Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

I sat the numerical test this morning. I didn't like it at all. Too much reading in alot of them. Too many guesses in the end for my liking but see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭summersun23

MMy understanding is the pass in maths is probably slightly below 50% . That's based on previous comps tho, so could not say for certain for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 louloubb

Doubt you need 18 maths questions to pass

FFrom memory I think it was 390 marks out of 800. I think. Again of course this may be different this time . I didn't have to do written last time so could be totally different.

46.25% last year was needed, if my maths is any use :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Yeh an awful lot of re-reading the question tbh

Did anyone get the questions in relation to the monthly spend and reserve? Jesus they kicked my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 zazoo11

Do we know how they get to this figure? Are the questions weighted differently? I had my Quantity Surveyor dad who is a maths whizz do the practice test and even he only managed 21 questions in the time allotted with a couple of silly mistakes. Surely they'd struggle to get EOs if the passing score is so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭shmeee

No, only permission set for camera and it's "intermitting" images taken of you doing the tests. People worrying over so much about the room scans and opening tabs by mistake on the browser, these will not be an issue. Don't overthink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

I'm sure plenty pass, I got 770 out of 800 in the numerical last year, if everyone was failing then it'd be adjusted to make enough people pass to meet the need of staff surely.

But yeah we don't know if questions are worth different marks, just that you need 370 out of 800 of the total marks…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Agreed. More time spent reading the question than figuring out the answer. These sorts of tests have a very outdated , leaving cert feel about them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭MaryKaye79

agree about some of numerical being easy - very basic questions and for some you didn’t even need to do calculations. You could see the answer from the graph/chart

the recent HEO ones were much harder and I passed them

sjt are easy if you already work in the service, might be tough for outsiders to do

this is my 3rd time doing the same set of assessments. Passed twice before but my county barely moves ☹️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

In the practice tests, I think they said the minimum correct answers was 8 but not sure if that's the same for the real thing.

770 is a huge score, congrats! Did you achieve that by working out each answer or was there some guessing involved at the end? You must have flown through that test

excellent was definitely the right answer for a number of responses in one particular scenario

won’t say which one - not fair to those who have already done the assessments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

I worked out as much as possible yeah but there was a couple guesses at the end, I'd say I've a fairly analytical mind so I find the maths a lot easier than the more subjective situational tests that leave me feeling like a failure LOL.

Also my IT background and only being 5 years out of school helps I imagine. If it makes you feel better about your own tests I got 390 in the situational last time!

Haha, it's good to know you're human like the rest of us! I suppose the numerical is really a test of skill and speed. I always manage to get to the answer, but jaysus it can take me a little while to get there. Will be doing the numerical this evening — I've had too many nightmares this week about showing up to a test without a calculator or a pen. I want it over with!

It used to be 390 to pass maths in 2022 . It's obviously moved slightly ( all good lol) Not that that would make a huge difference I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭TheDavester

did the essay/written part - lot of waffle

I liked that one the best actually lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Larryduff2018

Oh God the verbal got to me lost concentration and then guessed the last 2 questions , I felt I had to read over n over . The situational was grand and written, just the Maths left now will do that tomorrow morning first thing when the brain is fresh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Larryduff2018

Just seen on public jobs their website may be interrupted on Wednesday 21st from 9am-11am so save the link to.the tests in case yer thinking of doing them at these times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Jarrah15

will anyone share with us that are terrified of it, what questions they asked on the written or what the scenario was. Please 🙏🏼

there’s nothing to be terrified of, it’s very straight forward. it doesn’t count towards your OOM so it’s grand

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Level playing field, don't overthink it and just do it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Dublin.85

I'm dreading it too. Done the other 3 and putting off this one until Thursday morning. Afraid I'll have to give examples from previous experience and I'm not prepared at all. In CS 2 years and feel I've nothing to bring from my current role as it's very boring. I know I just have to bite the bullet and do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Newbie12345The

Thats a relief on the OOM!

I thought i rambled a bit on it but, its fine and they have the capabilities on it…..its not too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jobhunter2024

Just finished. Found the essay and the verbal fine, the numerical a bit more challenging. But the situational. Found it tough. Odd format. Rarely thought any of the responses were excellent. Wouldnt have a clue how i got on with it tbh but not hopeful at all. Well done to all who have completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'm assuming there is no reason one can't copy the written portion into word for spell check prior to submission?

Couldn't see anything in the familiarisation saying this was against the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 Tired of waiting

I no someone that done it on the last batch and is being placed in September as EO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Poppyfield1

I started the situational test yesterday, but lost Internet connection after the 1st question. I've emailed the support line, waiting for a reply..wondering has this happened to anyone and were you allowed to continue with the tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 littlepanda111

This happened me during the situational on Saturday I just closed the browser left it for a few mins and went back in and it saved my responses and time so just continued with it.. I didn't even email support now I'm thinking should I of 🤔but it all worked fine when I went back in

Happened me, I just closed the browser down and starred again as your work is saved. Hoping that's ok but that's wat it says to do so

Post edited by louloubb on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Louise Dav

I have a stupid question but would prefer to make sure I am right before I start the written exercise, I am assuming its 300 - 500 words per answer and not 300 - 500 words for the two answers combined ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I defo wrote too much on the written and had over 500 words hopefully this doesn't impact too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 InchicoreJimmy

Did numeric and situational this morning

Numeric was broadly ok, some of the questions were very long winded and others very short and to the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Tinman53

Be careful with timing on Maths Q's unfortunately i only managed to complete 28 of the 36 questions but feel i answered all 28 correctly. All other sections were quiet generous with time allocated. Best of Luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Tinman53

@summersun23 i also ran out of time with the Maths questions. Only managed to answer 28 of the 36 but fairly confident that all 28 were correct.

I wish I had your confidence and I finished it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh the spend and reserve questions were an absolute killer. The situational one on the other hand gave waaaayyy too much time whereas the numerical not enough due to reading required. I got them all done but just about within the timeframe.

• Advertisement

I did this. Couldn't be arsed flicking back and forth. As long as you remove it before submission I can't see how it would be an issue.

Combined. They can bugger off if they were expecting 600-1000 words from me! Already took an hour and a half of my life.

There was one question on the spend/reserve at the end that was actually so simple that I was thinking this is a trick 😅

I did the written test this morning, the very same scenario as last year's, good aul' Patricia, Emma, and Sean. Happy enough with my answers.

That's the 4 completed now. If I've passed the numerical I'd be confident of a higher OOM this time round. But it's a big if. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭- bo -

Yeah, I found this with a couple of them alright. Pen and rough work paper ready for scribbling, overthinking it and expecting to do some big long-winded calculation when it ends up just being a couple of simple addition/minus sums 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 littlepanda111

Still have the written to do and I'm in a heap and advice on it would be great please? Also have the verbal still might leave that till tomorrow how did people find that I always find that tricky. Thanks. Good luck to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Dublin.85

Me too. Dreading the written. I know people can't say much about it but would love some advice. Im not sure what to make of the rest. Not great but At least you could just guess an answer but with the written you can't.

They give you a scenario of something that happens in the office, you as the EO have to write about how you would deal with it.

2nd question for me was there anything that happened in my past that helped me come to my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Auntie Annie

hi what was the scenarios on the written ones? I’m so bad at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 Tupence

Does anyone have a list/link of the last nationwide EO PAS competition in 2022 that states numbers called from PAS for position per county? Am sure I saw it somewhere on a boards thread. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement