Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

They beat Croatia u21's a couple months ago 3-2, I'll take that at any level. Right after 7-0 v San Marino, and before a 2-2 with England's u20's. That's 12 scored and 4 conceded in the 3 matches played in 2024. Looks fun to me. I'm not sure any team in the world would be talking about firing their manager after that, even the England u20's are absolutely stacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

As per Fabrizio:

Liverpool have agreed personal terms with Giorgi Mamardashvili. He’s keen on the move even spending one or two years elsewhere on loan.

Surely Kelleher sees the writing on the wall and it out of there asap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I was going by the eye test when I watched them in those qualifiers. I’d be moving on from Jim.

You seem to have an issue with the quote function?

Just didn't think it was necessarily to quote?

It's cool, that's your opinion, I've made my point too, I couldn't disagree more

I couldn’t agree less.

It’s not necessary to quote, I was wondering if you had an issue there, all cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Considering we've scored 19 goals already this campaign or 9 in four matches if you want to remove the San Marino matches and scored 5 in two recent friendlies I think we're doing fairly well with our forwards particularly with the likes of Armstrong and Emakhu scoring regularly. And that's not including Vata and Oko-Flex who are chipping in well. Now there's a long way to go with these players at club level before they should be appearing at senior international level but at U-21 level they're developing nicely. The U-21s are in good shape atm and you want to change the manager?? No thanks, maybe at the end of the campaign if they collapse in the matches in between but not before then.

I disagreeed with your opinion and continue to disagree with it for now. If you weren't happy with my disagreement and suggestions of hyperbole then fair enough. But please do keep up the passive aggressiveness of your posting, it's quite amusing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Only reason I'd suggest O'Shea is because they might be viewing him as a possible successor to Hallgrimsson. Even if it is a slim possibility.

Would view the U21s job as a chance for someone to impress and possibly push on for the senior job. Now I'd take Crawford in a heartbeat over O'Shea at senior level. Overall I think he's done good but there's been moments where subs and tactics has cost us. We really should have qualified for the last U21s euros.

Now if Crawford is still in charge come 2025 I've no real issue with it. But similar when Kenny left the role I wouldn't mind them appointing someone that could step up to the seniors. Though it's probably wishful thinking given the FAI haven't two pennies to rub together.

Passive/aggressive suggestions of hyperbole. Amusing.

When I watched them they played puke football. U21s and other youth teams are chiefly about creating confident attacking players in my view. The best ones get pulled away for the senior squad.

I’d say thanks Jim and good luck but the “ah sure it’ll do” attitude is well ingrained by the looks and sounds of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Have you watched them this campaign yet? Because they've certainly haven't played puke football nor did they much at the end of the last campaign bar the playoffs against Israel where in the away leg they did play defensively. This was probably the right call also to an extent as that Israeli side was good and got to the semi finals of the Euros albeit with a softish quarter final draw.

Time for Kelleher to put his big boy pants on and push for a move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’d expect it’s the other way around, that they’re buying a long term option because Kelleher wants to go, getting this deal done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Delighted that Celtic made Idah permanent....could be good for his confidence...he struggled in the premiership and I think he wasn't good enough for the championship either...think he'll do well in the SPL now his position is clear

He’s definitely good enough but had got stuck in a rut at Norwich for whatever reasons. The league he’s playing in might not be great in terms of strength in depth but he’s at a bigger club now with bigger expectations, playing with better players than he has ever played with and playing for a better manager than he has ever played with before.

He’ll be playing Champions League as well and extra games this season in that competition this season. He won’t always be first pick striker but he’ll get loads of game time and will start loads of games. It’s a great opportunity for Adam and brilliant news for Ireland if he can continue to rise to the challenge. Under Rodgers he could improve further on his game as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

seems Smallbone will get his PL shot this year. Hes been moved from #16 to #8 in their numbers so he's obviously sticking around to start the season anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mod:

@TheCitizen @kksaints

Less of the bickering. Attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Szmodics on his way to Ipswich. Bid accepted. Good move for him.

Sammie Szmodics having his medical tomorrow with Ipswich.

Szmodics move to Ipswich officially done for £10M.

• Advertisement

Jon Walters must be getting commission for signing Irish players as Stoke eye up a move for Tom Cannon. Leicester won't let him leave first until they make some signings as he's the only fit CF they've got atm.

If he does move to Stoke then they'd be a team to keep an eye on this season having three of our better U21s players in Moran, Lawal, and possibly Cannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Kelleher will be stuck on the Liverpool bench for as long as the club keeps that £20-25 million price tag over him or if he forces his way out.

