Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples on 107K can’t afford a home

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not been done on a national scale, but there are multiple studies on localised effects.

It's not going to bring prices down 30% though, but it will at least stop them rising or potentially put some slight downward pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

For anyone hoping for a quick fix by policy, it's not going to happen. We are decades away from catching up with demand as it is at the moment. The only thing that will make houses affordable is a big recession in Ireland like the last time and a huge number of people leave the country.

As a twenty something buyer in Ireland in the 00s, I was priced out of the market near where I live and work. I was house sharing with a few friends which was grand at the time. Recession came and the house I wanted to buy dropped from 400k to 220k, fortunately I had a good broker friend and a solid job and I was able to get a mortgage. The estate agent nearly took my hand off, in hindsight I should have offered less and I still think I would have got it, it was a new build.

If that recession didn't happen I wouldn't have been able to buy on my own, I wasn't in a solid enough relationship until years afterwards. And when I did get into one, she already owned a house too so I don't know if I would have ever bought. On the flip side, we are currently very tentatively looking at trading up to a bigger house with a a big garden but the cost gap is bigger than it ever was. Not a bad situation to be in but we could potentially release a property, maybe 2, in the affordable range for people to buy on salaries of 107k combined but nothing there for us unless we go to absolutely mad money.

In a growing economy, with high wage and materials cost, foreign investment being continually targeted and achieved, plus immigration in all its forms, I just cannot see how supply is going to be increased to fix the problem.

The political parties constantly give press releases about increased output plans, but miss targets consistently and are falling further and further behind.

Apologies for doom mongering but economics is called the dismal science for a reason. A recession worked in my particular circumstances last time, and it's going to need to happen again for many.

Competing with governments, universities, global corporations, investment funds and other buyers is a recipe for only one thing - prices to continue increasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well that's just pointless then isn't it and not what I had asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Same, I got on the property ladder 2013, would never have gotten on it without the recession.

At the time the recession was all doom and gloom but getting on the ladder was a very lucky break for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 GreenPanda99

Its is skewed though because you could be earning a very low or even no salary and get a 3 bed house. So a far below average salary gets some people that house removing the average earners ability to buy the average priced house from the average salary earners.

• Advertisement

MY sister and her boyfriend just bought a 1 bed apartment in Swords for €220k (It was on the market for €200k but they ended up paying 220k). The place is in a nice area and its 55sqm. One of the biggest 1 bed apartments ive seen in Ireland.

For the last 2 years they were aiming for the 3 bed semi but decided it was moving away from them. They had 25 or 30k i think they had saved, and went for the 1 bed apartment. They were paying €1850 in rent €800pm for their mortgage.

Now they have an extra €1000 per month to save. They can decorate however they like, and buy their own stuff. And they will have equity in their own pockets as they pay down the mortgage. I they ever need to in the future, they can trade up. If they dont need to they can stay as they are. Their rent wont be going up and the place is not going to be sold from under them.

Main thing is they are €1000pm better off in outgoings straight away. They have property tax to pay and €1050pa to the apartment MC and insurance, but thats only a fraction of what they are saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Also, it's not something that people in their 20/30's think about when buying a home, but a mortgage will be cleared in 25/30 years and owners have no worries about paying rent from a pension. People who think renting for life is a great idea don't seem to consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Read back on the question I asked originally then ask yourself does this answer it?

Then ask yourself, ok the answer is to match or exceed demand, the ask yourself how you do that with the alleged costs of building in this country.

Yes, and this is an issue with the market in Ireland and probably other countries as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nobody thinks renting for life is a great idea, they just don't have the ability to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For anyone hoping for a quick fix by policy, it's not going to happen. We are decades away from catching up with demand as it is at the moment. The only thing that will make houses affordable is a big recession in Ireland like the last time and a huge number of people leave the country.

Housing is affordable, for those who can afford it which is quite a sizeable cohort. If that wasn't true, the market would be in decline.

The Supply and Demand model was mentioned several times in relation to housing.

The Demand cohorts are 2. People who can afford a home and people who can't. i.e. those who qualify for strict mortgage guidelines and those who don't.

The supply side will cater for those who can afford it, not those who can't. Why would they?

House prices historically will only go one direction in this country apart from a couple of blips. A recession may well bring housing prices down but it will only go up again, so that is hardly sustainable.

If you take SFs policy of homes at 300k, how many realistically from the 'can't afford it cohort' could afford that?

The only credible way to get those into homes now and in the future is to link their payments relative to their earnings.

The State is already the largest landlord in the Country, it will get a hell of a lot of bigger if we were to start subsidising not just developers but mortgages at that scale. Not to mention the cost.

How many people would buy a house under these conditions knowing if they ever decided to sell up the Government would take a significant chunk of the sale price.

That's before we even get to the acute lack of trades people to build these actual homes that people roaring for.

You are right though, there is no one quick fix policy.

Many do, I've read lots of posts on boards over the past few years from people who thought renting was preferable to having a mortgage but I think the huge increase in rents has made a lot of people re-think that position. Rents can be increased and will never end, but at least a mortgage has a finish date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Whether there is a rent increase or not, renting for life isnt a good idea in Ireland because there is no chance anybody would be able to afford their rent by virtue of pension alone.

