Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The report I saw referring to fare-dodging as 'fraud' was from Germany I think.

If the alternative is pushing people towards living undocumented or in greater poverty, where they might commit more serious crimes, I think it's the best option.

I think this kind of verbal harassment, which I don't think we should tolerate at all, is necessarily even a criminal offence in Ireland.

As many of the anti-immigration 'activists' are aware we're quite lax here on a lot of appalling behavior here. A lot of behaviors only meet our criminal definitions if repeated between individuals. This includes sexual remarks but also recording people coming and going to work, making vague suggestions as to knowing where people live, showing up outside their houses with balaclavas etc.

I don't think we should tolerate any of it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Yvonne007

Well at least you are consistent.

I think it's a disgusting attitude to have but you are entitled to it.

You seem to care more about undocumented asylum seekers than you do about the native population.

I think it's in all of our interests that people coming here are treated with respect, fairness and dignity.

I think it's especially true that people who will be living here in the longer term are given every fair chance to live a happy and productive life. Nobody should be striving for a 'two-tier' society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Yvonne007

If someone is squatting by the side of a canal and has travelled through many other safe countries since they "fled from persecution" or someone intentionally destroys their documentation when they arrive in Ireland to hide their identity, I do not respect them.

If someone comes to Ireland and sexually harrassess natives because of their cultural background, I do not respect them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It's shocking yet unsurprising. And it will get worse.

The residents of these sites are often segregated according to nationality to reduce the risk of conflicts, yet we're expected to accept that they will integrate well into wider society.

The main thing to remember is that you're a racist if you have a problem with dangerous government-sanctioned shanty towns being put up overnight on your doorstep 😂

I don't think we should tolerate verbal sexual harassment regardless of the cultural background of the offender.

I think our harassment laws in general are not fit for purpose. Whether the victim is a woman minding her business walking down the street, a worker going to their job, or an asylum seeking trying to live peacefully in what would constitute a home, there are instances where people simply aren't protected as they should be.

As for 'safe' countries, there's really no such thing. The concept exists to determine some countries as generally safer than others. It all depends on the circumstances. For example, if I was walking around a UDA in Belfast area wrapped in a tri-colour shouting 'Coolock says no' I'd be quite safe. If I were to shout 'refugees are welcome' it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭engineerws

As for 'safe' countries, there's really no such thing

That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭whatever.

You yourself shared a UN report that showed the prevalence of rape, murder and violence committed by refugees was exponentially higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭star61

So we should make allowances for the behaviour of those from other cultural backgrounds. That verbal sexual harassment is .. …..not even a criminal offence. The Irish are some of the worst types of people at home & abroad and there should be no allowances made for their cultural background. I’m not feeling much love on here for The Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭jackboy

That's how the demoralising self hatred promoted by the government and their media lackies works.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

The country is unsettled and villages throughout Ireland have these undocumented migrants hanging around the streets all day causing locals stress.

Dublin city is a calamity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭whatever.

Sweden changing policy entirely because of the consequences of asylum seekers

"But also, more broadly, it’s commonly accepted that it’s good to be very restrictive and minimise asylum seeker applications in Sweden. All the major political parties have said that for almost 10 years.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/19/sweden-negative-net-immigration-figure-record-low-asylum-application-global-displacement

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,912 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another reminder - this thread is to do with Ireland's refugee policy, not immigration by other means, and not for trying to dig out incidents just because they involve foreigners

Threadbans can be expecyted if this warning is not observed

That's quite simply untrue.

More weak attempts to try portray IPAs as some sort of deviant group.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭dh1985

Document you posted doesn't refer to higher IPAs than we currently see. The figures in that are total immigration which includes people on working visas and other applicants from other European countries. Most likely Eastern Europeans around the early noughties making up the majority of the total. The total number of IPAs previously was 7000 approx. We are at three times that today. Your comparing apples and oranges. The influx of asylum seekers we are seeing this year is unprecedented. That's the simple truth.

It's logical that with large influxes from the most lawless regions of the world bring with them the social problems of those regions, especially when the strategy is to create ghettos for young men from these regions.