He seems happy to stay there, if he wanted out he had plenty of time to push for a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Szmodics came on for his debut as a second half sub against Liverpool.

Doherty and Smallbone start in the Premier.

While O'Mahoney, Jake O'Brien, Travers, and Omobamidele are all subs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jack Taylor and Myers-Harness who are Irish also came off the bench for Ipswich. Liam Delap also started but we all know the story with him so may never play for Ireland.

All three Irish players have now played in the top five tiers of English football after today's debuts. For Jack Taylor he's now played in the top six tiers of English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good to see Marcus Harness coming on against Liverpool. We're strong enough in those wide forward areas now, but still good to see another of our lads in the PL.

BBC sport reporting that Luton have had a £10M bid accepted for Mark McGuinness. Could be a move that pushes him closer to an Ireland call up.

Wolves the latest team to be linked with a move for Dara O'Shea.

Links are probably click bait but Aaron Connolly has been linked with Celtic. Can't see it happening as they've got Mikey Johnston to fill that squad option role. Even if MJ leaves can't see Celtic bringing a personality like AC to the club.

Safe to assume Cannon has no future at Leicester under Cooper. Would you even want to play for a manager whose trying to highlight we gotta play Jamie cause we've no fit striker while you're fit and available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Will be interesting to see what happens with Ferguson at Brighton this season. They have now signed Rutter from Leeds for £40m so Ferguson could find himself down the pecking order…hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Kasey McAteer had an English flag next to his name on Sky when he came on for Leicester. Looked decent when he came on, can see him forcing himself into the starting team. Be interesting to see if he’s mentioned when the next Ireland squad is named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is this the same Cannon we had to cap quickly a year ago because of his imminent England call up for the Euros???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Rutter plays in a different position to Ferguson. He's either a number 10 or can play on the wing. He's poor as a 9 so he won't be challenging Ferguson for that position.

The flag probably won't change until he gets an official call up. O'Shea talked about him when interim manager but believe he was injured. So would assume if fit he'd get a call up with O'Shea still involved.

No but I guess the issue is Rutter at 10 means Joao Pedro moves forward to being a striker full time now competing, along with Welbeck for the sole striker role.

• Advertisement

Doubt anyone here said he needs to be capped asap because England might bring him to the Euros. Any talk was always England were open to bringing him into their U21s.

And on his form at the end of the 22/23 season he did deserve a call up that summer. So wouldn't have been a call up for the sake of call up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbh the main issue holding Ferguson back is fitness the last 12 months or so.

Mark McGuinness has officially signed for Luton. Reported fee is meant to be £10M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Neil Lennon sacked by Rapid Bucharest after 6 matches. Hard to believe he was a serious candidate for the ROI job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Exactly. On evidence from the last 12 months, Joao Pedro is the best goal scorer at the club so good chance he plays 9. They still have Enciso and March to come back from injury in forward areas as well…Buonnanote gone on loan to Leicester.

• Advertisement

He has only played youth and U21 level for Ireland. A lot of money for a player who has only played in the English Championship or League 1, must be highly rated though and seems to be some inflation in the transfer market with clubs not affected by ffp restrictions.

I'd say most of the fee is add ons. Arsenal also had a sell on clause so imagine this added a couple of mill to his fee.

Think if Luton are challenging again this season then this move could get him a senior call up. Cardiff as a club aren't going anywhere.

My kingdom for anything other than a center back!

20 years ago it was a laugh and a joke chanting a team of Gary Breens. Now days you could fill the starting XI up with mostly CBs.

Some twitter talk that Mikey Johnston is to have a medical today ahead of a proposed move to Burnley.

O'Shea is certainly heading for the Prem again anyway. Burnley signed Humphries on loan yesterday and are set to sign Worrall today.

God knows where McNally ends up but he needs to get out of Burnley fast, just never gunna get games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭TokTik

Hal is looking for a bastard for our midfield apparently. Exactly what we need. Maybe Molumby was auditioning in pre-season lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Harry arter was probably the last bastard we had. He’s a similar level of player to Molumby….average.

Edit- McClean and Coleman have a bit of bastard about them to be fair. McClean made the best of what he had, Coleman imo easily our best player of the past 15 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Very encouraging to hear Hallgrímsson talk about playing to our strengths, finding what we're good at, and utilising that as effectively as possible.

We're going to lose to England, but how we implement a game plan will be fascinating to see.

John Egan training with Burnley.

• Advertisement
Advertisement