerate that qty of opposing voices without claiming their behaving inappropriately, ots worth having a think about what you specifically think you can get from a discussion forum and more specifically for this thread, why you think it should change to your liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,347 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What feedback are you suggesting for the site with that post exactly?

Reads like something that should be a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Why did you need to reveal those personal truths on a feedback thread ?

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

It's not what I want.

But seeing how I end up getting warnings every time someone on that list decides to start quoting my posts and being a dick to me while they get away with their behaviour for the most part it's a step I've had to take.

Whats the problem exactly anyway? The end goal is to have less bickering and as I'm taking a step to eliminating that for myself, surely that's a good thing is it not? Or do you enjoy the unpleasantness?

From my own perspective, almost every warning and ban I've ever had on boards has come as a result of replying to some unpleasant person who's decided to quote one of my posts and take it out of context or start accusing me of awful things and me defending myself. This exact thing happened the other day when you quoted me and started being completely unreasonable, what was the point of even replying to you? I'm not changing your mind or making the thread a better read for anyone. Let's just stop interacting, you don't like or respect me, so why bother quoting me so much to begin with?

I'd prefer if people could be reasonable and disagree respectfully, but that isn't the case unfortunately, so the best thing to do is stop interacting with people who do nothing but cause trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If I sent you that by PM, we could be sitting here discussing why I hadn't said it publicly.

I feel it should have been said publicly because you've been advocating here for particular site changes.

What seems to be the case is you disagree with how the majority of people interact with you and now, having failed to initiate the change you want to stop them doing that, you're ignoring a huge number of posters.

If any 'leftie' wanted to enforce changes that countered the views of the majority of people and this majority was right leaning, I can easily imagine how you would react to that.

°°°°°

The only changes I've advocated is a more streamlined approach to warnings and bans, as well as a list of phrases that aren't allowed as per the soccer forum to reduce arguments starting.

I'm simply sick of being punished for defending myself against certain posters, I always end up the worse off for it so I'm choosing to stop putting myself in that position.

How does that negatively impact anyone?

Why does a decision I made for myself have anything to do with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

What happened to this?…

"I took a pasting in terms of warnings over the weekend, and on reflection it was deserved."

Now you're blaming every warning or ban you've received on others and no doubt with a bit of mod-bias thrown in as well. You choose how your respond, nobody is forcing you to respond in a way that is going to get you into trouble. How about taking a bit of responsibility for your own behaviour like you momentarily did in post #1323.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'This exact thing happened the other day when you quoted me and started being completely unreasonable, what was the point of even replying to you?'

No idea what you're referring to here. I'm not unreasonable.

You can have as many people as you like on ignore, can't see the point myself in being here at all. What if you don't like that poster's opinion in one thread, but their knowledge of gardening would be a help to you?

Also, claiming that I don't like or respect you? I don't know you at all, I may disagree with you on some issues, but it doesn't cause me to have feelings about you as a person, nor does it mean that we won't have the same opinions on other topics.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I'm blaming myself for rising to other people's BS.

I'm literally taking responsibility for my own behaviour and stating that I'll avoid it by using the ignore function.

Why have you got a problem with that exactly?

• Administrators Posts: 14,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Lads, the discussion was quite productive up until the bickering started again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

16 actually. The number you can place on ignore has increased from 50 to 200, but I don’t need that amount myself personally as I don’t let the opinions of complete strangers on the internet bother me or influence me. I’ve never changed my mind on anything based on what I’ve read on Boards.

The 16 are just posters who genuinely have nothing new or interesting to say, and are in threads I tend to skim over/read. So I just pop them on ignore. It’s more a productivity hack for me, but I’d suggest other people who do get angry/upset/annoyed by other posters might need many more.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,201 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow this thread is confusing, ignore list is advised by others and then when a poster admits using it, pounced on, why it's their own ignore list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭nachouser

Anyone who starts a reply with "So what you're saying is…" and then goes on to concoct some version of what they're replying to that exists only in their own head, should be site-banned permanently:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ah, I see.

The site would be impossible if you had 200 on ignore, it would be like being half deaf and trying to keep up with the conversation in a large group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm responsible for the increase in the limit. Made the site much more usable IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

How does that work as a mod, say if a post by one of those posters was reported or they tried to PM you?

Posters are advised it's best not to put a mod on ignore in case you miss an onthread warning.

I don't have anyone on ignore, but there's some posters who'll I just scroll by on some threads. It's not the content of their posts either, just their posting style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No idea. I don't want anyone on my ignore list PM'ing me so it works perfectly fine from that perspective. Never been an issue so far.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

• Administrators Posts: 14,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

This is a very valid point. If people concentrated on their own posts and posting and didn't get so invested in what other people think or don't think the site would be a much better place! So a poster has a few on ignore, why or how does that affect your posting? Think about it, and if it doesn't… Move on.

Another point, people are allowed have opinions. They don't need to prove these opinions, it's an opinion after all. They don't even need to debate them. They can voice them and leave it at that. So long as they are voiced in a civil manner that's ok. It's not up to anyone else to change that opinion. You can put forward an alternative opinion. But you can't force that opinion on everyone else.

It's posters who continually look for why, or where or who says? that derail threads. And it usually ends up in the same few at the end of every thread arguing the same point they've argued on every other thread that week. I honestly don't know how you all keep track! Although if it's just the same argument repeated everywhere it keeps it simple I suppose!

It has to get tiresome at some stage, though. Surely?

°°°°°

I wouldn't have said anything about it if I thought I was chumming the waters by saying it.

We've had some good points raised here so far, and then some people wanted less posts from people they disagree with, and when that's promised to them by using the ignore function they get upset about it.

If everyone who gets into a lot of heated exchanges was to ignore a small number of people they have those exchanges with there'd be less modding required.

There has been an effort to enforce the rules to the letter since the weekend and that has highlighted that personal bickering will just result in more mod action being required if we can't cop on, and clearly some people are hell bent on continuing that type of thing so the only logical conclusion is to stop interacting with them.

It's no good if creating more work for moderation volunteers is the only outcome from this feedback thread. Everyone needs to do a little to change things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,205 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just one suggestion would it not make sense to delete or edit the content of the mod actioned posts?

If they have broke a forum rule why should them remain on the thread to be read by others?

°°°°°

That's been part of them problem over the last while.

Posts dissappear and no mod communication on thread occurs.

Unless the post is really off colour or libelous there's no reason it shouldn't remain with a warning attached.

Well for example if a poster is thread banned and warned regarding posting while thread banned why should that post stay?

It highlights what is unacceptable. If you see a post with a warning you'll be less likely to post in the same manner.

It's more work for mods though.

In all seriousness, I've never seen a DRP where the appellant couldn't send a PM. Obviously, I edit my ignore list then but it's never happened.

I always did this in Politics. People would sometimes complain but it helps establish a clean break and get things back on track.

• Advertisement

I will ask you the same question if the poster is thread banned and a mod actions the post should the content remain?

I think in that case the content should be removed but again I'm only making a suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement