Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Plenty 💶💶💶for Sheila and her cohorts, move em around like livestock and watch the guys in the boardrooms high-five one another, money racket simple as that.. Though wait I heard primetime are doing a special on it in 2035 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sekiro

What are you on about? I am pro-immigration. I believe we should open the borders and let anyone who wants to come here come here. Then use the money we bring in from taxes to house anyone who needs a home.

What's the confusion? The way I see it is by allowing thousands of men from much poorer nations to seek a better life here we can massively grow our economy and the taxes that these guys will pay will end up being used to support our ageing population as they retire.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I see many people sleeping in tents etc and I wonder "do we really have the resources to support this kind of population increase". After all, giving our guests a tent and telling them to be on their way doesn't really seem like the warmest of welcomes and kind of makes it look like we don't have room and don't have any opportunities to offer.

Thankfully we have people like yourself to point out that these "concerns" are all fake and it's just nonsense talk from racist people. Just as @MegamanBoo said, if Irish people are causing trouble in Australia then people shouldn't worry about the situation in Ireland.

So next time I am in Dublin city center and I see groups of men just hanging around and eyeballing women walking by I can rest easy because the Irish over in Australia are causing all kinds of problems and maybe it's actually racist to notice things anyway. If anything we need to keep on bringing more and more single men from all over the world to keep on making things better in Ireland.

I can't understand how anyone could not be in favor of allowing thousands of single, undocumented, males to enter the country. Don't people realise how great Ireland is going to be in a few decades when they've all settled in and are contributing to our culture and our economy. It's going to be wonderful for all of us!

I am congratulating you both on your ability to deflect away from fake racist concerns about sustainability and integration and crime so that people like myself can realise that there is nothing to worry about and that it's all going to be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

FF missed a trick that could've had them top dog again imo. What they should have done was - Around the end of Q2 2023, made very subtle but continuous public mutterings about what the justice minister should be doing (it's known that FF are unhappy with McEntee, who isn't in fairness) - By the end of Q3 2023 these public comments increase and any subtlety goes out the window.

Q4 2023 has budget, recess, Christmas hols etc, so a lot going on - Start of Q1 2024 they get very vocal and start to personally attack both Justice and Integration ministers and their Dept's, whilst simultaneously indicating that they [FF] will sort it out - Feb 2024, withdraw from the coalition citing no confidence in McEntee/O'Gorman, collapse the Govt and a GE called for the end of March 24 with FF becoming the lead party.

But they blew it so that's all irrelevant

We simply can't have another 5 years of this - The country will be destroyed beyond all recognition - If FG gets re-elected, they will take it as an endorsement of their policies by the electorate and continue as is or even increase it claiming they have a mandate from the people to do so

We all know that there's no credible opposition party but don't despair - In the next GE we can actually do something and it's not a fait au complet for FFG - We should cram the Dáil to the rafters with independants leading to a Dáil the likes of which has never been seen before in the history of the state - It will be unprecedented, it will be absolute chaos, it will be like herding cats down the M50 - Perfection

Depending on exactly the numbers involved, the big 2 will scramble about trying to cobble together some sort of a coalition desperately trying to cling to power - I know the fear exists that maybe your independent of choice will be tempted by offers of positions etc, but the key to this is to have too many in there. The whole plan revolves on instability and also with the possibility of a new election being held, due to the inability to form a working Govt or, the fact that any coalition cobbled together could easily collapse within 2 years, thus keeping the independents on their toes, mindful that they haven't reached the pension time served yet and they better keep the promises they made pre election

This strategy will put a rocket up the swiss of the big 2 as the electorate deliver a message that cannot be ignored (unlike the many, many polls)

Watch the current players in the Govt now, suddenly find new ways of actually tackling/solving the immigration/fake asylum seekers issues if that happened - International obligations will be turfed right out the window

I should add, the SocDems (as it stands now) have some sort of potential of having a say in Govt formation which would be a disaster as they're as bad as the greens - they must never get that chance

To sum up: Don't think about putting a Govt in for 5 years - Think about giving a massive kicking to FG for what they've done/failed to do and the utter contempt they've shown to the people — the rest will work itself out

Every independant in has the potential of taking a FG/GP/PBP/SD/L/FF/SF out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I agree 100% but I fear the current crowd believe theres not enough people affected by the current influx of asylum seekers and will just vote as they always have. I live in south Dublin, house paid for, no asylum seekers housed in the area so can't say I'm affected. However a lot of my younger work colleagues tell me how difficult it is to get housing. I have other colleagues who commute from towns outside Dublin who talk about the pressure on local schools and GP services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭rgossip30

People born in Ireland make up approx 78% of the population are not regarded as foreign so the numbers will be higher . The prevalence of HIV in other countries is relevant when those migrants come here . Those migrants infected here are most likely to be from other migrants .

https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/hiv-in-ireland/

• ''Among the diagnoses in 2018, 42% were previously diagnosed with HIV in another country.
    • 89% of people who had a previous HIV diagnoses transferred their HIV care from abroad to Ireland.''

https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/hiv-in-ireland/

'' The increase in total HIV diagnoses is largely influenced by increased migration to Ireland in 2022,.In 2022, there was a large increase (68%) in the overall number of diagnoses, compared to pre-pandemic year 2019. This is largely attributable to an increase in diagnoses among people with a previous diagnosis outside Ireland. Among this group, 84% reported their region of birth to be Latin America and Caribbean (32%), sub-Saharan Africa (27%) or Eastern Europe (25%). 

''

https://www.hpsc.ie/news/newsarchive/2023newsarchive/title-23563-en.html

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Yvonne007

That isn't what the statistics show. It shows that IF an Irish person commited a crime, it was more likely to be a violent crime. Not that Irish people ARE more likely to commit a violent crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Haven't read the stats but I'd wager its a certain cohort of Irish people who are violent, same cohort as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What I really like about this post is that you are admitting to being somewhat racist (I think). Good for you. I am puzzled how Irish people are so afraid/reluctant to admit being racist. Your feelings are your feelings like. It's commonplace and understandable. And I do think the Irish are quite a racist bunch to be honest. I have always felt that. Too long stuck on our little rock and resenting foreigners etc. We sure slaughtered the Spanish lads when they fell out of their Armada boats. Heck I am fine to admit myself that I am racist. Probably low on the racist spectrum thanks to years living abroad but it's definitely in me. I am working on it. I haven't met many Irish people who haven't a racist bone in their body. Very rare specimen indeed. Not many Irish parents would fancy their daughter marrying an African man when the alternative is Seanie Mc who won the club's first senior county medal in hurling. That said, I am 50+ and set in my ways - I do have massive admiration for our young people who don't seem to have much less baggage (religious nonsense, racism, begrudgery, sexuality etc).

These debates would be easier if people admitted to being racist and gave preferences for the types of people they would welcome into Ireland via immigration.

Yours etc.,

Cluedo the racist.

This might need a new thread!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Not racist at all. I don't think we should deport anyone and, in fact, think we should allow anyone who wants to come here to come here. We should guarantee that anyone who comes here will get accommodation and should be given the right to work immediately.

Where's the racism? Open the borders. Use taxpayer money to support all who need it. We need people to come here and boost our economy so let's get them in and get them housed and working.

I agree with you though if anyone has a problem with a man coming into Ireland and then losing his documentation or his passport and then being supported by the Irish taxpayer then they are probably racist. After all, only a racist would think that when a persons first act in a new country is to break the law then it's probably not a good thing.

I say, let's open the borders to all and let the chips fall where they may. It is NOT time for a zero refugee policy. It's time to open the borders to all without discrimination.

In a few decades things are going to be so good that people will hardly be able to believe that they were once against the immigration policies of today.

Ok I stopped reading after the first 4 words. Bit lost to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In truth, large parts of the population have been mostly unaffected by the arrival of asylum seekers. Many areas in Dublin don't have any refugee or asylum centres nearby and there must be many hundreds of towns across the country that don't have asylum seekers living in them or near to them.

The situation with Ukrainian people is different obviously - they are definitely more visible and people would have had more direct experience of them.

Sorry, maybe I could be more clear.

You said, "these debates would be easier if people admitted to being racist and gave preferences for the types of people they would welcome into Ireland via immigration."

My response is that I am not racist and that I think that we should welcome anyone who wants to come here. Anyone. No discrimination on any basis at all. No caps. No limits. No restrictions.

If they can't support themselves then let the taxpayer support them. Build more homes. Build more hospitals. Build more prisons. Oops. Don't build more prisons! We won't need them because everything will be wonderful!

I do not see any reason why any person should be denied access to Ireland or why they should be denied access to a free home and other social welfare benefits upon arrival. Do you see any reason to deny that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

"Many areas of Dublin don't have refugee or asylum centres".

Oh well that is okay then. So the tent city areas building up ? Not a problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭rgossip30

So you are the open borders fella that the mob have been looking for?? They will lynch you!

Apologies, I complete misread your intentions. Please keep posting, I want to see this play out. 🙂

It's actually alarming that I genuinelly have heard people talk along those lines.

Bravo 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How would that equate to large numbers of people being impacted? The existence of tent cities involving homeless asylum seekers along parts of the Grand Canal is clearly wrong and should not be happening, but direct impact on the 1.5m people living in the greater Dublin area would be negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

There is a significant cost involved in the longer term

Applications have to be processed, presumably they are all also claiming welfare of some kind

Healthcare is also provided. Which impacts on availability of healthcare to those living here

Eventually they end up in hotels etc and that's huge money

First, I may have to decline your request to "keep posting" as I simply do not have the time to spend all day on the internet arguing with strangers. LOL.

Why would they lynch me? It's pretty obvious that bringing in thousands of working age men from all over the world is going to be brilliant for Ireland. Think of all the taxes they are going to be paying!

Look at Dundrum in Tipperary for example. A crummy little village with only 200 people living there. Now the population will soon be more than double that number! Wonderful news for the people there!

Even better when you consider that the new arrivals will be entirely dependent on the state. That's going to be good Irish business people getting all that taxpayer money and becoming richer than they could have ever imagined! Brilliant stuff.

Sleepy little Dundrum is going to be a lot livelier for sure, and that's a good thing! The local ladies will be especially pleased as there can't be many options in a place that small. Over 200 eligible bachelors right on your doorstep. Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Ah, very good. Irony, humour, sarcasm — full marks on each count there. It is unfortunate however that logic, sense and actual relevance to anything I have said is missing.

Just another post, like many on here, where it doesn't really matter what anyone says — just always bring the conversation back to faux victimhood of being called a racist and assert that anyone who doesn't align completely with the roulette of constant complaint and alarmism on here can only invariably be someone who thinks that there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

You ask me "what are you on about" when in your last post — and again in this post — you make references to me calling people racists, which is nonsense. You also make references to me saying "there is nothing to worry about and everything is going to be OK" despite me never having said this or alluded to it.

And for reasons that I am clearly not intelligent enough to understand, people seem to rush in to give your post thanks — despite it being a complete tangent which doesn't in any way actually address anything I said or accurately identify any stance I take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is data on AS applications during May 2024.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/w/ddn-20240820-1

We received the most, even though we are on the far west edge of the EU.

Here is data on UKR refugees, June 2024:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/en/web/products-eurostat-news/w/ddn-20240809-1

On 25 June 2024, the European Council agreed to extend the temporary protection for these people from 4 March 2025 to 4 March 2026.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Do you find many unfavorable situations you can't blame on some ethnic group or another, without reading the stats?

So when Irish people are involved you want to get into the details behind the headline figures.

I had thought Ireland had the highest ratio of people seeking refuge from Ukraine.

According to those stats we're not in the top three. And it's predominantly women and children seeking refuge.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me how many IPAs are living in Ireland. I'd have thought that something you guys would have a solid idea of, considering how many of the countries woes you blame them for.

No thank you.

But I do feel I have to point out that you are being misleading when you present a report (that is 30 years old) which you pretended to show that the irish are responsible to most violent crimes per capita, when it shows nothing like that at all.

It shows that out of 12,105 Irish people (in 1993, in Melbourne), 123 of them were processed for violent crimes over the space of a year.

YOU brought this stat up, you presented it for some unkown reason in your response to your hand waving away of people from different cultures being over represented in sexual crimes.

I only gave your irrelevant report more than a cursory glance when you started mentioning it to try and blatently misrepresent what it said.

The problem is we don't know.

We know how many AS have applied, yes.

But if their claim fails, we don't know where they go.

The Minister admitted that we don't know.

Also, we don't have exit controls at ports, that's another issue.

We do have a huge number of UKR refugees, given our location.

We have more than Hungary, even though it borders UKR.

We have way, way more than France, on a % basis.

I don't remember 'pretending' to show that Irish people committed more crimes per capita, but didn't you do a lot of carefully looking at the details there.

Did you pay similar attention to the reports of crimes committed by Iraqi men that you accuse me of 'hand waving' over?

• Advertisement

Your handwaving was evident for all to see. You admitted that men from a different culture would be over represented in sexual harrassment. I believe that also to be true with regards to sexual assault but in the absence of concrete proof, I was willing to "downgrade" the charges to sexual harrassment.

For some reason, that resulted in you posting report where you purposely misrepresented to show Irish people are overwhelmingly violent in comparison to others, in a city in Australia, thirty years ago.

If that isn't handwaving and deflection, I don't know what is.

Advertisement