Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We've established that you know nothing, which is why I was asking a different poster.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Dont know about cocaine but talk around is that crack and gear go for 50 a gram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No experience with crack (and don't want any) but 50 a gram is ridiculously cheap. I'd be suspicious about the quality at that rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"Initial preliminary estimates put the average daily consumption of cocaine to be in the order of 100 milligrams per 1,000 people per day"

"The European Union has undertaken an analysis of wastewater from a number of locations throughout Europe. The findings from 2023 show weekday mean values for Athens to be 137mg/1000people/day, Vilnius at 104mg/1000people/day, Helsinki at 189mg/1000people/day and Krakow at 65mg/1000people/day."

That is what they call it, yes. Now these are prices I hear from addicts and that is a price if they can afford to buy full gram. Otherwise it is broken to 7-10 small bags which go for 10 a piece. I am no expert or anything it is just what I hear from people around. That price looks ridiculously cheap even to me but that is most likely what is driving the increase of use as while it look cheap at the start as soon as people get addicted they tend to never get enough of it.

Addiction problem is not to cut off supply as that is never going to happen and for every dealer or supplier taken off the street there are 2 new happily jumping in their place. Prohibition did not work for alcohol so it would not work for anything else either. Fear of punishment (even capital one in some countries) does not deter people as financial pull is way too strong. Addiction can only be sorted if it is supervised and if people who are struggling are offered alternative to what drugs provide for them when they are ready to make a change.

I never touched any of the class A drugs as they do not offer anything I may be interested in. Other stuff is pretty much of no interest to me either but I do understand addiction and what is driving people towards it so I know that current way of dealing with this probem is a battle where nobody can win.

The problem with heroin is that you build up a tolerance quickly, meaning you need more and bigger doses to get the same high as before, and thus you get closer to the overdose point.

This is why I drug dealers give the first dose cheaply or even free and it;s these guys I'd argue are the ones that people are getting into debts with.

I know a lot of people who do a lot of drugs and seen a lot of pricelists with a lot of offers on Telegram groups, but I've seen anyone even offer heroin. Recereational users just don't touch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Quitelife

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/billy-keane-we-cannot-abandon-our-young-people-in-war-on-drugs-so-lets-give-gardai-the-resources-to-fight-this-epidemic/a1458455949.html

Not a fan of the Independent but Billy Keane writes a great article today about the negative impact in Kerry of drugs with parents and grand parents been attacked by drug dealers , behind a oay wall but well worth a read if one had todays paper or sub access

Now have you actually checked this one to see if it contains the word "cocaine" in it before you actually posted it?

cocaine - heroin- fentanyl, doesn’t matter to me they are all destroying families and communities , cocaine is definitely the biggest cause of issues around mental health , addiction treatments, drug beatings , suicides in our area not to mention scum of the earth driving round in flash cars from the plight of others

• Advertisement

In other words, no; no you haven't.

And I've already pointed out that you don't care about rural communities because you're not prepared to consider the root causes turning people to said drugs, that you've accepted you know nothing drugs, and that you're just shitposting - and you haven't actually contested any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Jizique

What are the root causes in rural Ireland then?

Why Is it different now to the heroine epidemic which scarred Dublin 40 years ago? What has changed that makes this now a countrywide phenomenon?

Well, I haven't lived in Ireland for 15 years and I've never lived in rural Ireland - so I'm not really in a position to say, but until these causes are identified linking to news headlines with no meaningful commentary is, as I said, shitposting.

For me, my mental health issues were caused by boredom, living in a repititive socially conservative environment (by socially conservative, I mean everything revolving around sport, soap operas and pubs) - but if you tried and bring this up, people shot you down in seconds. I tried to get people to do things like hiking, paintball and a few others things, but people were only interested in drinking (which is just abusing a legal drug - and yet no one sees that as an issue. Odd….)

Dublin 40 years ago was a massively different place than rural Ireland now - a lot of the city was in economic depression.

Now whether any of this is relevant to modern day rural ireland, I have no idea - which is why I was asking the poster - but I'm pretty sure he was no idea either and no interest in finding out.

Getting addicted to a drug, but it legal or illegal is a symtom of a deeper cause of a more serious underlying issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I asked a fairly regular weekend user yesterday, she said she pays 70 euro a gram (Dublin). A poster on Boards a while ago (think it was the Gangland Shootings thread), said the Gardai value the same amount at 100 euro.

You gave me the names of 4 rural communities that were "destroyed by cocaine", a quick google search didn't back up your claim. In post # 852 you said "I know nothing about it (cocaine)", now you're saying "cocaine is DEFINITELY the biggest cause of issues around mental health", are you an expert on the latter? If you're resentful about scum of the earth driving flash cars, does that mean you favour a change in the law regarding coke and try eliminate or reduce these people from this lucrative trade?

"Let's give the gardai more resources to tackle this epidemic" if the headline is anything to go by then I don't think it's a great article. How many billions or trillions did USA spend stopping this "epidemic" and failed, what chance have we got? Epidemic? Dictionary.com defines it as a disease that is widespread. It's not, a minority of people enjoy using it and an even smaller amount of people have problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭L Grey

Cocaine use, crazy how common-place it is.

A friend of mine was in his local when lads came in after at local GAA meetup.

After a few pints out comes the powder and the lads were not-so-covertly taking sniffs.

Same thing with a work do I was at.

All very casual and accepted now.

I try not to be around people when they're taking it, such an obnoxious drug.

The arrogant ultra-confidence followed quickly by the emotional **** talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

What I notice is the blatancy of it all ….. smalltime drug dealers deal cocaine on trains, buses, in front of shops, in restaurants and pubs …. they don't even try to hide it and no one takes notice …. that is the problem ….

so, will his next post be a logical and informed response to this or a trolly **** post of a news headline that has the word "drug" in it but not the word "cocaine"? My money's on the latter…

• Advertisement

cocaine - heroin- fentanyl - alcohol , doesn’t matter to me they are all destroying families and communities , cocaine alcohol is definitely the biggest cause of issues around mental health , addiction treatments…

I fixed it for you.

Alcohol is by far the most common, the most damaging and the most abused addictive substance around. It is also considered to be the gateway drug for harder stuff. Smoking is not far off with damage it is causing.

You also forgot to add cannabis to your rather short and very selective list. Not every publican is driving flash car but I suppose they are also not that bad financially speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cathodrays

I have a friend who is an addiction counsellor and she reckons that if drugs disappeared, many of societies problems would be solved. I think that's a silly point of view.

There's no doubt that drugs and alcohol are a big factor in physical and sexual assaults, presentations to A&E departments, muggings/burglaries to feed a habit but many of them actually have uses as medicines like morphine for severe pain and stimulants for adhd. It's also arguable that civilization would never have developed without alcohol.

Just looking at countries with a high rate of abstinence from the biggest legal drug (alcohol), they all seem to be in the Middle East and Africa, not exactly the most developed places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

If you talk to anyone in the criminal justice system, the majority of crime is drug related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I can't wait for the tedious 'so you want to get rid of drugs? Do you like..paracetamol and coffee? Huh huh'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭prunudo

Id put religion and money higher up the list of evils than drugs tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,642 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Meh. The Vast Vast majority of people who drink and drug are not violent criminals or rapists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Yvonne007

Nope.

Some people can use drugs and still function, some people can't and become addicts.

You shouldn't punish the majority for the inability of the few.

And this is speaking as someone directly affected by addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭scottser

Money is the root of all evil. That's why there's a drugs trade.

Notwithstanding, societies that enforce abstinence are headbangers, for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭rogber

Men are the root of almost all evil, solve that problem and 95 percent of all serious crime would disappear. All the crimes listed above are overwhelmingly committed by men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not at all. The production and supply of drugs and particularly illegal drugs is driven by money. The producers, the suppliers, the cartels and everyone along the pipeline apart from the end user, profits.

The entire point of providing illegal narcotics is to profit. The notion that those drugs can be the root of evil? When it's not even the primary motivation for their production and distribution is absurdly simplistic. It doesn't bode well for your counsellor friend's critical thinking skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

“I have a friend who is an addiction counsellor and she reckons that if drugs disappeared, many of societies problems would be solved.”

