Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

H ae a Sturdy Grande lamb feeder. Scotch lambs of about 20kg. Lambs seem to find it difficult to access feed. There are a number of bars hanging loosely, can these be removed? The lambs are weaned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Yes,easy to do,just remove the main pin that hold the vertical bars and the whole lot comes away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭joe35

Talking to a farmer from Armagh today. He was saying Scottish farmers are coming over buying lambs. There's a lack of lamb in the UK due to poor weather at lambing time.

Hopefully will take from Northern lambs being slaughtered in the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Country lad

still no record book for sheep improvment scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 8 allM

I rang yesterday , end of this month for the record book

• Advertisement

thanks for letting me know as was going to phone again next week

Got mine back Monday,along with a letter stating I'm getting a 50% penalty for not doing the genotyped ram task for last year,I bought the ram but didn't see the section in the book to submit the info.I explained what happened and re submitted the book with all the paperwork to the sis department in the offices in Portlaoise,so hopefully they will see it as a genuine mistake

Really can't wait till all the ewes and everything with them is gone out of here in the next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tileman

are u getting out of sheep? If so will u have to repay the sheep scheme money.

Yea get out in August,No won't have to pay it according to scheme rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would mule ewes weaned a week naturally go in lamb again in early September for February lambing?

• Advertisement

That would be a disaster IMHO,.would want 6 weeks away from there lambs at least and decent grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Do you want lambs in February or no lambs in February but wondering if the ram needs to be kept away?

Whichever way you want it the opposite is what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If in good condition and you have plenty grass for them once dried off id imagine they should be cycling fine and go in lamb by then.thats 6 weeks away yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Have a lamb with fluid in one of its ears, must have got a bang or something.

Can that fluid be lanced out or removed with a syringe or will it just fade away in time?

Thanks.

What bolus do peop find best for ewes pre breeding ?

got sheep welfare record book today just wondering what the story about the extra 8 euro payment and we going to get another record book to record the extra actions we ate taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Young95

worming lambs on Monday and I was going to dose them with the levacide low volume yellow drench , anyone use this dose before ? And will it kill all types of worms just not fluke ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭limo_100

Hi lads have a 4.5 acre field reseeded and added 1kg of fodder rape to the acre. I will be getting sheep to graze it over the winter I have never had sheep but was thinking of buying store lambs and grazing them on it or either lease it out to a sheep farmer. Field is fully sheep fenced so hoping they do a good job in thickening up the sward. Has anyone ever done this before would 30 lambs be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Jimbo789

I went to the vets today to order Enzovax and Toxovax for hoggets, but they said only Toxovax was available this year.

Has anyone been able to get Enzovax recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I got it from our vet , but it is scarce, they had it ordered for us even though we didn't ask them to.

I didn't think it was so scarce,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭eire23

https://www.farmacy.co.uk/inmeva-please-order-both-doses-together/p7855

First year vaccinating for Enzo here. Have a good few to do and it's a balls that's it's not available. The vet is recommending the above, it's new. Two shots like the heptavac p and a booster ever year.

Had a few abort this year and as tempting as it might be to skip it and wait for enzovax, the thought of a full blown abortion storm would fairly get rid of that thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lambs are doing very well this year.

Main difference is:

1. I vaccinated for Orf
    2. I made a plan for worm dosing and mineral dosing and stuck to it!
    3. Bought my own topper and have kept up a good rotation. Grass is in great condition for them

Normally I'd have a good few runts after weaning but very few now. I havnt needed to buy any nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What was the mineral dose plan?

When did you start topping, and what height is it set at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭arctictree

Worm dose, 2 weeks, mineral dose, 2 weeks and then cobalt dose. Then back to the worm dose 2 weeks later.

Not sure what height the topper is at but it does cut fairly tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tileman

anyone got a good place for doing fec samples. The place I normally use isn’t doing it now due to staff shortages or so they say,

I’m tv opposite. Lambs very poor. Have dosed them with a white and yellow drench but still scourge, have them on cobalt every 2 weeks but are not thriving,

Thanks

I mowed all the paddocks in june and none since, I think I should've kept topping after every grazing, grass quality is deteriorating even though the ewes are grazing the paddocks after the lambs.

It's important to be doing fec now, we did a FEC for a neighbour this morning, the result was 920 after a clear dose three weeks ago, it obviously didnt work at all. Lambs have lost a months thrive

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭clonagh

Do lads generally pool samples or do individual samples?