The open border brigade will tell you that IPs are the same as everyone else so long as it suits them to do so (e.g. asylum seeker is no more inclined towards criminality than an Irish person). But they'll also tell you that IPs are different when it suits them (sure isn't diversity is our strength!). So difference is only accepted when it is a positive. This epitomises the inconsistent and self-contradictory nonsense of the open-border Marxist ideologue (or whatever you want to call them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

Roderic said last xmas that 15000 per year is the new norm.

So in 4 years that's 60,000 people. That's going to require a lot more that the 14000 state owned accommodation places planned for being in place by 2028 unless we actually actively deport people and rapidly.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/roderic-ogorman-says-15000-asylum-seekers-per-year-will-be-new-normal-1569905.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Didnt they turn the EP site into a refugee site when it was over last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

And you have to remember that if he said 15,000 the actual number is likely 30,000.

You're right and God only knows what's going to happen in the future.

Look at the efforts so far with these tent sites. Crooksling and Newtownmountkennedy - filthy dangerous kips with gangs running about inside them (see previously referenced article for this). And there are only a few occupants in these sites compared to what they want to open in the likes of Ashbourne.

How are they going to open 30+ sites to house over a thousand men each?

Id say if you follow the money you get an idea of what the motive is.

Hotels, food, security, equipment, sundries for hygiene. Adds up especially if it goes on for 10 years or more given how our infrastructure development is miles behind. God only knows where we will be when I retire in 2052

The canal... €45,000 for fences. An assurance from Harris it won't happen again. But here we are.

The document I shared earlier gave total number of asylum arrivals for several years across the late nineties and noughties.

As other posters have verified, the peak at this time was 11.6k. I was mistaken to say it was higher then nationally, but per capita it was.

If you look online you'll find breakdowns in nationalities arriving at this time, feel free to find these sources to verify your claims it was mostly people from Eastern Europe. From my recollection there were a lot of African and middle eastern people. Quite a few from Iran and Afghanistan I think given the wars at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,071 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wow, that's inhumane.

Also the road from jobstown to Crooksling is about 4 miles and is not pedestrian friendly , you should see it now.

AS I mentioned before the morgue pub in templeogue got its name from the tram days when it dropped off bodies hit by the tram around Crooksling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't forget, there is a huge number of government funded NGO's out there with a small army of advisors. You can be sure that each IP applicant is well aware and supported in getting every single entitlement going.

They are. There is plenty of documented evidence out there around failed applications and the appeals process being one cash cow for them.

Not to mention the court cases recently regarding the state not meeting it's obligations with regard to refuge/accommodation which was funded by an NGO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭threeball

The worst thing about this is there was a group of Ukrainians living there that got shipped out to Clifden. The locals didn't have an issue with the Ukrainians but they've been given no indication of who's being moved in and there's over 100 people going in to a 23 room hotel right on the town centre.

Why not leave the people who were there and building some sort of existence alone rather than rocking the boat for the sake of it in two communities. Government policy is an absolute shìtshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭dh1985

A - has the population of the country trebled since the early 2000's that the asylum seekers per capita was greater back then. Answer is no. 4m was the population in 2002.

B - I was referring to the total inward migration listed as 47k approx that was mainly made up as Eastern Europeans. Sure Eastern Europeans weren't asylum seekers. Mainly poles.

You stated that IPAs was higher back years ago linking that article. The numbers listed in the article that are higher than the present 20-30k was for total nwar migration inot exclusive to IPAs.

Now you claim per capita it was higher, again incorrect. Fudging of numbers and lies.

Unprecented IPAs into Ireland this year. Quantitavely or per capita.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0428/1446086-back-in-poland-20-years-after-eu-accession/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't forget, at no stage are we allowed to even countenance deporting such people. The situation here is quite the opposite, this government will be at pains to defend them all equally, regardless of behaviour. In a sane society, a migrant who assaults staff or is taking drugs should face an automatic deportation order. It shouldn't even be in question. You have one shot at an IP application, if you fcuk it up, tough luck, you're on the next plane home.

Advertisement