Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

yes i know how the college system works. no system is perfect . its historically incorrect to say all elections in the states are 50/50. reagan, clinton practically walked in both terms same with Bush. I do agree this one is 50/50 though. in my own opinion the trial outcome will have a negligible effect on the outcome of this election, Everyone knows what trump is and getting a suspended sentence with a fine isnt going to shift the neddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

Donald Trump has dropped the ball in an astronomical way. The stars aligned in such a preposterous way which should have meant he would be inevitable, but his ego and the manner in which he approaches his opposition has really let him down. All he had to do was stick to the script.

Kamala Harris is a terrible alternative but it's the only two options the American public have.

Totally depressing election cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Repo101

What data source are you using to present your assertion as fact? Most of the gains for Harris since her announcement fall within the margin of error. Please don’t treat polling data as if it’s an absolute reflection of reality.

You should also recall what the polls were indicating in 2016 and 2020, which is typical for polling data. Polls are complex and don't support the conclusion you're making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Yeah, almost like she wasn't actually the president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Hmmm...

Not seeing it personally. Is it safe to assume you're a republican?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Clinton won in 1992 with 43% of the vote (Perot screwed Bush there) , but had almost 200 more EC votes than Bush.

He won in 1996 with 49% of the vote

Bush won the 2000 election by literally a few hundred votes in Florida,

In 2004 (the last time a Republican won the popular vote) he won with 50.7% of the vote.

So always really narrow margins and when you dig in to the details the victories come down to very very narrow wins in 5 or 6 States - The EC vote total isn't a measure of the "size" of the victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I know, right? I mean it's not like the economic circumstances of the country was different when they took office, that they were dealing with a post-Covid economy, inflation was only starting and their policies throughout have been in terms of managing rising inflation, and now that inflation is falling they can implement different policies to address the effect the on-going cost of living issues.

They expect people to believe that policies have to adapt, change and evolve based on the circumstances? Nah. I think Trump has the right idea. Just say he'll fix the economy without giving any details as to how, and claim it'll be the best economy ever. Who needs details when you have "Drill Baby Drill"?

Nope. I am Irish. I have no allegeance to either of the main American political parties. Just an interest in politics. I can see that some people are treating it as kind of like how the OH treats a football match. If you aren't cheering for one team, you must be supporting the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Rawr

The fact that Donnie is in it at all makes the election cycle depressing. The fact that he still even has a bit of chance makes the election cycle depressing.

Harris is the only viable option frankly. The alternative is the rise of a facist state built arond the fragile ego of one pathetic lonely old man. (As you can guess…I don't like Donnie)

But what makes Harris "terrible" in your mind? She may have potentially the failings of a typical Corporate Democrat…but why is she "terrible"? Bonus points if you tell us without using the word "Communist" or alluding to the lack of sit down interviews.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Multiple sources showing that she is picking up support across all the reported demographics - Not leading in all , but she is polling better than Biden was across all segments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/17/upshot/poll-harris-trump-sun-belt.html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DtCAcUi-gQi-imKgXR4N_NJkgLbwBEYA/edit?gid=1169815653#gid=1169815653

And what sources are you providing for your assertion??

• Advertisement

I think that she is only popular because of peoples rabit hatred towards Donald Trump. I don't think the majority of people actively like her, they just support her because she isn't "him".

Her campaign for election the last time around showed how unpopular she was in her own party. She has been pretty invisible as vice president and really don't feel she meritted the position of vice president. The border crisis hasn't improved under her. I personally find her demeanour abrasive. I don't think she has shown herself to be confident or shown the ability to lead.

These are just personal opinions and I know that people will disagree but that's ok. I'm glad you asked rather than attacked.

If it is all about a "Not Trump" vote then why is she polling better than Biden was?

Are you saying people hated Biden more than they hated Trump?

All VP's are invisible to be fair and while I'd agree her performance in the 2020 primary cycle was fairly insipid I think she has clearly developed significantly since then.

Views on style/demeanour are very subjective so how you feel is how you feel . I'd disagree, I don't see anything particularly abrasive about her , certainly not in comparison to any US female executives in positions of high authority that I have interacted with professionally. They all have a very similar vibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Biden largely won in 2020 for the exact same reason though; it was more an anti-Trump vote for a lot of people rather than being in any way excited for Joe Biden to be President. And he was largely invisible as Obama's VP for two terms as Harris has been for him. VP's generally aren't so publicly visible as the President.

But yes, Harris will pick up a lot of votes where people don't like her, they just like Trump a whole lot less. The same thing benefitted Trump in 2016 where people hated Hillary so either didn't vote or voted for Trump largely just because he was such an unknown in terms of how he'd do politically. Trump no longer has that benefit because he's an absolute known quantity at this stage, and there will certainly be a strong anti-Trump vote.

She is polling better than biden quite simply because she isn't openly showing symptoms of cognitive decline in the manner biden was.