• Advertisement

Pooling the samples works alright, provided you take similar marble sized samples from each lamb and sample 20% of the flock. 20 samples is enough for a flock of over 100

The more lambs sampled the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

used to pool, but based on advise from a vet now provide individual samples and let the vet/lab pool them. Find the results bit more consistent I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭jfh

Teaser ram ram let off with my ewes, is it 16 days, take him away and let the ram off?

It's vital to take the same size sample from each lamb alright. My OH uses a little plastic spoon, maybe 2ml.

We had a stupid one during the week, two samples came from a farmer, one from ram lambs and another from ewe lambs.

Ram lambs were 920 and ewe lambs were 320. I was talking to the owner today and asked what the history was.

They were in the same group, they went out and put the samples from each gender in separate bags as they were picking them up.

I think someone needs a lesson on how to do a sample, you really couldn't make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Had similar two years ago, split the ewe and ram lambs into two separate batches and 5 days later tested and the ram lambs came back 3 times higher than the ewe lambs, were both run together till then in the same grazing area, the vet that done the test said she had seen this happen a couple of times and had no answer. Lambs were dosed as per count and thrived away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone else's lambs very scuttery at the moment - it's literally running out of them at the minute. Charolais cross lambs.

There on nice fresh grass that was topped about a month ago.

I dosed them with Cydectin this evening so hopefully that will dry them up.

Would have been dosed with Zerofen up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You could have 2 problems there - wormer resistance and a sward lacking in herbal elements, low DM, heavy wet covers etc.

We regularily test scoury lambs seperately when we're testing the lambs for worms and they're no different than clean lambs.

They seem to dry up themselves after a few days .

We got 158 today for lambs, unfortunately only averaged 7.38/kg in the group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Friend of mine is after buying a purebred ram lamb. He isn't registered but for some scheme or another he is in he needs stars.. is there anyway of getting the ram DNA'ed or finding out what stars he has. I know nothing about sheep so any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Ram has to be scheme eligible on day of purchase to qualify and won’t be accepted if SIS is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Sheep breeder thanks for the reply..

• Advertisement

Anyone any experience with suftex rams? Looking to put something with Suffolk x mule ewes to breed a more speckled faced lamb. Or anyoother suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭148multi

Not too many lambs in the marts fed enough to make it, there seems to be great demand for well fed lambs.

Can a dose dry-up a lamb without it actually killing the worms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Who2

hi, I’ve a few pedigree Suffolk ewe lambs here that are well grown but not pushed that I was considering putting an easy lambing ram with.

I like the look of the borris type sheep and I was half tempted to try a Cheviot ram on, I know it’s the wrong way round but I thought it might be a nice type for a commercial ewe. Has anyone tried it or any other suggestions of a cross that might work without bursting them their first year round.

We're doing an interesting trial here, when we're weighing we divide the lambs into two groups according to thrive,

Under 200gm/day and over 200gms a day since the last weighing.

The lower thrivers have a lot higher worm counts and require dosing, and the faster thrivers haven't required dosing.

about half the lambs haven't required dosing since the nemo dose

That is interesting. How often do you FEC test?

We're weighing every fortnight now so we test then. most of the slow thrivers improve for the next weighing. some do very well, probably due to compensatory growth

These guys have been preaching it for the last few years

https://www.cotteragritech.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

yes I done that cross here years ago, the ewes weren’t pb but weren’t far off it.
    pros;

best mothers to mind lambs and had good milk.
    lambs done very well from them.

they seemed very clean

if crossed with a Suffolk again the lambs had a nice speckle to them-the ewe lambs went well in the mart.
    cons;

they were fierce strong big sheep, you’d want to be in tip top shape yourself to handle them, and they were a touch flighty.
    overall I think they were the best ewes we had here for years, and it only happened by accident when we got a Cheviot ram as part payment for something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Who2

thanks for that. We’re they easy lambed on strong ewe lambs say 60-70kg. That I don’t want to burst either. I was just trying to get some return and a few nice type replacements. Is there any other cross that I should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Scotch ram lambs 30kg on meal. Eating about 600 gr per day. Good cover of flesh. Would it be better to sell now or feed on. Getting very expensive on meal

• Advertisement
Advertisement