Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Comments

hope the child is ok and that Tusla step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Let’s hope so- enough warnings have been given and too many lives shattered - anyone who still owns this breed and especially has one around children really need their heads examined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There’s actually no prohibition on owning a tiger or leopard or even a bear in Ireland. There’s international trading restrictions on buying and selling them, but there’s currently nothing on the Irish statute books that prohibits you from keeping any animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Reported that the child is only 12 months old with very serious life changing injuries, poor thing.

Why do people have these XL Bully dogs inside the family home, I just dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CookingGuy

That's a ridiculous thing to say you can't have a killer whale out your back garden either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It would be like having a ticking time bomb in the house, just waiting for it to attack.

In all fairness, decrying restrictions on dangerous animal ownership as “a road that ends up nazi territory” was a really ridiculous thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭NiceFella

Similar experience with a woman and a Japanese Ikita. Was on a lead but no muzzle and the dog was walking in any direction it liked. Walking towards other dogs that knew well to stay away.

I challenged her saying "you need to to muzzle that dog".....her response "he is friendly". Yeah I'm sure he is until he gets momentarily irritated...what then. The stupidity of people with these animals is alarming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The people on here and on other social media saying that these animals are safe are at least a little bit responsible for every one of these children getting mutilated and killed

you’ll see posters saying any breed can be dangerous. If one of those XL dogs attacked me I’d be history, if a Jack Russell attacked me a good kick would get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭themacman

Just saw a guy with an XL Bully, no muzzle, out and about near playground, other small dogs. What action can we take? Call the garda, local councillors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Another poor child with life changing injuries because of these dogs, every one of those dogs should be put down but of course nothing will be enforced as usual and we'll keep seeing these horrible attacks on people into the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you know him report him to the Gardai, if not and it happening regularly tell the gardai and tell them you will let them know when he brings the dog around.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well you actually can. No problem.

From 2016:

A hit list of 37 invasive species drawn up by the European Union will be banned from being brought into the UK from today.

Among the animal culprits are raccoons, mongooses and muntjac deer

All banned by the EU, so clearly banned in Ireland too. Must be all nazis already.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just today I was putting a letter in a post box and standing the other side of the gate to meet me was an XL. I wouldn't have even noticed its presence had I a parcel or something that I needed a signature for and had to open the gate. You'd be in your own little world at times. Don't fancy having quicker reactions than it if anything happened.

Of course, the owner popped out of his car after the fact saying that it's name is Axel and he's perfectly fine if you call him by its name. Same lad recently had the same dog tied to a flight of stairs, unmuzzled, in another area I deliver to as well and was acting agitated about three feet away from me.

What's worse, there is a young family living directly across from that house, and another about three doors down, and the partitions between each back garden ain't exactly Fort Knox. I can easily amble over fences going to the various post boxes.

I would be throwing the post like a touchdown 500 feet away in a full metal body suit 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CookingGuy

And what happens when they start trying to ban people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ForestFire

" he's perfectly fine if you call him by its name."

eh… that sounds a bit ominous …what happens if you don't call him by his name!!!!😕…Hello Mary😬

……I guess… t'would be your own fault anyhow, for not training yourself around dogs….😉

Like the way we eat people, just because we eat animals?

Look, restricting the ownership of dangerous dog breeds is just not going to herald the introduction of human consecration camps, no matter now much you claim it will. It’s a ridiculous notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

XL Bullys are dangerous but there are plenty of people way more dangerous. I’d be happy to see these people banned too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Because they are **** pond scum. That's why.

If you have one of these dogs, you are most likely a tracksuit laden, scroat.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darrener

Wow..This is a real life manifestation of Rumplestiltkin...with a 1.5 second time limit

Not sure if the most appropriate response to that is 😆, this 🙄, or this 🤯

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Unfortunately, not always the case. I was in my local rural area over the weekend walking my dog, popular area with tourists, so you'll never know who's about.

Bumped into a woman with her own dog.. She says there's an xl bully on down that way, owner says he's only a pup, and the owner is a fireman, he says the breed gets a bad rap thanks to the owners. 🤦 I said thanks for the heads up, they're a very dangerous breed, that's why they get a bad rap. Granted usually that they have idiotic owners exacerbate this.

I walked on further until I could see him, about 50 yards away, unmuzzled and young kids with the owner. Would have loved to keep walking and have it out with the owner, but you would be as well talking to Trump fans trying to talk them down from voting Trump. And the last thing you want is to stand having a heated conversation with these guys while their unmuzzled monster/dog gets agitated from the bad energy… turned on my heels and away in the opposite direction. That the dog is a pup (looked fully grown to me) probably makes him even more unpredictable, less trained and more in need of a muzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Granted there will often be exceptions but in general terms this breed of dog is used by scrotes as some sort of status symbol and to intimidate others because of their well known and publicised behaviour.

I don't blame you for turning the other way. It's not worth the risk of being savaged by one of these dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

As I’ve posted many times, these dogs are status symbols and used for protection and intimidation by low level criminals. You can’t do time for having one of these dogs but if the Guards search you and find a knife, you’re in serious sh1t. That’s the root of the rise of these dogs for the most part. The law needs to catch up to that.

These young lads are also groomed by the gangs into that ‘work’. Given the dog and then made to work to pay back the favour of being given the dog for hundreds of times the value of the animal.

There is no end of dog breeds to choose from. Beyond the few people who need Alsatians for search and rescue and security, nobody needs any of the other restricted breeds. Ban them all. Let’s take our parks and streets back from the scrotes.

Met a guy walking a Rottweiler with no muzzle the other day. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover but one look at the owner and I immediately thought ‘inadequate, poindexter stoner in his 30’s trying to be tough with this dog. Pathetic.’

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Another owner killed by his own XL Bully, in the UK this time. A 53 year old man. Seriously what is wrong with these people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

They're german shepherd's not alisiation..only old brits call them alisations. Best dog you can own. Most trainable/intelligent out of all the breeds and make a great family dog as they were originally breed to herd. Their prodective streak which makes them fearless is Why they make good gaurd dogs. You're a nutcase if you think they should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Quitelife

lot of local drug dealers buying XL bullies dogs before some ban ? It’s s better way of hurting or killing someone over a drug debt , set one or two XL Bullies on the addict and you can say to the judge you couldn’t control them or they never attacked anyone before , no chance of jail and it sends a message to all other slow payers !

Any word on whether they've found these dogs? I haven't seen any updates.

They're trainable but they need training, and work. And a surprising number of people who have one don't get that. Not that they're the only breed like that: huskies, in a different way, and those Malinois/Belgian shepherds are harder work again, I think. Working breeds "adopted" by people who can barely be arsed to take them out for a dander along the street twice a day are exactly the sort of dogs that illustrate the claim that there are no bad dogs just bad owners.

But that could potentially be solved with education and forcing people to take responsibility for their dog's behaviour: maybe obligatory dog training classes for instance, at least for dogs that are going to end up over a certain size/weight. Preferably for all, TBH, but we could start with those.

But I still think that fighting breeds are a different matter altogether. Dog fighting is banned, so the dogs bred for that have become a problem. Forced sterilisation and ban on future breeding would be a good thing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

They're called Alsatians by lots of people where I live in southeast Ireland and none of these people are "old brits". Don't be policing other people's language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭standardg60

Always knew them as Alsatians too, nothing wrong with it as they're originally from Alsace which was in Germany, Alsatian wolf dog was it's official name in the UK and here for a long time.

I've read somewhere that it was a decision after the first world war because German Shepherds were appreciated for their war work, but it was felt to be unfortunate to call them "German". Alsace being a German-speaking province which had been part of Germany pre WW1, it was deemed a suitable replacement.

Not unlike how Americans decided to rename French Fries as Freedom Fries when France decided not to join the invasion of Iraq in 2003 or whenever it was.

curiosity question, do you walk your dog on a lead with a muzzle?

Unfortunately Major died last October at the age of 12 and has not been replaced yet :/

I walked him on footpaths with lead. I use to let off on beach for a stretch. Tho he would never let me get about 50m away from him due to his strong herding instincts. I could call him and he would come back to me too I would do this if i saw another dog coming. When walking up untill last 2 years i would bring muzzel. Towards end I didnt as he found it too tough. Even "breathable" muzzle would restrain some breathing somewhat. Towards end after a walk his tongue would nearly be at the ground.

Before he got old when i was training for marathons i use to take him on runs up to 10k in late evenings with no muzzel. He was so concentrating on keeping up with me during runs he did not even notice other dogs.

He played football in his garden with children unmuzzelled regularly too. I was also brought up playing in a garden with a GS unmuzzelled.... Great family dog is my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We used always call them alsatians growing up. Working class Cork city, 1980s, definitely not "Britain" and at 8 years old I don't think you could call us "old". Didn't hear them called German Shepherds until I was in my teens and that was from people in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Had a German Shepherd as a teenager. Beautiful intelligent dogs. It's a shame they are meant to be muzzled. That's what would stop me getting one now and also because people think they are dangerous and react accordingly; which makes situations even more tense when you have one.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Most people just see big dogs and instinctively make a snap judgement and think that they have the potential to do a lot of damage to them, and they are right. Yes they are a lovely and intelligent dog, but like any big dog, in the wrong hands, it could be a dangerous situation.

I was walking my dog in the spring on the road along a beach, german shepherd and owner on the beach, training going on. There was a wall along the road, and beyond the wall was a steep bank which led down to the beach, so the dogs couldn't see each other. At one point there was a gap in the wall of about a metre, low and behold the german shepherd spotted my dog as we passed it, and the bank may as well not have been there, the german shepherd bounded up to us like a dog possessed. As it came closer I realised it was muzzled, but there was a few seconds where I thought, oh no, we're in trouble here.