Someone in that position would almost certianly end up in social housing upon retirement. Its a ticking time bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭DataDude

Great that it worked out for you but you’re generalising to the wider population when it just doesn’t hold true.

When the last recession happened, sure prices dropped, but far far fewer people were able to buy their first homes than were doing so just before hand, or are doing so today.

Recessions are disastrous for homeownership across the population. They’re brilliant for a small few who pick up a house on the cheap.

Post edited by DataDude on

Im the same. Always thought renting was better for me. Im thinking of following my sister now and going for a 1 bed apartment because everything else is out of range at this point and even 1 beds are starting to drift further from me. Got my deposit saved already and know how much the bank will give me. Its not enough for anything big, but it will get me a 1 bed apartment in a nice area or a small 2 bed in a dump. I like the one my sister bought so i'll look for something similar in that area i think. Time to get out of renting while i still can. Might be my last chance.

Renting is fine until you retire. The chances of anyone 40 or below retiring with a pension pot large enough to pay even todays rent prices in Dublin is slim to zero.

Good luck with the buying search.

Im coming round to that way of thinking now after years of being happy renting and having fairly low rent. Now that my current landlord is selling I think its time to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Renting is not fine until you retire - with rent costs for properties far exceeding the equivalent mortgage cost. Unlike rent, the mortgage cost will eventually be paid off, with income possibilities for rent-a-room along the way etc.. There's really no comparison.

I agree with your points. But the biggest impactor is retirement, as the income stream will not be there to pay the rent post retirement.

By fine I mean it is affordable, up until you retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A lot more expense in owning a house than servicing a mortgage. That's before you even consider you take on a massive heap of debt over decades which is open to whims of variation in repayment.

The idea that if you manage to secure a mortgage and purchase a home you are on the pigs back is quite remedial.

There is pros and cons to both owning and renting.

One of the fear mongering tactics that inflated the housing bubble was to call people who rented idiots who were throwing their money away.

It's starting to happen again.

Not saying anyone will be on the pigs back just because they choose to buy over long-term renting. Renting is fine if it's only for a few years but long-term doesn't make sense imo. Why not use your money towards owning your own home rather than putting your money into someone else's pocket?

Just saw that the repayments for single FTB, 200k over 30 years with €50k pa (3240pm net) are less than 1000pm. Rents are generally more expensive. With a deposit, that mortgage would cover a 225k second-hand property and there are 84 results of 1&2 beds under 225k in dublin on myhome. They may not appeal for one reason or another but everyone I know started off in a property that wasn't 100% what they wanted, either location, or size, or outside space was a compromise, but they all traded up after 5+ years to something more suitable. Its never been easy to buy a property and there is help available now for FTB and new builds. TBF, getting the deposit together can be difficult especially if paying rent.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd be going for the nicer area if I was you, can't put a price on having nice neighbours.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭hometruths

I'm not disputing the idea that for many, even most, it is harder to buy in a recession than a boom, but it is mistake to disregard the part that narrative and sentiment played in the last crash.

I was one of the ones that got lucky in timing of a convergence of factors in 2012, but many of my contemporaries in good secure jobs who could comfortably afford to buy didn't do so, because rent was very cheap, stock was plentiful and the narrative was it will take 30 years to fill all the houses and prices to recover.

When renting is cheaper than a mortgage and there is no rush to buy out of panic because you think it will always be this easy, people hold off from buying.

The reverse is equally true as we see now.

The similarity in both cases is that fundamentally it is sentiment that is driving the decision, more so than simple economics.

Market sentiment can change very quickly as we saw both in 07/08 and in 14/15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

If they live in Ireland and they think renting for life is a good idea rather than something they don't have a choice about at present....then they are likely some class of a moron to put it mildly…I suppose they could be an outlier with very low rent that allows them to save but in general renting is not a good bet in this country long term.

Tbh Id be of the opinion thinking critically is not their strong suit if they are not one of the exceptions that proves the rule.....perhaps they are influenced by US media they are consuming where its perhaps not a bad idea in some states etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

That is utter nonsense. In Ireland we've always had an obsession with home ownership, it's things like not having a deposit or haven't met the right person yet that stopped people buying. People who can pay a mortgage themselves do not choose to pay a landlords mortgage instead

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iecrawfc

I see the same issues in Australia, too much demand(pushed up by record high immigration and tax incentives to investors), too little supply as builders go out of business, also complicated by mainly Chinese money coming into the market. It's a societal mess as current young people and those starting families have no hope of entering the market unless its 70Kms from the urban centres...I think the western government have to change course on supply solutions and demand solutions or right wing populists will be in power everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The expenses involved in owning a house will never amount to what you will pay in rent every month until you die.
    What are these "whims" of variation in repayment? You can fix for 10 years of more if you so desired.
    Are they any more whimsical than rent increases?
    Once your mortgage is paid off you will have ~€2k/month to deal with even the worst money pit of houses.

Sure there are Pros and Cons to both, but to suggest that they balance each other out is disingenuous and just wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement