Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

2nd test, 2nd session, day 1 and the West Indies have already destroyed South Africa.

35 overs in, day 1 and SA having won the toss, selecting themselves to bat first… 97/9… 😎

Aggressive fast bowling, aggressive attacking field placement, swing, seam and speed !

The inexperienced Shamar Joseph 5/29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭MFPM

Mad day. SA all out 160, Piedt top scorer with 38. WI 62/6 in reply, Carty currently top scorer with just 26. Could be a very short match!

jeeez i thought being at home West Indies would have cruised this after knocking over SA so cheaply. Boy was I wrong.. 128/9 😵‍💫

Mind you, tail wagging now, Shamar Joseph, number 11 batsman……14 off 3 balls, 4,4,6 😅

South Africa beginning to exert control here, WI all out for 144 ceding a lead of 16 to SA but thr lead now is 134 with 9 wickets in hand.

I clearly jinxed SA, from 118/1 to 144/5! The lead out to 160 but the game is back in the balance, could be over in three days, 4 at most.

• Advertisement

test starts 3 minutes late because on getting to the square, the umpires decide to check the ball, it won’t go through the rings, not nearly. New ball has to come out and be chosen. You’d have thought they’d do that in the pavilion a hour before play starts. Given there is a third and fourth umpire and it takes about 20 seconds to check, hardly an inconvenience.

Mulder gone, lbw, 5th ball of the day to Warrican, might have kept a touch low but poor shot either way. Good start.

Scrap that, great start ! Seals gets Maharaj next over. Excellent, game on.

so 263 the target…gonna be tough

Louis gone early, poor shot, pointless prod, ball not threatening the stumps but he hangs the bat outside off and edges one, a good low catch though… ball hit bat rather then the bat hitting the ball.

WI with loads of time, (only day 3) to get 166 to win, 7 wickets in hand...it's very doable but I suspect they'll fall short.

6 down, a collapse in the offing. As you say, loads of time to get these runs and fellas going stupid, going aerial and in T20 mode. Why ? Could do with using their smarts a bit more this lot…

So SA held on for the win, WI made a decent run at the total, loads of starts but Motie apart no one hit 40.

• Advertisement

So the England vs Sri Lanka series…so with Stokes gone and Pope captaining. Be interesting. I see one bookie has Sri Lanka at 11/1 to beat England at OT this week. England are 1/4…

I’ve looked at 3 different forecasts for Manchester, none in agreement over the 5 days, 😵‍💫. Weather forecasting these days akin it seems to pinning a tail on a donkey but I’m thinking or hoping there is enough play for a result. Best day as of now is day 1, Wednesday, we should get a full days play. After that, mixed bag….England team…be interesting to see how Pope gets on with the pressure of batting at 3 and the captaincy at just 26. Confirmed team…

Dan Lawrence,

Ben Duckett,

Ollie Pope (captain),

Joe Root,

Harry Brook (vice-captain),

Jamie Smith (wicketkeeper),

Chris Woakes,

Gus Atkinson,

Matthew Potts,

Mark Wood,

Shoaib Bashir.

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

With the exception of a couple of names , that is a VERY average looking side. Not sure i have ever seen a weaker set of bowlers line up in a single test for England, well if you go back to the 90's maybe, but not in recent times.

See Woakes off for 20 minutes with the new ball, duck Wood for a couple of overs, then fill your boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Atkinson bowled really well against the West Indies and Potts didn't look out of place when he last played test cricket. I'll be pleasantly surprised if any boot filling is done against the English attack this series. Not much sign of it in the warm up match against unknown young bowlers.

https://x.com/CountyChamp/status/1805225866793775181

Lawrence Vs Bashir in the county championship, tweet won’t embed for some reason.

Bashir went for 38 runs off 1 over 😵‍💫

That's because Sri Lanka are crap.

I'll watch the "highlights" later anyway.

disaster of a start by SL. 6/3 from 7 overs.

Batsmen have been all over the shop. Decent bowling but nothing more. Terrible batting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

80/5 Sri Lanka, they are as bad as I expected, another 3 day test in progress

102/6 woeful against an average enough England. Test Cricket has real issues around competitiveness..

from the outside looking in , you’d have to say the younger cricketers now being immersed into T20 cricket from day one, the insane dosh to be made playing it… look at some of the countries where cricket is played, poor countries. Sri Lanka being one so young people with a degree of identified talent will themselves be more frequently pushing to prioritise getting a lucrative T20 contract over getting in a test side.

114/7…. All England have had to do is bowl very competently. Some of the shots that led to wickets going down 😦

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭nice bit of green

My hopes of watching a few hours of Day 4 in the pub look fairly slim.

• Advertisement

As i said above. Sri Lanka are crap

Test Cricket is really on a big spiral downwards. There are no sides, maybe with the exception of India, that are really any good. Aus are half decent, that's all. England the same.

The less said about the rest the better. South Africa sending some B side to New Zealand really sums up were Test Cricket is at.

If you think it's bad now, give it another 5 years and it will almost become irrelevant in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Think the main reason for that poor morning from Sri Lanka is purely down to a lack of preparation. They have come from an series at home against India to just one warm-up game against a young England selection in overcast weather and they also haven't played much test cricket in the past year and a half.

Apparently the players wanted another warm-up game but were denied because of the schedule and so I'd expect them to get better as the series goes on. In fairness their top order pretty much all average over 40, albeit I know that their home test matches are usually on fairly benign pitches.

A bit of a fightback from Sri Lanka having been 113-7, they are now 193-8.

Decent fightback by SL obviously de Silva and Rathnayake in particular to reach 236.

Did ok to get to 236, I'm not really in agreement about lack of preparation, they had a 4 day game against a load of kids and were destroyed. And lots of days for extra practice if they wanted. About 150 short of a par score

Josh Little is stealing a living now in some 10 over slogging tournament, just got hit for 29 by some fat village blacksmith, the opposition are 40/0 off 2 overs, the superstars against the supergiants at superstar Park in the super league, except there is **** all super about it. Players who want to play slog cricket all year round don't improve their game, and he has gone rapidly backwards, I think his early success was because no one had seen him, now everyone has.

rain stopped, covers slowly starting to be prepared to come off, looks like a fair bit of rain on the covers so be some degree of cleanup.

Groundstaff whilst you wouldn’t want them to be in a rush, you’d perhaps like them not to be so leisurely… fella walking around taking out the pins holding the covers in the ground was only short of stopping to have a read of a newspaper, 😵‍💫

Forcast was good for the entire day, but what fell beforehand is the problem apparently.

Post edited by Strumms on

never got the hype about Little. What might be an advantage is he’s young but has a lot of experience. He’s not 25 yet. So maybe…biggest issue aside from going for runs is the lack of wickets..

International Matches/Wickets…ODIs : 36/56. T20i. :69/78

Always seems to be a tonne of hype / support around him. In the cricket media and…At the grounds there are always a lot of JL fanboys/fangirls…. Why ? because, he hasn’t done it for his country. He looks the part but it’s a results game. Big fit lad, 6’5, languid and fluid technique, quick but bowls far too inaccurately and inconsistently.

24, but, been globetrotting around the franchises, turned out for 8 different franchises so far around the world. So not shy about positioning himself making lots of money, been certainly shy about taking wickets for Ireland.

Averages 1.5 & 1.2 wickets per match per respective international format…

He's decent in short format. He bowls a length that can be awkward for batsmen and a decent speed. Far worse out there imo.

If you want to talk about someone stealing a living it's Liam "Livi" Livingston. Trots out like he doesn't give a bollox, has a few swipes and gets out cheaply about 8/10 times. Better bowler than he is batter.

He's a nice lad all the same

Wtf… everybody standing around waiting and watching Rathnayake do about a 3 minute warmup before he bowls a ball… any chance that when he gets the nod from his captain that he can stretch and warm up on the boundary ? No ? …. Enough overs will be lost because of the weather, now bwut….bowlers warm up time, shall that now become another time killer in cricket ? Everyone waiting….Umpires again..

England go 3 down… Lawrence with a stinker of a shot.

• Advertisement

Not bad by SL with the ball. Their poor total still likely to come back to bite. Eng 160/4 approaching tea.

Advertisement