Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know that there are a few posters on here that are pro-republican and hopefully they can answer this: given his many obvious flaws, do they believe that Trump best represents the future for all Americans or would the Rep party have been better off choosing a different candidate especially since Harris took over the Dem nomination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya it's very interesting one can't buy doritos and the other is a victim of gun violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Republicans made their bed: they had the choice of a perfectly presentable mainstream candidate in Nikki Hailey and Trump blew her away in the primaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe Hailey is happy enough to hold off until 2028 when one way or the other Trump will be out of the way and she will have a good chance of being the Republican candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not a fan of Trump's and therefore cannot answer the question directly, but I do believe he has completely reinvented the party into being the 'Trump Party' and one that doesn't have much in common with Ronald Reagan's one and the two Bushes. It's slightly surprising that so many Republican voters are on board, given that it is not the same party as even ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

All the way back to the Bush Snr era the Republican party were courting extremist Fascist elements in the country and Bush was famously caught out employing extremist groups to do canvasing for him. Its simply wrong to claim that this has not been the direction they were travelling in from way back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There may not be much left of the Republican Party in 2028.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I can’t help but notice the irony that the behaviour that empowered Trump in 15/16 - the often deeply nasty personal attacks, the bigotry, the lies, the hypocrisy…these are the things that seem to be stalling him now.

Trumps base bragged that one of his biggest strengths as a candidate was that he “wasn’t a typical politician”.

Well ain’t that the truth. So much so that he can’t even read off a teleprompter coherent policy based talking points that would actually undermine his opponent. He can’t actually do it. He’s just not interested in ‘the economy’. He’d rather talk about immigrant rapists and then spend over an hour aimlessly and ponderously blathering on in the same old boring way he has done for almost 10 years.

He could win in November but it feels like the chickens have come home to roost. The act is stale. He's stayed on the stage too long.

I personally am glad that Trump is in the driving seat as it has likely doomed the Republicans to defeat. i guarantee that with a more "moderate" candidate the Project 2025 would be a done deal and there would go America.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Derkaiser93

I commented on another thread a couple of weeks ago that I was super optimistic for Kamalas chances but I am starting to flip on that.

I think the issue on here is so many think because Trump is talking so much crap and sounding insane that it's hindering his chances. But he's always talked crap, he's said and done some incredibly deranged and incriminating things since 2016 and is a convicted felon yet he remains relatively popular. What he's saying about Kamala Walz being communists is obviously nonsense but it hits home in America. Just because most on here are sensible enough doesn't mean most in America are and I genuinely believe the population at large there lack critical thinking or proper education.

The polls are looking decent for her but the economy is what most vote on there. Most People vote with how their pocket feels. And regardless of the stats with strong employment and economic growth under Biden, most Americans feel worse off due to inflation and I think they'll vote emotionally off that and towards Trump. I hope I am wrong though

• Advertisement

strong unemployment and economic growth under Biden

That's the kind of thing Biden would've been boasting about towards the end alright…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

I suppose the question is how the Republican party gets back to the party of old, and the stark answer is that it probably can't, because it is no small part the neo-liberal economics of both parties, really, which has laid the foundation of anger upon which MAGA has been built. The anger was there, but instead of it being squarely directed at the moneyed interests which gutted the rust belt, grifters stepped in and outlayed a smorgasbord of bizarre conspiracies which were tailored to the deeply held prejudices and bigotries of those same people. The grifters do implicate the moneyed interests as part of the problem, but they also implicated a whole host of others, meaning the moneyed interests get sort of lost in the shuffle, protected behind a whole host of culture war targets that maybe represent more of a dopamine hit to attack but really just amount to a distraction.

Responsible Democrats and Republicans should work together to address the economic factors which have given the anger some tangible basis as ever a first step. If this is a fire that's decades in the making, it's going to take some time to truly put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The polls were wrong in 2016, but his rally's were rammed back then.

That's what I'm holding out hope for.

Saying that though, I will relax a bit if Harris can open up over a 5% lead in the polls, and over 10% in the swing states.

But, if he was to win, I've learned through watching him in '16, and the unexpected Brexit win, to sit back and enjoy the whole thing, before the fat lady sings. So I am.

I am being very, very entertained right now. It's quite nice seeing hope in my friends eyes in the states. It's been a while. It is very reminiscent of Obama in '08.

They're aware that Trump could still win, but they're shutting it out, getting people registered, knocking on doors etc, etc. Theyre doing their level best and theyre all behind Harris, unlike 2016 where none of them were enthused by Clinton.

One other thing. Let's see what proper A list celebrities the Dems get at the conference, compared to Kid Rock, Dana White, Hulk Hogan, Russel Brand & Tucker Carlson....

That should give them another bump as the tiktoks and Instagram posts roll out.

I would not be surprised at all to see something huge like a Beyoncé/Taylor Swift duet.

The conventions are show business, and I think the Dems have the edge over the Reps because most creative people are a diverse crowd.

Clinton was a huge mistake and shows that the Democrats are just as capable of demogoge capture.

Do you reckon they would have done bettter with Sanders?

I do. He had youthful vigour behind him and had a very different vision of America that may have clicked with more people than Trump did.

But ya know, if my aunt had balls etc.

Hard to say - the whole establishment would have gone to town on painting him a communist.

However it is never a simple two horse race - the Democrats allowed themselves to be dominated by Clinton.

Would've been an almighty gamble though. Conventional wisdom is when your opponents are running a charismatic, extreme-in-some-ways loose cannon you go with a safe-if-a-bit-dull establishment candidate so you will in theory monopolise the centre ground…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think so. Far too left wing for most of America to handle. Jeremy Corbyn offers a cautionary tale.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Supposedly a lot of pollsters have re evaluated their methods and weighting to capture Trumps support more accurately compared to 2016. Though they said that in 2020 and were still off. Hopefully they've nailed it this time.

I think 10% in swing states in the polls is unlikely to ever materialise. That would be beyond even biden in 2020. She "just" needs Wisconsen, Pennsylvania and Michigan to do it. I'm mostly worried about PY as that's the most important and it seems extremely close.

I think she needs some improved statement policies for the working class blue collar workers to help shore up those states. An unlikely ceasefire in Gaza too would likely guarantee Michigan as well.

Also , if Trump were to win I think it will be less amusing or funny than his first term. He's more twisted and bitter than even then and determined to sieze and hold power with a more far right agenda too. He also has Musk, twitter, the GOP and supreme court in his pocket to back his conspiracies and lies to get what they want.

I think she's a better chance than Clinton but she's work to do to be in the position of Biden in 2020

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

FFS, I watched that gimp laughing it up for about 5 minutes and he never actually showed the clip! 1/10, post better links.

Who is that gimp anyway.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

the polls weren’t wrong in 2016. Clinton was only ahead in the swing states she lost by numbers well inside the margin for error. People just interpreted them wrong.

Don’t get me wrong, she was a strong favourite but the polls were not “wrong”. The way people read them was wrong. The swing states she lost were a statistical tie going into the election.

Currently on a national level Harris is winning outside that margin for error. But that’s no good, she’s polling within the margin of error in Pa, Az, Ga and a couple more. So she’s marginal favourite but it’s a coin flip really.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Harris is winning outside that margin for error. But that’s no good, she’s polling within the margin of error in Pa, Az, Ga and a couple more. So she’s marginal favourite but it’s a coin flip really.

Given the type of the candidate she is, I've thought from the start there's a risk she'll end up racking up 'useless' extra votes in New York, California etc. but do very slightly worse than Biden in the Rust Belt swing states and lose by a whisker as a result…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The protesters outside this circus embarrassing the Democrats into reminding them of their support for Israel the past year - a Real issue to discuss.

Is that not why she got Walz in? To strengthen that area?

True although the polls under estimated trumps support in swing states in 2020. Biden was way clear in most of them and won a few of them by a whisker.

PA MI and WI are the key ones to win this time. Better to have as large a road as possible but she looks fairly strong in them three bar PA. And if she wins them three she should win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

It hasn't been discussed here as far as I can see (I've been away from the forum for a while) but the US Israel arms deal most likely caused some tremors in her campaign. It might be seen as a slight blip in the road but it is a divisive issue and those protesting around the DNC are of the demographic that Harris should otherwise have in the bag. The Gaza issue appears to only be gaining momentum.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭CrazyEric

This reminded me of a post a long time back

"If you could reason with Trump supporters there wouldn't be Trump supporters"

Advertisement