Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Fridge from Currys

• 20-08-2024 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭

Hello

We bought a fridge/freezer from Currys online at the beginning of September 2022 (so just under 2 years old) and last week both the fridge and the freezer stopped working. Lights were all on, I could set temperature, door alarm would go off if left open etc

Fridge is listed as having a 3 year guarentee:

https://www.currys.ie/products/hisense-pureflat-rf540n4af1-fridge-freezer-black-steel-10192300.html

I followed whatever troubleshooting steps I could find online and nothing helped. So I rang the currys helpline and tried to follow the options and the most applicable one is booking a repair, the only two options at that point is if the device is less than 12 months old press 1, if you have device insurance press 2. No option to speak to operator or anything.

I then emailed currys with the issue, the responded after a few days looking for our address and order number and then after another few days they have replied this morning (1 week after the original email) telling us to contact hisense (the manufacturer) to organize a repair.

From a comsumer rights point of view, it should be currys arranging the repair of this? Or is going directly to hisense just less hassle? (which i assume is currys goal). Any suggestions what approach you'd take?

It's a pain to not have the fridge, but we do have a backup fridge in the garage that we are using (that's 15 years old and still working fine!) so we aren't completely stuck without one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Did you try selecting the booking a repair then under 12 months and see what they say there. Did you register the fridge for the warranty when you bought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Didn't follow through on that option yet, when I was ringing them I was at work and I didn't have the serial number of the fridge which it mentions to have when you click the option, so I went down the email route instead.

As far as im aware we didn't register for any warranty. Have done so on "10 year parts warranty" on other appliances, but didn't see it mentioned anywhere about registering for one with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I suppose you'll have to pay carriage costs i if delivered to manufacturers depot in Ireland... whether that refundable I don't know ....more than likely they'd organise a service engineer to call to your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

Officially you would deal with Currys. They then contact Hisense. Hisense then contact them back with a date for repair, Currys contact you back. If the date does not suit you, you tell currys, they tell hisense, hisense arrange another date, they tell currys, currys tell you and the roundabout continues. You'd be lucky to get it repaired in a month

OR

You contact Hisense directly, they get back to you with repair date options and repair agent (most likely a local guy) pops to you and repairs it and its working again.

I had an issue with a Samsung FF a few years back. I didn't even bother calling the shop. It was fixed the same week i called Samsung and is still working today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There are two ways to deal with this:

• Claim under your rights as a consumer. These are enshrined in law. To do this, you go through Currys. You don't mention any warranty, you're claiming under your statutory rights
    • Claim under the warranty. This method is tied to exactly what is in the warranty, which means you need to find out what that is. It could be a manufacturer's warranty, or it could be a retailer one, or even a third-party one (e.g. a repair company). You will only be entitled to what is covered in the warranty

Don't try to mix and match. Pick one route and go with it. If you don't get satisfaction through that, then you can try the other way, but keep a clean separation between them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Deal with Currys. If you cut them out of the loop they won't want to know you if the fridge can't be fixed.

Call them, call into them, they should be well used to dealing with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We had a problem with a four year old Zanussi fridge freezer from DID where the freezer went on the blink. They sent out an engineer, who told us that the motor was working overtime from day 1 because it wasn't installed with proper ventilation. DID had fitted it for is originally.
    DID were very good, if a little slow. They gave us full credit for the original cost of the unit against a replacement. We made sure it has proper ventilation under the cabinet this time round.

I wouldn't get hung up on who you need to call out the engineer. Legally, DID are definitely on the hook for your consumer rights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

OP do not go through Hisense the contract of sale is with Curry’s they need to deal with. Also under no circumstances should you pay any moneys towards carriage or repairs.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Thanks for the replies folks.

Decided I'd get onto to Hisense just to see what their response would be. Replied back basically immediately saying they'd send an engineer out and it would be free of charge as it's still within 2 year warranty. (I'm unsure what 3 year guarantee Curry's have listed, but hopefully something I don't need to worry about)

Got contacted by a third party repair place shortly after saying there would be someone out in the morning.

I know technically Curry's should be sorting this out, but jeez there is some difference in the response times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

Near precisely what I said 😀😀😀

Some people will want you to stick it to the man, and the result would be delays of weeks.

Common sense approach and your fridge is back working in 48 hours.

• Advertisement

Yup for sure, but unfortunately the repair guy said the fridge was goosed (I wasn't here so I didn't hear what he said was wrong). He said he'd report back and he assumed they'd be in touch, So waiting to hear back from Hisense or Curry's I guess

Advertisement