Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The roads are getting so busy compared to twenty years ago. Driving through anything larger than a small town is getting rage inducing. Really if the population hits pre famine levels it's going to be insane.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Could you share the rest of that quote please? Did it not mention other groups of offenders too?

Again this is nothing more than another quite disgusting attempt to generalise. The report I shared was based on conditions in one refugee camp at a particular period. If this report said they all spoke Klingon and loved acid-jazz it would be equally incorrect to try apply these findings to refugees worldwide.

What did you make of the Australian statistics I shared earlier which had Irish people as the group most likely to commit violent crimes?

That's quite clearly directed at what I wrote but you and I both know that shows no real resemblance to what I actually said.

I have to ask why?

What do you get out of that?

There seems to be an attempt to portray Irish people in some kind of victim role? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

When our own government are destroying the country with a ridiculous AS plan then yes we are the actual victims.

We are paying for it now

We are going to pick up the tab in the future

We will then be expected to pick up the tab when it all goes wrong

Post edited by amykl_1987 on

Yeah very much so. Government seem very keen to spend lavishly on this and the lack of deportations or the political will to do anything about the refused applications is nuts. It will come back to bite us.

We have major problems now infrastructure wise and are falling ever further behind so no way they can financially justify the seemingly endless accommodating of AS in any available hotel or tent city.

And when economy tanks again, the fall out will be huge.

OGorman seems to think 15000 a year is normal and we should just accept it. I hope he is gone after the GE But he has done a lot of damage and whoever comes next will just carry it on as it will likely be FF FG carve up

• Advertisement

And the governments inability to deal with this issue properly is going to create even bigger issues down the line

We need mass deportations. And fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Parts of Ireland are turning into a third world kip. Import the third world… you know the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a cheery morning post 😂

Impossible to argue with those facts. Dramatic much?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Whats the point of one arm of our government giving out tents and another arm spending a fortune putting up barriers to stop tents when they are now just putting the tents behind the barriers?

O'Gorman is gone very soon.

Everything he does is approved by cabinet. Everything.

He is not a coalition leader.

Who will people scapegoat after the election in November? FFG are playing you.

And McEntee won't be Justice Minister in the new govt

• Advertisement

Relevance??

Would a one parent family policy work?

Good weather for blight...

Jaysus, this thread.

There’s probably other places you can look if you want a cheery morning post. The mess that has been made is pretty depressing

And no it’s not dramatic. It was in response to the post about rats and drains being clogged with toilet paper in Mount street

I will continue to read this thread but thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

What's interesting with these 'concerned about population' narratives is that they are almost always set in the context of immigration. At no point do they ever really acknowledge that the international flow of migration also involves emigration of Irish people from Ireland — and in almost all cases the "concerned about the population" crowd will also tend to hold the views that despite the terrifying existential threat apparently posed by population growth, they would have no problem seeing Irish migrants return home.

Ultimately, while there are always perfectly rational arguments that can be made as to how population increases can pose issues, the population arguments you get on here seem to simply be an argument against immigration dressed up as a population concern.

I wasn’t suggesting you don’t contribute. I was suggesting that this thread might not be the place for cheery morning posts. The whole situation is pretty depressing

Yep I see right through it. I wish people could be more direct and honest.

Concern about 3rd world drains on Mount Street when Dublin Bay is a septic tank of pollution and unfit for bathing. And has been for years. Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He is the green party leader and therefore a coalition leader. You are correct though that everything he does is approved by cabinet. They are all in this together. If anyone from government comes out to say we must make it harder like Harris did before the local and European elections , they are only saying it to get votes. They are all to blame and if we had a half decent opposition these parties should be looking at being wiped out in the next election but instead 2 of the 3 will be back in government.

Fair point. He is leader a wet week when Dail is in recess and election is 12 weeks away. All of the decisions were made under implicit approval of the 3 unwise men.

We don't have a half decent opposition. That does bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sekiro

You are doing great work here.

I find myself worrying about the situation but it's good to know that everything is perfectly fine and it's just a bunch of racists who are making up these issues as a way to express racism.

After all, as @MegamanBoo pointed out, the Irish are the group most likely to commit violent crimes in Australia so everything in Ireland is 100% fine.

No problems here. Everything is absolutely fine.

Just think how amazing the future will be with all of the IPAs working and paying taxes and living in peace and harmony. Raising families and paying the pensions of all the useless Irish oldies who can't work anymore. It's going to be so wonderful. Silly racists just don't want the country to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yeah that crowd…..imagine not having a problem with see emigrant Irish return home, that crowd!

• Advertisement

Yes, statistics from the period in question tell us Irish people were the most violent in Australia.

Personally I'd think that unrepresentative of Irish people in general and it would make me wonder what factors lead to such a statistical picture. I'd assume it was due to demographic overrepresentation whereby young people in their twenties are more likely to be involved in violence, and a lot of young Irish people in this age group move to Australia.

Maybe some people have to draw simplistic conclusions from statistics like this and conclude that Irish people are violent, Iraqi's are sexual offenders etc but in an age where there's a lot of misleading statistics available online, these people really have to learn the basics of things like causation and correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Ah yes, there we go — not content with simply claiming that everyone calls them racist, we now enter the advanced stages of the Boards immigration threads victim complex where you now just say that someone is calling you racist despite them not having ever said it or suggested it.

Didn't I say that it was a concern about immigration rather than a concern about population? Is being concerned about immigration racist now? I thought it was the mean old blue-haired lefty NGO activists who claimed that, and not the bastions of common sense and realism who inhabit these threads?

I must say — it's all getting terribly confusing on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

And in August 2024 there is well over 120,000 now

Are there?

In March of this year there had been 104k arrivals but more seemed to be leaving than arriving.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/03/29/more-ukrainian-refugees-now-leaving-state-accommodation-than-entering-the-country/

Does anyone have a figure on how many Ukrainian refugees are currently in the state?

Or IPAs for that matter? I was estimating 140k IPAs currently based on arrivals over the past twenty years but I can't actually find a figure. It does seem than in 2019 there were only 7,800 refugees actually living here. Someone earlier in the thread had a figure that only 11k had applied for the asylum amnesty in 2022. Also the number of family reunification arrivals is far lower than I expected, only a couple of hundred approved in 2019 and some of these were from applications made in previous years.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-sdg10/irelandsunsdgs-goal10reducedinequalities2021/migration/#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20UNHCR%20Global,living%20in%20Ireland%20in%202019.

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/SUSTAT102.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Plenty 💶💶💶for Sheila and her cohorts, move em around like livestock and watch the guys in the boardrooms high-five one another, money racket simple as that.. Though wait I heard primetime are doing a special on it in 2035 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sekiro

What are you on about? I am pro-immigration. I believe we should open the borders and let anyone who wants to come here come here. Then use the money we bring in from taxes to house anyone who needs a home.

What's the confusion? The way I see it is by allowing thousands of men from much poorer nations to seek a better life here we can massively grow our economy and the taxes that these guys will pay will end up being used to support our ageing population as they retire.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I see many people sleeping in tents etc and I wonder "do we really have the resources to support this kind of population increase". After all, giving our guests a tent and telling them to be on their way doesn't really seem like the warmest of welcomes and kind of makes it look like we don't have room and don't have any opportunities to offer.

Thankfully we have people like yourself to point out that these "concerns" are all fake and it's just nonsense talk from racist people. Just as @MegamanBoo said, if Irish people are causing trouble in Australia then people shouldn't worry about the situation in Ireland.

So next time I am in Dublin city center and I see groups of men just hanging around and eyeballing women walking by I can rest easy because the Irish over in Australia are causing all kinds of problems and maybe it's actually racist to notice things anyway. If anything we need to keep on bringing more and more single men from all over the world to keep on making things better in Ireland.

I can't understand how anyone could not be in favor of allowing thousands of single, undocumented, males to enter the country. Don't people realise how great Ireland is going to be in a few decades when they've all settled in and are contributing to our culture and our economy. It's going to be wonderful for all of us!

I am congratulating you both on your ability to deflect away from fake racist concerns about sustainability and integration and crime so that people like myself can realise that there is nothing to worry about and that it's all going to be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

FF missed a trick that could've had them top dog again imo. What they should have done was - Around the end of Q2 2023, made very subtle but continuous public mutterings about what the justice minister should be doing (it's known that FF are unhappy with McEntee, who isn't in fairness) - By the end of Q3 2023 these public comments increase and any subtlety goes out the window.

Q4 2023 has budget, recess, Christmas hols etc, so a lot going on - Start of Q1 2024 they get very vocal and start to personally attack both Justice and Integration ministers and their Dept's, whilst simultaneously indicating that they [FF] will sort it out - Feb 2024, withdraw from the coalition citing no confidence in McEntee/O'Gorman, collapse the Govt and a GE called for the end of March 24 with FF becoming the lead party.

But they blew it so that's all irrelevant

We simply can't have another 5 years of this - The country will be destroyed beyond all recognition - If FG gets re-elected, they will take it as an endorsement of their policies by the electorate and continue as is or even increase it claiming they have a mandate from the people to do so

We all know that there's no credible opposition party but don't despair - In the next GE we can actually do something and it's not a fait au complet for FFG - We should cram the Dáil to the rafters with independants leading to a Dáil the likes of which has never been seen before in the history of the state - It will be unprecedented, it will be absolute chaos, it will be like herding cats down the M50 - Perfection

Depending on exactly the numbers involved, the big 2 will scramble about trying to cobble together some sort of a coalition desperately trying to cling to power - I know the fear exists that maybe your independent of choice will be tempted by offers of positions etc, but the key to this is to have too many in there. The whole plan revolves on instability and also with the possibility of a new election being held, due to the inability to form a working Govt or, the fact that any coalition cobbled together could easily collapse within 2 years, thus keeping the independents on their toes, mindful that they haven't reached the pension time served yet and they better keep the promises they made pre election

This strategy will put a rocket up the swiss of the big 2 as the electorate deliver a message that cannot be ignored (unlike the many, many polls)

Watch the current players in the Govt now, suddenly find new ways of actually tackling/solving the immigration/fake asylum seekers issues if that happened - International obligations will be turfed right out the window

I should add, the SocDems (as it stands now) have some sort of potential of having a say in Govt formation which would be a disaster as they're as bad as the greens - they must never get that chance

To sum up: Don't think about putting a Govt in for 5 years - Think about giving a massive kicking to FG for what they've done/failed to do and the utter contempt they've shown to the people — the rest will work itself out

Every independant in has the potential of taking a FG/GP/PBP/SD/L/FF/SF out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I agree 100% but I fear the current crowd believe theres not enough people affected by the current influx of asylum seekers and will just vote as they always have. I live in south Dublin, house paid for, no asylum seekers housed in the area so can't say I'm affected. However a lot of my younger work colleagues tell me how difficult it is to get housing. I have other colleagues who commute from towns outside Dublin who talk about the pressure on local schools and GP services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭rgossip30

People born in Ireland make up approx 78% of the population are not regarded as foreign so the numbers will be higher . The prevalence of HIV in other countries is relevant when those migrants come here . Those migrants infected here are most likely to be from other migrants .

https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/hiv-in-ireland/

• ''Among the diagnoses in 2018, 42% were previously diagnosed with HIV in another country.
    • 89% of people who had a previous HIV diagnoses transferred their HIV care from abroad to Ireland.''

https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/hiv-in-ireland/

'' The increase in total HIV diagnoses is largely influenced by increased migration to Ireland in 2022,.In 2022, there was a large increase (68%) in the overall number of diagnoses, compared to pre-pandemic year 2019. This is largely attributable to an increase in diagnoses among people with a previous diagnosis outside Ireland. Among this group, 84% reported their region of birth to be Latin America and Caribbean (32%), sub-Saharan Africa (27%) or Eastern Europe (25%). 

''

https://www.hpsc.ie/news/newsarchive/2023newsarchive/title-23563-en.html

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Yvonne007

That isn't what the statistics show. It shows that IF an Irish person commited a crime, it was more likely to be a violent crime. Not that Irish people ARE more likely to commit a violent crime.

Advertisement