Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalid pension

• 25-07-2024 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I’ve been on illness benefit for approx 2.5 years, and haven’t received a payment in approx 6 months due to it running out, but I’ve continued to provide certs during this time. It doesn’t look like I’ll be fit to return to work anytime soon as we still don’t know exactly what the problem with me is. Have had a few appointments and treatments but none have worked and between waiting lists and cancellations I’m worse now than I was 2.5 years ago.

When my illness benefit ran out the department of welfare stated they didn’t think I would qualify for invalid pension but to continue to provide certs. They’ve also wrote to me to say “based on my current medical condition” I went from providing certs every 4 weeks, to every 13 weeks and now every 26 weeks.

It’s a bit confusing to me that they don’t think my symptoms would qualify me for invalid benefit but are also extending the time between my certs (only happened when I was not due a payment).

Is it worth pursuing the invalid pension even if they stated from the start they don’t think I’d qualify?

I’ve been reluctant to apply because my GP isn’t great and every time I go it’s just how are you, same? ok. It’s just starting to get to me a bit mentally not having any sort of income. Now don’t get me wrong my husband provides for us, but not bringing anything to the table is hard for me having worked my whole life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭gipi

You have nothing to lose by applying for Invalidity Pension, all they can say is no.

The ongoing certs will maintain your prsi record - the move to 13 and 26 week certs just suits the department's admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Both Invalidity Pension & Disability Allowance are very difficult to get and they would require a diagnosed illness and medical reports.

You appear as yet to have a diagnosis & an unhelpful GP.

Disability Allowance, whilst means tested may be a better option but as explained the more medical info you have the better & your GP has to fill in a section. It would have been better to apply before your illness benefit ran out but the fact you are still submitting sick certs may help your application. Allow a minimum of 2 months for a decision.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Decisions on Invalidity Pension and Disability Allowance are currently taking 16 weeks.

It's 8 weeks for DA decisions, IP can be many months

• Registered Users Posts: 4 prettylittlething23

a delay of 16 weeks is really unfair to sick people who are getting even more anxious waiting for a reply. It’s not right!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

The applications have to be fully vetted. It is unbelievable the number of people who have no entitlement whatsoever that apply and this causes delays for the genuine applications.

So if you want to be annoyed with someone, get annoyed with the scammers. (And mostly the type of person who has never worked in their lives)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭hawthorne

What about changing your GP if you think he is not great? Another doctor might be better for you and your application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Totally agree. There's a FB page dedicated to Disability and the amount of queries asking would they qualify for all sorts of ailments is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You can only apply for IP if you've been working. It's PRSI based.

A little Harsh & infact nothing whatsoever to do with delays.

Along with evidence that a illness or disability will preclude a person being able to work again, a claimant must have worked & paid contributions to be considered or eligible for IP.

Disability Allowance is Means Tested & contributions are not relevant but like IP substantial medical evidence & reports are required. GP's are not easily persuaded to sign off a patient as being entitled to DA.

It may have been the case historically DA was awarded without medical evidence or a thouragh check of that evidence but not over the past 10 years with a very high percentage of refusal for both DA & IP.

Waiting times for decisions have actually decreased substantially over the past few years.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree.

Many very genuine cases are taking 14-16 weeks (was far longer) because of a large number of applicants who try and get it when not qualified.

Let's park the having to have paid contributions aside (worked to Qualify) for IP, it is a known fact waiting times for a decision have reduced drastically, at one stage it was up to 26 weeks for both DA & IP applications.

I've known people to get a refusal within 4 weeks, mainly because the medical evidence doesn't support their claim. Refusals/Declines are infact very quick. Appeals /Reviews are the main reason why applications take so long as they go to an appeals process independent of those who initially process applications, some appeals require oral hearings.

To start with GP'S have to support the application & if their initial reports lean towards any Doubt, the application refused almost immediately. It is easy to define a physical disability, say loss of a limb, not so easy with mental health or neurological issues.

Another reason for delays is not filling out forms correctly or supplying relevant documentation, medical or otherwise.

I seriously doubt many chancers would apply for either DA or IP & if they did, they are weeded out pretty quickly & not the reason for waiting times which as I've explained have reduced drastically.

I agree it has reduced dramatically and mostly because they introduced a kind of triage system that weeded out the very substantial number of non qualifying claims and also now catches those who forget to fill in the forms properly at an early stage. Great to see it is now 4 weeks that they get rejected in. They were the primary cause of the "normal" time frames of 20+ weeks

But its still 12-16 weeks in relation to many applications due to mental health illness as those applications need more of an opinion due to the complex nature of mental health and most are validated by more senior managers.

My own application was approved in 7 weeks in 2023. Admittedly, I ticked all the boxes & submitted reams of Medical evidence, insuring anything asked for was attached with application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 prettylittlething23

yeah I suppose chancers hoping to get lucky . Should be dumped and not given a reply!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

it’s important to remember that not everyone has an aptitude for form filling or has the resourcefulness to find out where to get help with filling in their application. People may not be aware of the extent of information they need to supply and have just filled in basic information themselves on the back of a gp or public health nurse advising them to apply. It’s important that these people get a fair hearing. I know a family where the daughter is on DA and her father has extensive care needs. The public health nurse made a grave error by telling her to fill in that she looked after her dad 17.5 hours a week. The nurse wrongly thought she had to fill in half the hours as she was entitled to half rate carers only. In reality she provides 24-7 care to her dad. I tried to convince her to follow it up but they are saying they can stick their carers allowance and they will continue to manage as they have been without it. I know it’s a different payment but it’s important that people in genuine need don’t fall through the cracks.

Did you set up an account just to post this nonsense 🙄

Advertisement