No, many of the problems her clients have had may disappear- even then, I’d doubt that drugs are their real issue- it’s probably past psychological issues that drove them into drug addiction in the first place - it’s those issues that likely need addressing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Your friend is entirely correct - many of society’s drug related issues would disappear if drugs disappeared. The corollary of that assertion is that existing issues would simply be replaced with a whole new set of issues due to the lack of drugs.

It can be arguable that civilisation would never have developed without alcohol, but that’s generally an argument made by alcoholics - not the most reliable indicator of a rational argument and one perhaps left down the pub where it belongs.

What countries were you looking at where alcohol consumption is illegal, alcohol is legal, and there is a high rate of abstinence among the population? The characteristics you’re describing won’t be found in Middle Eastern and African countries, but you could try much closer to home, the Scandinavian and Western European countries for instance. Then there’s that whole alcohol harm paradox where issues with alcohol are most prevalent among the population which consumes alcohol the least:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5040414/

Drugs aren’t the root of all evil, not even close. Drug addiction however, is the root cause of a growing number of healthcare and social issues in Western countries though. I’m not even including alcohol in that category because the inclusion of alcohol is just a means to bump up the numbers to make the issues seem more urgent than they actually are in reality. It’s generally a method used by lobby groups and people who imagine that drugs are responsible for all the ills in a society, who use it in support of their intellectual argument to conflate society’s ills with drug addiction and abuse.

I get where they’re coming from, but I’d take it with a pinch of salt.

Criminals within the criminal justice system will probably have a different view 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you can live without drugs, not without money.

I think religion is genuinely a load of shíte but I’ve never really had a days trouble from a person pursuing their religion.

On the other hand, a junky tried to rob me at syringe point and I had to act fast on two other occasions also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Yvonne007

Goodness me. I think that is remarkably sexist thing to say. And on behalf of all the men in my life, I ask something.

I do assume that because you hold that view, based on statistics, you would also feel comfortable in saying that since black men commit more crimes than white men in America, that black men are the root of all evil in America?

I don't think you would be so blasé because you would sound incredibly racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They're definitely not the root of all evil since people choose to take drugs for many different reasons:

• Boredom
    • Escapism
    • Relaxation
    • Dealing with Trauma
    • Mental illness

For example, I recall hearing that heroin addicts have a higher then normal chance of having being abused as children. In that case the root of the evil clearly is not the heroin.

In contrast if someone takes cocaine because they're bored with their normal nights out and ends up battering someone in a fight then I think I think it's a more complex question about the root of the evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

Humans are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

It seems more like a case of confirmation bias on the part of your friend.

You friend is an addiction counsellor.

All the customers for your friends work are drugs addicts.

Your friend sees all the people who visit and sees they all have a common problem "drug addiction"

Your friend therefore assumes all problems people suffer as being associated with drug addiction and so thinks the solution is simply to ban drugs.

Your friend is not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Lust for money and power is the root of all evil.

Not Drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭scottser

Actually, a good addiction counsellor would know that an addiction is a shell that an addict will use to protect themselves from pain, guilt, judgement etc. You can't just take away the drug and expect them to be fine; the addict has to fill in the holes in themselves that the drugs used to fill. They need new ways and strategies to protect themselves, which is a long road and fraught with setbacks and that's why relapse is so common.

Sounds like the OP's counsellor friend is a bit shite at their job, tbh.

I drugs disappeared, the medical profession would be in crisis - and your friend sounds like another person who seems to think addiction and responsabile useage are the same thing.

• Advertisement

the closure of so many garda stations in rural ireland in 2010/11 was a huge opportunity for drug dealers to start up or expand knowing there was no gardai to stop you selling drugs or intimidating anyone else who tried to stop you . All towns and villages had some drug users in the past but the closure of the garda station network allowed drug dealers to be more in the open offering cocaine to young people in pubs or on the street which many unfortunately have succumbed to fcuking up their lives in plenty cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭SeanW

You didn't "fix" anything. Cannabis, and to a lesser extent alcohol, are not in the same league as things like fentanyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'd take your friend's qualified and presumably, experienced, point of view over anyone else, as would most people. As usual with humans, it is only when kids arrive that logic sets in. I see one other poster here tried to claim that addiction and " responsibility of use " are two separate things, which is, of course, laughable.

A few sleepless months worrying about your son or daughter soon focuses the mind on that claim. Almost every addict I've met began their life of addiction claiming " but I use drugs responsibly".

You see it in every Rural Pharmacy in the country.

" 24 Nurophen plus please"

" what's it for"

" My mums period pains, she sent me down"

" She's 62, isn't she?"

Down to the next chemist in the next village.

" 24 Nurophen plus please"

" what's it for?"

"Back pain"

" There you go"

And on and on it goes. Multiple pharmacy's per week, every week. Just so you can responsibly get out of bed and get the kids out to school.

It's not just Cocaine. In fact we are on the cusp of a National Coedine epidemic which is much, much, much worse. Addicts are the only responsible users of drugs. That fact that a regular user of any drug is at the stage where they consider their usage to be "responsible" is practically the definition of the first stages of addiction.

If that happens to be a good description of anyone here, it's not too late to stop, especially if you have a family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭greenpilot

"Addiction can only be sorted if it is supervised and if people who are struggling are offered alternative to what drugs provide for them when they are ready to make a change."

Absolutely 100% Correct. I'd add honesty to that too. Tell your partner and family. Support is needed as it is a mountain that cannot be climbed alone.

I accept this as a contributing factor, but it's still not getting at the underlying causes. People are not doing drugs because there's less police around or because the dealers are finding it easier to operate. The dealers are taking advantage of a situation that already exists: work out what that is and no one will require their services.

The question wasn't why is cocaine more prominent, it's why are people getting addicted to it? (And by addicted, I mean where it becomes a problem: not the casual useage).

Really?

How many people are there regularly consuming alcohol compared to regular fentanyl users in your expert opinion?

But you are correct, they, mainly alcohol are not in the same league. It is much worse with regard to consumption and damage caused. Much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

That gives an idea of the level of death annually attributable to alcohol: 4 deaths per day; or circa 1500/ year.

I remember trying to do an exercise to get my head around fentanyl epidemic in the USA; from my rough numbers if Ireland had an identical problem it would be circa 1200/annum.

Fentanyl issue in USA is horrendous and is worth reading up on, particularly in certain areas; but as bad as it is its still less than alcohol deaths per annum here.

Two hours well spent for anyhow convinced that even social alcohol drinking is harmless.

Eh…? You making up **** again…??

There are responsible drug users everywhere - I'm one of them: I consume alcohol once or twice a week, weed two or three times a week, LSD or mushrooms once every couple of months and cocaine twice a year.

So question one: explain to me how consuming cocaine twice a year is "addicted"?

Also, you use the excellent example of painkillers. People get addicted to painkillers all the time - sure. But people use them responsibly as well, do they no?

So question two: Do you accept or reject the point that people can use painkillers and alcohol responsibly? Because if you reject it, then you debunk your own post. Accept and you prove me right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭notAMember

A habitual drug user describing themselves as responsible makes me think you have a rather narrow understanding of responsibility. You mean, I assume, personal health-wise only? Like, you don't OD or go around on a rape rampage while high? You're managing or accepting the damage to your brain, lungs, nose yada yada.

But in terms of societal responsibility there's a rather large difference which is difficult to ignore. There are of course personal dangers from any medicine and alcohol, but those are certainly not illegal. Your class A habit is fueling drug cartels, crime etc. How are you rationalizing that as being socially responsible?

• Advertisement

There are examples throughout the world and history that supervised and legal use of any addictive substance does not end up with chaos or civilizational collapse. Heroin was at some point completely legal and mankind did not experience some catastrophic events with everyone getting high and killing each other. Netherland does have cannabis legalized for a very long time and we do not consider them a zombified nation where everyone is constantly stoned.

Crime associated with illegal addictive substances is a consequence of them being illegal in first place, while we happily overlook simple fact that there is much more crime happening around use of government sanctioned addictive substances like alcohol.

I understand that everyone who drink regularly does not think they are addicts because alcohol is state sanctioned intoxicant but people who drink regularly are no different form any other drug addicted users. They just picked up different poison than you.

Advertisement