People hate Trump, but the state that biden was in, it would have been impossible to vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd actually say my personal opinion of Harris has shifted since she became the candidate. A lot of Hillary Clinton's issue was she simply wasn't very likable. I thought Harris would have a similar issue but she and Walz have come across as a great combo. Biden was not motivating voters to go out and vote IMHO but Harris has entirely reenergized the campaign so I'd say you're underestimating how liked she actually is.

Perhaps I am. No doubt she has sparked some life into the party, but I'm not convinced it's because she is liked. Biden was in such bad shape, I think they could have picked literally anyone (except Clinton perhaps) and they would have had the same energising effect.

If you were actually dying of starvation and someone offered you a plain ham sandwich, it would feel like a michelin star meal. That's the way I see Kamala.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And a simple way of viewing it is that Biden very much so brought US politics back into the sphere of sanity. And I'd say the promise of Harris doing so with a slightly more progressive agenda is far more positive than the other option.

Perhaps if you read to the end of the sentence it would have become clearer. She isn't openly showing symptoms of cognitve decline in the manner Biden was.

Inferring that Biden was openly showing symptoms of cognitive decline, and Kamala isn't.

There is absolutely no need to throw around abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

It could be argued that Kamala is not in cognitive decline as this was her baseline all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The RTE coverage of the convention circus is particularly nauseating this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭firemansam4

A lot of people are saying this election will be won from undecided voters, mostly in the swing states.

But I would suggest that voter turnout on either side of the political divide is also going to play a huge part.

Harris taking over from Biden may very well have invigorated the blue vote, many who seen Biden as a liability may well be more likely to go out and vote for Harris now.

Likewise, Trumps continued antics, the usual insults, slurs, claiming fake crowds, project 2025. Also the raft of court appearances coming up may put off moderate Republicans to go out and vote for him. At least it is something to think about and may very well decide this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,561 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Harris is now 4/5 favorite

"Abrasive demeanour" and the whole Border thing that the GOP exhasperated themselves by blocking bills at Donnie's behest.

Thank you for actually fulfilling my request by not just leaning into the whole "Commie" thing, I actually appriciate it. I don't agree with you, but it's at least something.

Now, let's put the whole Trump Derangement Syndrome to one side, and consider people's attitudes to him. He is pretty hated / disliked by an awful lot of people, not only in the States, but around the world. It's not an unfounded feeling, since he has fostered and supported the very worst in society to come out in support racism & hatred of the "other". He has dramatically lowered the bar usually expected for public office and all manner destructive individuals have come forward to try to do that same as him. One such example (George Santos) just got jailed for massive fraud after having a record short tenure in Congress for being nothing but a fraudster. These may have existed pre-Trump, but it was Donnie who normalised it for them. He is hated, but that hatred is built from his actions, that hatred is rational and not "rabid".

Some of Harris' popularity might be down to the simple fact that she isn't Trump, but as pointed out by others her inclusion into the race has generated a degree of excitment that wasn't even there for Biden in 2020. People not only want to vote against Trump, but they also want to vote for her.

Harris isn't perfect, not by a long shot, but she is far and beyond a better option for America than Trump ever was. There are certainly better options out there too, but a win for Harris will at least make those options possible in future. A win for Trump may see him try to remove those options for a generation….or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,561 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No matter what result, I take it that Trump , the psycho won’t accept any defeat here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,701 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Biden was not showing signs of cognitive decline, he was simply getting old. Words were getting elusive, he was getting tired more easily. That is not cognitive decline, it happens to most people as they get into their 80s. They know what they want to say but the words do not obey. Cognitive decline is (among other things) not being aware of what you are trying to say.

I agree that it was better that he stepped down. Whatever the reason for the problems, he was becoming less able to cope with the pressures of the job. It is the very fact that he was able to do it graciously, and supporting his potential successor that points up the difference between him and Trump, Trump could not even lose an election graciously, much less be aware that he is no longer competent.

Of course not , of more concern is the not insignificant number of useful idiots installed at the district/county level across places like Georgia that will do the same and gum up the process.

It's a safe bet….the question is what form would that refusal would take?

Last time he was in the Oval Office, so he tried (and failed) to use the levers of office to prevent him from being unseated. In the end he resorted to sicking the Gravy Seals onto the Capitol to try to just end Democracy. That didn't work either.

This time around….? Hard to know. Will he flee the country? Will he try Jan 6.2? Or will he just try to repeat what he did 4 years ago in the hope that he can sit on the GOP ticket for another 4 years to try again in 2028, while the Q-Anon loons make up stuff about Trump being re-installed as President any day now.

Really hard to guess at this time. We'll have to see what state he's in by November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I don’t think the blame lies on RTÉ hereas the whole thing is nonsense, I’ve only seen AOC and the guy in the wheelchair, cringe.

Advertisement