Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Man D24 is rocking. Crazy winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Casement is reporting winds of nearly 90km/h the past 2 hours but well out on its own with those reports. Dublin airport reporting max 65 and the other eastern stations topping out around 60. I always feel that the first strong windy spell after the spring/summer lull feels much worse than it is, particularly when the trees are still in leaf etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Windy but dry

No sign of the 100% rain met Eireann predicted

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just after driving home and noticeably strong wind/gusts on southern section of M50.

Did/walked The Gobbins this morning (near Larne) and luckily got most of it done before the heavier rain set in. Very wet on drive back all the way through NI until the border. Sunny and breezy back home in Greystones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That looks like a cool solution to the bray/greystones cliff walk closed problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Wilder than most of last winters storms here in Dublin 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Last full week of the kids summer holidays, and it looks like a total write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Thunder87

Aside from the wind it's turned out a much better day that expected in Dublin, rain never amounted to more then some drizzle this morning and there's decent sunny spells for the past few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Kutebride

THe wind in Meath.....warn wind 19⁰. Evening walk in the tshirt. Didn't realise wind was forecast. Thought wind to rise on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

One of my neighbours just called to my door holding a small flower container of mine that she found blowing around in the middle of the road. The flowers miraculously escaped as they were held together in a root-ball and lying in the middle of my driveway.

Haven't seen such strong winds for a long time. Very humid and warm, around 18c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Billcarson

How much is this month running above average so far regarding temperatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭compsys

About 1 to 1.2º above average in the wider Dublin area and the south east to around bang on average the further West you go.

14 days have been above 20º already in Dublin. Not so great in the west and north west in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bit of a squall line moving over Castlebar at the minute. Surprised no lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Billcarson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

I don't know how anyone in Dublin can possible think this hasn't been a good August.

The stats are there, above normal temperatures, barely any rain and 14 out of 18 days above 20 degrees! What more do you want, it's Ireland not the med.

No it hasn't been sunny all time but good compared to June and July. Its a good change from normal crap weather we usually get every August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's been unpredictable, poorly forecast and cloudy. No proper block of sunny days to put a pool out for kids for example. Murky 19-21c misery.

Lots of people I speak to feel the same.

You would be in the minority believing it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

15 to16 degrees IS warm for Atlantic waters . Bit cooler than it has been the last couple of years , but I have never swam in anything higher than 18 in Ireland .

Super-Blue moon at the Bull wall in Clontarf tonight .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Hairypoppins

At the the time of posting it wasn't raining in South West Dublin, it was warm in hazy sunshine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Last August Dublin Airport received 119mm of rainfall. So far this August it's 8.1mm. It's a good August for the Dubs.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sea temp in Galway hit 16.9 yesterday. It's 16.7 today. Perfect really. August and September are the best months for sea swimming. The regulars would feel those temps are downright hot.

I have huge admiration for the hardy folks that swim all year round. It would be 6-8C in February. I tried it one year but I couldn't hack it. Too warm blooded or too soft!!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I wasn't in very deep water and it was sunny with a strong but warm wind ...just lovely . Mayo .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭OldRio

Biblical showers last night around this part of Leitrim. Woke up on a number of occasions with the sound of rain bouncing off the roof.

Sunshine 10C at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭glightning

I've a feeling early September will bring at least a short settled spell and reasonable temps. There is some consensus in the models that HP will try to move closer, and the jet stream will change orientation and weaken a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Hockeyed down at 2am this morning, but bright enough this morning. "Chilly" enough for my fleece hoodie however. Hopefully we'll have one warm spell before the 6 months of wind and rain come along.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big showers here in Kerry overnight and a very heavy shower just gone through , temp dropped from a high of 14,6C right down to 12.7C. Sun out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

why do I keep hearing ‘blue’ moon when it isn’t!
    A blue moon is the second full moon in a calendar month and there’s only one full moon in August 2024.

I remember a few years ago two full moons in January, none in February and two in March, quite incredible and obviously a very rare occurrence.

PS. gardeners get your twine and bamboo canes ready and protect your plants from Ernesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Rugbyf565

It’s nice and sunny no doubt but the strong winds kind of ruins it for me. Just give me one more sunny, calm, humid day before summer ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭squarecircles

JAYSUSSSSSS….

MONDAY and TUESDAY of next week (26th-27th) could become quite unsettled with an interval of heavy rain possible. It will stay rather unsettled all week but with less rainfall in total until perhaps around weekend of 31 August and 1 September (this being almost two weeks out, could change of course; warmer air is going to try to make a resurgence around then but current guidance suggests it only gets into parts of southern Britain briefly, and not into Ireland, where a frontal system will be feeding off the energy of the warm air further east).

Advertisement