Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf vs Ioniq vs ?

• 20-08-2024 6:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

We've to to replace our second runaround car, the first is a diesel 7 seater.

It'll have to do the usual school, town and sports runs, about 20k a year, with 3 children in the back, 1-2 on booster seats. A lot of short spins but it would be good if it could cover 150km in winter for longer sports trips, anything more would be a bonus.

As usual, we're looking for a simple to use (can do tech but not into it), low maintenance, reliable car, that will be worth something in a few years time, but that said, we'll probably hold onto it.

Budget is c.15k but could be stretched towards 20k, if there was an enticing alternative, ie a newer car that offered something more.

I'm sending herself off to call to a few main dealers today just to sit inside a few but I expect to be buying off donedeal incl private.

I see a private garage, EV4U, about an hour away in Tipperary, have what seems to be reasonably good value in a Leaf and Ioniq for sale, pity about the lack of colour. Also we don't have a local ev repair shop that I know of.

Apart from what I look up or read here I have no experience of EVs and we want to avoid buying known issues.

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭joe1303l

At €15K, this Ioniq would be a decent car that should fit the bill. Otherwise I’d consider an e-Golf as an alternative but it can be difficult to find a cheap one. I would avoid a Leaf due to Chademo/Resale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/37590413

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If a dealer isn't going to clean it's cars to take pictures what else are they not doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

Did you read the full description and look at all the photos of the car you linked?

Yes, previously had damage. Photos indicating extent of same provided by seller. Priced appropriately. Obviously some sort of part time trader as he has others car for sale. Do you expect a 2022 EV straight out of a showroom for €15K ?

I wouldn’t say EV4U is any kind of a dealer and more likely a private individual buying and selling a few cars for cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's a very honest Ad, 15K would have you in a lovely car in fairness, they have a great reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I checked the core on cro and there is no registered company or trading name with that - so I'd agree with you.

If I was buying I would probably pay a deposit on it and get a mechanic to have a look at the suspension etc. on the corner that had previous damage just to be 100% happy. This car is too new to have had an NCT yet and it’s a private seller/part time trader so you’ll have no comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

What ages are the kids? Or maybe a better question is what size are there seats? We have an ioniq and have a 5 year old and 8 year old both in booster seats with a back on them, and I don't think one in the middle will be having a good time. Leaf was similar sized too so you'd have the same problem. Definitely bring the seats with you if your going looking at them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You won't get two booster seats and another child in the back of an Ioniq or Leaf, end of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thanks, 12, 9, and 4.

The 9 yo will probably be coming out of the one with the back soon. I was hoping to put the 4 yo in the middle.

Thanksfor all the suggestions and advice so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭deepimpact

That Ioniq listed earlier is a Premium SE model, it's the top spec. Was never sold here afaik. Any ones I've seen are imports, like that one.

Would be going nowhere near that without a full engineers report on the damage and receipts for the repairs done. Even then, I'd get it checked independently.

I spotted that one when I was looking for an Ioniq a couple of weeks ago. I don't recall it having those details about the repairs at that stage, although I could be wrong.

They're lovely cars. Make sure you get a SOH check on the battery and look into the 60k km battery coolant change. The 38kWh thread here has some great information and there are people here that were of great help to me +cough+ @witnessmenow

Some lovely 2020 Premium SEs from NI on usedcarsni if you have a look. Two went up recently that should be eligible for 0 VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

the photo of it on axle stands in his drive doesnt fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Certainly better than most, especially dealers. At least he's saying and showing that the car was damaged and is now fixed. A phone call to your insurance company giving the reg would tell you what insurance status it has. 20 minutes inspecting that corner would tell you soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭zg3409

If child of 4 has isofix booster type seats, most cars don't have isofix for middle position. It will probably be fine to use non isofix with 3 point belt but not ideal. May be ok for short trips.

I would want a 40kWh leaf or 28kWh ioniq for 160km trips but that may still be tight at times. Ideally stretch your budget to 20k and get a car with a 64kWh battery. It will be far more suitable and better value for money than a car with half the size battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I still don't think the Ioniq is the right car for the use case due to size, but I don't know what size of a car you'd have to move to solve it.

If your still interested in the Ioniq, I linked a couple up north in another thread yesterday that are similar money to that one on DD but without the interesting history (presumably!?) and a lot less mileage.

The 2022 one is a lower spec than the DD one, but the 2021 one is the same spec. The difference between the two specs isn't huge, but there are a couple of nice things in it (Leather seats, vented seats, electric front seats, front parking sensors to name a few)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

These cars are so too small for 3 kids and baby/child seats. Kids become teens, and have friends, etc..

Get a petrol MPV something like the Jap import Tourans. I've downsized from a MPV to an EV and theres no way I'd do it with a young family like you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Op has a 7 seater diesel as the primary vehicle.

☀️

• Advertisement

"...It'll have to do the usual school, town and sports runs, about 20k a year, with 3 children in the back, 1-2 on booster seats…"

Doesn't matter if he has 10 other cars your not fitting the gang into most of these EVs and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭allinthehead

The Ioniq and leaf would be too small I agree but they hardly need an Mpv. It's just 3 kids.

☀️

Just 3 kids lol.

You'll get into an ID3 or MG at 15-20k

http://www.adverts.ie/34630166

http://www.adverts.ie/34472558

http://www.adverts.ie/33070901

I doubt if the rear seat bench is any wider in any of those anyway ?

What EV with a 64kWh battery are you suggesting ?

I wouldn’t be concerned if it’s just a bolt on repair. Let a mechanic judge the quality of the work upon inspection. Obviously second hand parts have been used to repair based on the silver replacement wing in the photo. Better that than a cheap spurious wing that doesn’t fit properly and will be susceptible to rust. Seller appears to be quite transparent with regard to the repair, panel gaps and paint look okay and it’s a cheap car for what it is.

Definitely more room than the other EVs mentioned if you're getting in to tie belts and what not.

I prefer an EV but personally space would be my priority with 3 kids. Even as second car..

Unlikely the 60K Km’s coolant change would have been carried out unless it had to be done as part of the crash damage repair. It only has 56K Km’s on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭deepimpact

Agreed, joe, it's an additional expense that would be due by the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input, plenty food for thought.

To update, my good wife looked at a few cars today, Leaf, Ioniq, 208 and 2008, and of those the 2008 was by far her favourite, including for rear space and comfort, they others were all to small as advised here. It's actually reasonably well priced also which brings it very close to the budget.

We'll have a look at the VWs nextbefore we go buying.

We won't be going for the repaired 22 ioniq.

Advertisement