Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crooked Door Frame

• 19-08-2024 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hello all,

As a DIY project I've been building a "crooked" playhouse for my little fella. I'm almost at the end and have to hang a door now. In order to add some further character I made the door frame purposely crooked and now I'm looking for a little help to understand the best way to position the hinges in order to allow the door to travel in a level path and not touch the floor.

I'd initially thought - make sure the hinges, which are positioned on inside left of the door, were level, but I'm finding the bottom right corner of the door is hitting the floor as it swings inwards. The bottom of the door starts off from a perfectly level position when closed, but as the door opens it begins to move downwards as it moves inwards, eventually hitting the floor.

My hinges don't help in that they are 8" t-hinges and there's a good bit of play in them but I'm hoping there may be some way to position them so the door can maintain the bottom level and continue to stay level as it opens.

I then tried to position the hinges perpendicular to the frame they sit on (so no longer level) and the same problem occurs. Any advice would be really appreciated?

Thanks everyone!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

This might be a good place to start. Think of the left side of the door as level, but the bottom right of the door as lower than the left.

You want to pull the right side of the door upward as it swings. You can offset the bottom hinge inward so that it will swing upward. Remember though, the hinge axes need to be in line so that it'll still work.

https://www.fencingcomponents.com.au/blog/articles-1/post/your-ultimate-guide-to-rising-hinges-5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=jPGjz6-LWHo

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

This is great, thank you. I hope it'll be possible then to keep the axes of the hinges in line and still have the bottom hinge offset. At least now I know what to search for online as searches were just returning "how to correct a crooked door frame"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

It's a little exagerated here, but would this be the hinge position based on the re-position you provided Kirving, in order to align the hinges with the "slope" on the bottom of the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you want the door to swing level with the floor, the pins of the hinges need to be perpendicular to the floor (or in the case of strap hinges, the straps need to be parallel with the floor).

The hinges do not need to be in line with each other. edit: I think I've given myself a stroke thinking about this. The hinges do also need to be in line with each other. That might not be my final answer.

Post edited by Lumen on

Advertisement