Didn't matter how much the owner screamed after it, no response. Had a sniff of my dog, and when he tried to return the favour, warning growls. I just lifted my dogs front 2 paws and let him at it, think he got bored when he realised my dog was neutered.

So yes, they should be muzzled in public. Because you can't account for how thick people are that are supposed to be in control of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

WTF are you talking about. I have difficulty understanding how someone who is obviously so far removed from this sort of culture can have such hard-baked, half-cocked, snobby, classist and outright dangerous opinions on it from the outside without having the most basic understanding of it. What colour is the sky in the world in which you live?

You are like a crazy person, standing at the side of the road, ranting about made-up fantasy scenarios in your head that have absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever. You might as well be talking about the inside of a Taliban tent in Fallujah, you're so unbelievably incorrect about everything.

They're beautiful dogs, that's why people get them. Not for protection and not for intimidation, the vast majority of the time. Because they're unique, gorgeous, friendly and loyal.

These dogs can cost up to a grand a pup. Nobody is giving them away, same way nobody gives away free drugs to get kids hooked. That's all a load of shite made up by parents who couldn't believe their little Johnny or Mary could end up a skaghead. Nobody is giving away free heroin in Dublin. They never were. You wanna get hooked, it'll cost ya.

You honestly sound like someone who hasn't a clue how the real world functions. It's like you get all your opinions from the red top tabloids because you're too afraid to leave your house.

I have a staffie cross that I rescued. Well-trained, obedient, would be more likely to hurt you with her tail wagging than she would with her teeth. But has the capacity to do damage to other dogs/people (which is a plus, in certain circumstances)*, so she's muzzled the vast majority of the time when she's out and about. I've had more aggro off auldones with little **** white poodle-type dogs with pink eyes than I have off anyone, including the warden, who I know by name.

Every single owner of a restricted breed I've ever met (including drug dealers with XL Bullys) has put much more effort into training their dog than every single person who owns a jack russell or other, small terrier type dog. The amount of times I've heard "he's not like that with other dogs, it must be your one that has him like that" as they fail to recall some little snarly yappy bag of bones trying to start trouble is unreal.

Every single owner of a restricted breed I've ever met personally has talked about the the training they've put them through since they were a pup BECAUSE they are restricted. I've never met a person over 50 who has ever trained their dog, ever.

*two travellers tried to take a bike from a neighbour's garden once. I came walking past with the dog, saw them holding the kids' bike and asked them what the story was……….they dropped it and legged it when they saw the dog.

Also…wtf is a poindexter?

Tell that to all the owners of XL bullies killed by their own dogs or whose dogs killed others. Who would you prefer to be attacked by, an XL bully owned by one of your drug dealer friends or a poodle?

Looked up XL bully dogs as I have only herd of about them recently. First bread in the 90's in the US and first introduced to Britain in 2014 so propably only hit Ireland after that. So a very recent dog. They live to over 10 years so noone here has probably even had one from a pub to its natural lifespan.

Given the deaths it is right that they are baning them completely. I cant see why there would be uproar given that they are such a new breed of dog.

Why are people choosing a dog breed that they have no childhood experience or history with that is only making r headlines for killing thier owners. Very bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Tell them what, exactly?

That most of the people who buy them don't buy them to be intimidating?

That Hoodie6029 sounds like a crazy person?

That nobody is giving them away for free?

That nobody over the age of 50 bothers their arse training their dogs?

WTF are you getting at here, I made about 6 or 7 different points in my post but you're practically frothing at the mouth in your attempts to act all sanctimonious, while outright refusing to address any of them. See, this is indicative of the emotive nonsense and the that people suffer from around these animals. You're too blinded by the horror stories that make the headlines to have any sort of unbiased discussion on the matter…."Oh, yeah, well tell that to all the DEAD people, HA!"

I never said I was friends with any drug dealers either, but your bias has shone through in that regard also. You are also severely underestimating the damage a poodle can do. Seriously strong and fiercely smart dogs altogether.

That's a really good point, I hadn't thought of it that way. You're right, a lot of people want a dog that reminds them of the dog/dogs they grew up with - and that can include a mongrel of course. And sometimes you end up with a different breed, but it's for a reason such as not having the same lifestyle as parents (you might decide that instead of a hunting dog in your small flat in Dublin, it might be better to get a smaller/calmer dog).

But what's the thinking that would lead someone to go from that to getting an untested brand new type of dog whose main claim to fame seems to be it's developing a reputation for killing its owners or their children?

I can only think that it's for the intimidation value. Which is real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Most who would want such a dog must have issues?

• Advertisement
Advertisement