Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Going back quite a bit further there were ads that I think could do with an update and rerun. One that springs the mind featured a father and son, who had just passed his driving test. It showed two alternate timelines were the father drove away from the test centre with the son in the passenger seat, and the other way around. In the timeline with the father driving the car comes to a halt just as a child comes running out between two parked cars chasing a ball. Then they scroll back to show how the father spotted little feet running when he had a view under the parked car from a distance. In the other timeline the implication was that the son hit the child, but this wasn't shown. The message was for new drivers to take it easy, and continue to learn from the experience of more seasoned drivers, rather than thinking they now know all there is to know. Even if that wasn't the target message in a rerun it would be good to get home the related message that drivers should be anticipating erratic behaviour when kids are around, and driving accordingly, as some kind of counterweight to the current messaging that kids should be wearing hi-viz whenever they step outside their own door/gate and shouldn't be allowed to cross a road without an adult until they're 13.

Other info messaging about how to use yellow boxes and roundabouts could also do with being revived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Could we do this on a nationwide basis using the telly instead of a cinema, I'd suggest maybe during the toy show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Etc

why would you inflict that on the kids watching the toy show ? It doesn’t make any sense….

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Adverts will be of very limited use IMO. What is really missing is enforcement and I don't believe any advert will compensate for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Calculator123

There used to be a simple catchphrase used frequently on road safety ads and when learning to drive:

"Expect the unexpected"

It was a mantra that stayed with me. Don't hear it much anymore or the concept mentioned really. Many of the current generation of drivers never anticipate that there may be a child or a tractor around the next bend.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds nitpicky, but who contacted the indo about that? they don't know who the cyclist was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Probably wasn't an Indo story but a local paper story first. Most likely she told her family/friends and one of them rang the local paper. It's how about half or more of their stories start. I've been in two local paper stories (good news) because neighbours rang them about something I was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

She posted a video talking about it on TikTok, so the indo are basically just transcribing what she said

The Indo do seem to create stories based on social media posts so I guess this one comes as no surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Adults watch the toy show as well, at great scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

My day job involves working for a company that has a very big presence in design, operational and construction safety and, as a consequences, employs many safety professionals. Some time back I was talking to one of the seniors about advertising campaigns like this, or the RSA ones where a driver loses control and crashes through a garden or crushes a young lad into a wall. His view is that these ads are of very limited effectiveness as the target audience are the sort of drivers who regard their skills as well above average and are well able to handle speed, texting & driving etc. So these dramatic accidents are things that only happen to "lesser" drivers.

We've had a similar safety issue in construction over the years - massive overconfidence in personal skills and abilities, allied with some plain stupidity (I had one young fitter tell me he didn't need to wear safety glasses as he wore contact lenses). It's taken a lot of work but some of the very large construction and infrastructure projects in Ireland now have world-leading safety performance with millions of hours being worked without any lost-time injuries. There were two aspects of the change in construction safety that may have some relevance in the road safety sphere:

1. Personalising the impact - its not just about you being dead / injured. There are a lot of people - some of whom you may even care about - that have to deal with impact of you acting like a c0ck.
    2. Lecturing at the target audience from a podium (or a TV screen) doesn't work - you need to bring the target audience along with you by involving them, incentivising them, giving them responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭JMcL

I think an important factor in the changes in the construction sector was that the book started to be thrown at developers with shoddy on-site safety records (thinking the raft of cases against Zoe Developments in particular). As soon as the chiefs started to be held properly accountable - both personally and financially - attitudes changed quickly.

That took the state and legal system getting serious about it and unfortunately nothing will change on the roads until cr4p driving becomes as unacceptable socially as a lot of other things and serious offenders are hoisted by their own petards. With all official stakeholders bleating about GDPR at every turn I'm not hopeful of anything happening short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,203 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

They've outdone themselves this time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, yeah, but do we expect anything better?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭ARX

What happens on a construction site if somebody doesn't use protective gear? Are they removed from the site if they refuse to use it?

I'm only surprised that they didn't show him riding a bike or getting public transport like the giant loser he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

On a large site, you are as likely to see someone naked as without appropriate boots, helmet, hi vis etc.

You are not getting on without required certification/training and you won't do anything that isn't by the book.

Smaller sites, one off housing/extensions/farm buildings etc you will still see corners being cut but not a chance on the type of site @Mefistofelino was referring to.

Yes - there are consequences for both the individual and for their own employer, depending on the severity of the breach.

For large construction projects for multinational clients (data centres, biopharma, medical devices etc) there is a contractual requirement that engineers, constructors and contractors show a proven safety track record, with metrics, before they will be considered.

• Advertisement

So I guess the difference between construction safety and road safety is that in construction, you'll be out of a job in short order if you act the eejit, whereas you can act the eejit all day every day on the road without any fear of consequences.

It's almost like enforcement works or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's also curious the amount of construction company employees that are happy to act the eejit in company vehicles too. No shortage of them on most commutes. Really shows the contrast in mindset/ approach of society to road safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Coming up on Liveline Radio1 13:45, the motorist-centric RSA and that non-car folk are a burden. Folk demanding resignation of the RSA board.

One afternoon a few years ago, I happened to be riding past one of the construction sites we were managing (for a client with an extremely stringent position on safety) at finishing time and, exactly as you've noted, the standard of driving from people leaving the site was appalling - people who, inside the site fence, had an exemplary safety record.

I spoke with the construction manager the following morning and while "words were had" with some of the offenders, we had neither carrot nor stick to impact worker behaviour on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. It's a cultural and societal problem - I wouldn't automatically judge the company for the behaviour of their employees in company vehicles. What it the improvement in safety records on construction sites demonstrates is probably something for a psychology Phd student to ponder on, but it seems clear to me that people (us included) will take personal risks, even where they also risk harming others, for the mere reward of convenience or just out of laziness, where no stick is in place. That we will rail against the stick being put in place, but once in place, and once the sky doesn't fall in but in fact people's quality of life improves, we'll just adapt and get on with things as before.

Just seeing the pushback Donald Clarke got on Twitter for saying that, as a man of sixty who has never had a driver's licence, he thinks the implication that he lacks independence and is a burden is ludicrous. The pushback is mostly the usual how-dare-you-you-people-in-Dublin-argle-bargle, and fair enough, there are places where car-dependency is just a fact of life but the implication that normal people, people who don't get laughed at, drive habitually is unmistakeable, and it's in direct opposition to government and EU policy. They're not the good-driving agency.

(The RSA replied that the "burden" framing was one they got from young men in surveys. I bet they also could get some framing about what sort of magnet a car is. Might see that in the next ad they run.)

Donald Clarke is slowing turning into a bit of a contrarian, tbf. his writing can be funny at times.

Yeah, though he seemed overall like a decent enough guy in any online interactions I had with him back when I used Twitter (I stopped posting back when Musk started opining about Varadkar not liking Irish people). I guess he can be a bit prickly (and pedantic about words in a way I'd personally regard as ahistorical).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,203 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement

What is particularly disappointing about the the current RSA position is that about 2 weeks ago, they had a representative on Radio 1 talking about their research into motorbike injuries. It was interesting to hear the rep talking about the risks bikers experienced from drivers and that some of the most common situations were as a result of poor driver behaviour. There was no attempt to victim blame.

Contrast that with the RSA approach to cyclists and pedestrians where the company line is based around the continued indemnification of motorists.

RSA on bikers hit by drivers: "The driver is not paying attention and needs to be more considerate"

RSA on cyclists hit by drivers "It's probably your own fault for not wearing The Magic Jacket"

Advertisement